quitting herbals?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
So who here has quit cold turkey on the herbals? Ive been smoking for about 15 years daily and lately shit is getting out of hand. Im in a haze all day and it sucks anymore. Its killing my motivation and is starting to fuck with my head making me all anti-social and thinking about bullshit too much, like just worrying about stupid things. I get like anxiety attacks from it anymore. Any advice on quiting the sensi? Today has been the first day clean in over a year and i feel like pookie. It sucks too cause i got a bag just chillin and im fighting the urge to take a puff.

Comments

• i puffed every/most days fr about 4 years, off and on for 7, and ended up quitting cold turkey because that anxiety you talked about.

What you don't want to hear me say is that it was the easiest thing to quit every. what you might want to hear me say is that i just decided that the anxiety was my body trying to tell me, 'you had a good run; now, your body is telling you to quit.' so, just see it as a physical signal to make a change, heed your body, and try to replace the ganja with exercise or reading or a glass of wine.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i feel you man. It cant be that hard to stop. Ive been through withdrawal from pills, like oxy and vicodin, and that shit was hard on my body and my mind. Like layin in bed shaking and shit with leg tremors and crazy mood swings. That shit had me FUCKED up for like 2 weeks. It just took time and willpower to get past that. I was lucky though cause dude i was messing with got pinched so it was like a forced quitting. So getting thru the mental shit with herb wont be too bad.

Its just the routine of smoking that fucks with me. Also being bored gets me dreaming about bong hits. Like tonight i had to do a recording all night so i was occupied, but now that im sitting around the crib its like all i can think about.

im bout to get on some "last dance with mary jane" steez and flush the rest of this nugget down the shitter. I think its better to have it out of sight out of mind.

• i'm not any super stoner or anything like that but did smoke daily for some years and the paranoia/anxiety that you speak of. . .i thought that was just a natural symton of being stoned. peace, stein. . .

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've never quit, but at some point after years of
    smoking I realized that if I got in the habit of
    only smoking once or twice, only usually at night
    when I can just chill and listen to records or watch
    a movie or whatever, then my body adapted and that
    smaller amount was all I needed. At this point an 8th
    lasts me around 2 weeks. I cut down on burnout factor,
    and some nights I don't even think about it and realize
    the next day I never smoked at all the past couple of days.

I guess what I'm saying is, moving from constant smoking
    weedhead stage to treating yourself with a little buzz
    when you get home from work or whatever is pretty satisfying,
    and much easier to do than quit. And maybe once you cut down,
    you'll realize you don't need to smoke at all anymore.

i'm not any super stoner or anything like that but did smoke daily for some years and the paranoia/anxiety that you speak of. . .i thought that was just a natural symton of being stoned. peace, stein. . .
    see I never really got to paranoid or anxious till like last year or at least I handled it better. Now its like I feel like locking the doors and hiding behind the couch with the lights off. I think i finally broke something in my brain.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    one way to cut down could be to just start buying stress/schwagg instead... you won't get as paranoid from it [it's the chronic that fucks with your head more] and you probably won't even want to smoke it as much since it's dirt weed.

one way to cut down could be to just start buying stress/schwagg instead... you won't get as paranoid from it [it's the chronic that fucks with your head more] and you probably won't even want to smoke it as much since it's dirt weed.
    thats true and i wouldn't mind that if i had a connect, but honestly i cant even find that shit anymore. All the people i fuck with got the ill headies that are all purple and sugar frosted. Or commerical beasters when the times are hard (which aint too bad).

I would have to roll up to a spot like back in the days for the scwiggity and get the white boy tax (which is a fat sack of oregano). Or wind up getting arrested or my ass robbed/beat. Which i just should do once to get on some "scared straight" shit. I just mess with lil hippy dudes anymore and i get the bangins. They all blow glass too so its like a one stop shop.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    you need to start weening yourself off of it. its the only way i was ever able to stop smoking bud. cigarettes were easier to quit for me.

i usually buy a quarter ounce every week or so. i began to just get an eighth and work that. the following week i would only smoke in the morning and at night. the week after i would only smoke in the evenings. then skip a day... blah blah blah until youre done.

if you have the will power to just stop. then do it. dont think about it or get advice from knuckledheads like us online. just man up and do it. its dumb hard to do but i stopped smoking bud from 97-03. though i try and stop smoking every year for 50 days before my birthday... this year im in too much pain to stop.

quitting an addiction is really hard to do. dont give up and find some inspiration to quit permanently. for me, quitting cigarettes started because i got out of breath once while walking up my stairs after smoking a couple before i went home from the bus. the smell of them shits and the lack of breath made me realize. though bud was a little harder... i cant remember what made me stop smoking for those 6years.

anyway.. good luck.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Yeah i co-sign that. I think cuttin down slowly is the way to go. I have to say weed was the hardest drug for me to give up. I smoked for around six, seven years and everday day for a couple. It needed to be done beacuse it was making me depressed and paranoid. I just halved my consumption for a week. Then halved that again the following week until i was going a few days without smoking at all. Its tuff you have to expect loss of appetite, unable to sleep and mood swings but i think its worth it in the end. Nowdays i probably smoke a joint like twice a year and normally a few puffs and im

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I don't plan on quitting any time soon, but I might have to stop for a couple weeks and flush out with water for a piss test, assuming that is done for apprenticeship employment in this state. I'm young, on the short and slim side, drink a lot of water regularly, take vitamins every day, try to incorporate as much walking or other exercise into my daily routine and have a high metabolism, so when I quit for a few weeks or so for whatever reason, it's no big thing. I still feel the mild irritablity, boredom and withdrawl for a few days, but it's easily overcome by solving crossword puzzles or reading. I try not to watch movies or listen to music as much or at all during this time as the "this would be better if I was buzzed" mentality sets in.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    THC pills............

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    i feel you man. It cant be that hard to stop. Ive been through withdrawal from pills, like oxy and vicodin, and that shit was hard on my body and my mind. Like layin in bed shaking and shit with leg tremors and crazy mood swings. That shit had me FUCKED up for like 2 weeks. It just took time and willpower to get past that. I was lucky though cause dude i was messing with got pinched so it was like a forced quitting. So getting thru the mental shit with herb wont be too bad.

my room mate takes pills all the time and complains of times when he's not taking any sort of pill.

anyway, i smoked weed for a good 6 years straight and then i just abruptly quit for like two ish years. i might have smoked here and there but i literally just stopped with it. i dont even know what made me stop. it wasnt that i was getting lazy. i think it was the paranoia/having shit on your mind factor like many of you have mentioned. its weird though, been smoking lately and i can feel a change in my body, it doesn't feel as good as when i quit (obviously). it is a tough thing to quit though, just have to not do it, not think about it. occupying your mind seems to be the key with most.

but man, that pill shit is crazy
    not to change the subject of the post, but i never realized how many people old, young, whatever are abusing that stuff until i took a look at certain family members.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i was a serious pothead. and its only been about 4 1/2 months cold turkey for me. i never thought i would ever ever ever not smoke weed. but i was in the same situation as you. and one day. i stopped. i honestly dont know how i did it. but i do know that once youre ready, youll do it. i did, and i was a serious addict. i cant really explain it. but, good luck!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I would say, if its getting to you mentally its time to quite. Not cut down, but quite, and give your brain a chance to recover. The more time you spend in a paranoid mind state, the stronger those connections, synapses, or whatever, become. Take a break and if it clears up, you can try some light smoking again.

I'd have to add that coming off weed isn't too hard, not as tough as giving up other chemicals. The part, that got to me most, was the social aspect of being a non-smoker, especially if all your friends are weed heads.

well i made it through last night without smoking. And man did that suck. I layed in bed tossing and turning till like 6 am. Had some crazy ass dreams like dude said i would. But its not to bad. Im feeling more with it already. Its just that i like I realized that going through life as a drug addict is not really a good look, especially when im trying to place myself in a more professional environment. Smoking herb was cool in my teens and in college, but im a grown ass man and i cant afford to take months off of my life at a time due to no motivation and being anti-soical. Basically making myself a shut in which is what ive been doing lately. So with that I dont think i will be blazing soon.

Now the pill shit is crazy. Thats one of those things that creep up on you. You dont think you are becoming an addict till you have a full blown addiction. Its easy to fall into that shit which is what happened to me. Starts off with 2 vics a day for a while just to party, then you move up to 4 a day, then 8 a day, then i wound up taking 15 es360s a day. Then you move onto all and every other opiate you can get your hands on. I was on that shit for over 8 months. And the doctors hand that shit out to people like candy, so everyone is under the false impression that it isnt addictive and you wont have a problem if you take em and they are everywhere. My turning point was when a bunch of my friends called me out and said ive been acting different, getting irritable and itching all the time. Then two days later, my main supplier of oxys got pinched. So i decided that was it and went thru the withdrawal.

Withdrawal from opiates is one of the worst things i ever had to do in my life. I was at home with my family in jerz and had to drive back to pa where i live and I got sick on the ride home. I was shaking so bad i couldnt even drive. I had to get a hotel room in some crazy ass town and layed on the bathroom floor trembling, crying and going out of my mind. The only way i could sleep was to take a bunch of xanex to basically knock myself out. Got up the next day and drove back home and then it really got bad. Couldnt sleep, went thru crazy manic depressive like episodes, stomach was all fucked up, and the leg tremors- ugh the leg tremeors. Laying in bed with your legs just shaking involuntarily was horrible. Coudlnt sleep cause of that for almost a week. I just felt terrible for about 1 week and didnt fully get over it for another week. The thing was all during this time i didnt want more pills which im really happy about. But i still take pills once and a while, which is fucked up.

So all in all the only thing i want to do is drink like once or twice a week. Ive never had any alcohol issues and can handle that shit but the drugs are out of my life now. The older you get the more uncool that shit is towards your mind in body. i dont mind people doing shit and would never preach to anyone about quiting and all that jive, but for me the party is over.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've never quit, but at some point after years of
    smoking I realized that if I got in the habit of
    only smoking once or twice, only usually at night
    when I can just chill and listen to records or watch
    a movie or whatever, then my body adapted and that
    smaller amount was all I needed. At this point an 8th
    lasts me around 2 weeks. I cut down on burnout factor,
    and some nights I don't even think about it and realize
    the next day I never smoked at all the past couple of days.

I guess what I'm saying is, moving from constant smoking
    weedhead stage to treating yourself with a little buzz
    when you get home from work or whatever is pretty satisfying,
    and much easier to do than quit. And maybe once you cut down,
    you'll realize you don't need to smoke at all anymore.

Massive cosine on the above. I was a heavy user for much of my teens and basically used going to uni as a chance to slow it down and turn it back into an occasional treat rather than a daily constant. Now, 10 plus years later, I'll still enjoy a smoke but am always careful to let the weed run out without purchasing more. Normally takes me about a week or so to properly get my mind back to it's sharpest. Plus by that time my apartment etc badly needs a good clean up.

Not only does a break allow you to enjoy it more when you have it again, it costs a hell of a lot less to get stoned when you do next purchase some. It's still one of the most mentally addictive of all the drugs I've fucked with.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    there are different types of bud out there. if youre smoking and always getting paranoid then you need to switch your weed up. i dont smoke a lot of sativas cause, to me, its wack. i dont get a good high, i get a little edgy, and overall, have dumped sacks because of it.

in this day and age of bud production you should not be smoking weed and getting paranoid.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Like it was said, expect crazy dreams.
    If i don't smoke for 4-5 days (rare), i begin to have the most vivid dreams i know of. It's something that you start anticipating and it's an awesome side-effect.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hey Lowendtheory,

Good luck with that shit. Maybe you should speak to a professional and come up with a solid plan. I've never smoked much weed, and all that, but I can relate to some of your issues. Although you probably already know this, it's good to be outdoors instead of being bottled up in your room all the time, nawmean? Outdoors, as in, maybe go hiking sometime. Anyway, take your time with that shit, and don't give up.

peace.
    Yuichi

thanks man. That is what im trying to do is just keep busy. Idle hands are the devils playground. Ive been shovling ice/snow all day so that should help me pass out tonight. I also have a busy week coming up due to a funeral and gigs so i wont have much time to sit around. I dont need any rehab or pro help, i think i already got over the hump. The cravings are weaning which is making me feel pretty good. Herb is just like any other impulsive addiction and once u break out the cycle its easy to get over it. Im just a little worried about getting back to making music, listening to music, and gigs. I know its going to be fine, but it was one of those things that i did when i was high all the time so its going to be weird adapting to those tasks.

Oh and I hear you on the different strains/classes jinx. Sativas actually though make me more energetic and want to work and feel creative. Its the indicas that make me paranoid and feel all doped out like a narcotic. I just dont have the liberty to choose what strains to smoke cause whatever is around is whats around. If i grew my own pot i would have tailored the right nugs for my mind and body, but the way it is now is get whatever you can for the best price and fatest sack. but thanks for all the advice yall. Peace.

I know its going to be fine, but it was one of those things that i did when i was high all the time so its going to be weird adapting to those tasks.

I believe not everyone has the same tools, but everyone can find a way around shit, and find a way to accomplish shit, if they keep at it.

I have a question.

What are the consequences of doing coke, maybe once a week over a year or two?

Do you see behavioral changes? Do people act different? Depression?

My bro and his friends started doing it and i'm worried.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    all of those things and more.

cocaine is a helluva drug

• Blow_FlyBlow_Fly 41 Posts

My friends have been doing coke on the weekends now for 10 years. They're not addicted.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    some good advice on here.
    basically, "if it dont turn you on, you better leave it alone"

i super cosine moderating usage. ive never really stopped burning...but you wont catch me killin blunts, emptying chambers, or even chokin down joints of KB. one hitters, small water pipes,etc with some nice erb gets a happy energetic motivational buzz. i got no time to be stoned. this is a powerful plant, often spiritual and medicinal. we got to treat it with respect and not abuse/burn in excess.

cheesecake is good, but you shouldnt eat 4 slices, twice a day. one slice, couple times a week is more than enough of a good thing. moderation is key.

another thing that helps is to stop buying it. if its around, you are very likely to smoke, since it is very habit forming. dont buy and take a puff when youre around it with friends. you should probably send me the rest of that bag.

good luck

I have a question.

i got no time to be stoned.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah tell your bro to drop that coke BS in a hurry. From a medical perspective that stuff is so bad for you, it will fuck with every facet of your health.

I have a question.

once a week my ass, them fools in the closet doin' bumps mon-sun, fuck coke fuck coke heads, weak ass shit for weak ass people...

So mary jane and alcohol is for the strong?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts