vegetarian eats in nyc?

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
me and the old lady will be around n.y.c the next two days (sat and sun.) and were looking for good vegetarian restaraunts around the lower east side. she found some on google that seemed too weird for me (a non-vegetarian) so maybe some spots that serve good pasta dishes and aren't too far "left" would be perfect. thanks in advance.anyone who wants to meet up and trade hit me through pm, i'm bringing heat down.

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    angelica's kitchen is a staple. for the meat eater, get the open faced tempe samich. benny's burritos has some good veg burritos. and if your down for indian food, chinese mirch is the best indian/chinese food in teh city imo. theres def more, but pretty exculsive to veg.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    max - italian
    4th + b

right nearby (5th + b) is Kate's joint, which I can't personally recommend, but one my best friend's claims it as his favorite veg eateries in the whole city.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Not sure if this is the same one, but a Time Out NY veg eats guide helped me out a few years ago.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I am old skooly vegan/vegetarian so here goes a few faves on the LES

You can eat for free with very good vegan/vegetarian at thompkins sqauare and 7th st/ave A park btw like 11-2 on most weekdays there is a hare krishna/homeless support mobile kitchen.They like to serve anyone so you don't have to be homeless...just hungry or broke.Honestly i haven't hit it in 15 years but its still there.

Kates joint on ave b and the corner of 4th st -amazing,cheap,great food/vibes and soul-personal staple-collard greens /mash potatos/killer sandwiches and the best vegan /vegetarian brunchs ever.When you are done eating at Kate's you go round the corner to Johnny Paycheck's shop on 3rd btw a and b and buy rarer and look at the world's most expensive and aural wallpaper

caravan of dreams- 6th st btwn ave a and 1st ave-more expensive but "healthier" than kate's .Live music and all organic menu and a ton of cooked and raw choices
    super healthy and "clean/organic"menu also they have insane deserts.A-1 records is on the same block

jubb's rejuvination-funky ass juice bar/raw spot that has insane smoothees and deserts.The owner is a bi punk rock raw liquidtarian so they take their blends serious.Also a bit down the same block is big city records which is a great store
    12th st just off of ave A

angelika's-lower east side macro/vegan/vegetarian for 30 years simple/organic but good
    a fave of the late great joey ramone

zen pallatte-16th st and union squaure-fake mock meat gourmet/fusion chinese wheat gluten spot.They also do these huge soup bowls filled with everything
    very good and cheap

whole foods[the evil empire] -14th st btw 5th and uni

farmers market union square-ck their website for days and times

commoditties-old school health food store on 1st ave btw 10th and 11th st

juice bar/snack shack on the corner of 1st ave and 1st street across from the playground.Great bananna bread and killer juices/smothees fast and cheap

vegetarian paradise on 4th st just in off 6th ave-more in the west village but they do the fake meat/duck/soul food thing like no one else

avoid souen and organic grill-both are overpriced /boring/lackluster

for real ital/jamican vege you need to hit the bx or bklyn

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    bambouche took me to this one spot where they don't have salt or hot sauce...what's that place? the food was OK, and the no salt thing is kinda funny in a tyrannical kinda way, but i draw the line at hot suace. what kind of place doesn't have any hot sauce? i think they gave me some paprika instead. i mean really.

at least the company was stellar.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    haha...no hot sauce. gthfoohwtbs

yo, i second Caravan of Dreams.went there wit whitelily last year and we ate like some arab shieks.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Massive cosign on Kate's Joint, Angelica's, and Benny's Burritos.

max - italian
    4th + b

I took a girl there last month and she complained about both her fennel salad (good but too much of one unusual flavor) and her pollo capriccioso (too rubbery), though those assessments were colored by her lack of sleep, enthusiasm and, quite possibly, manners. Aleit knows the scoop on that whole ordeal.

My penne al pomodoro fresco e basilico was ok though - nothing special, but good. The place was crowded & cramped but it's still a nice cozy atmosphere. So cozy that the couple sitting next to us struck up a conversation with me and then showed up at my gig at Beauty Bar that night. The guy insisted I was in a band with a girl he knew, and his date kept on touching my leg and imploring any female friend I was currently conversing with to "Touch his pants! They're SOOOO SOFT!"

• takahachi's tofu steak with mushrooms is one of the best $6 deals downtown. 100% on point. round it out with a couple okra or asparagus yakitori and some brown rice and you're good.

b&h dairy makes amazing vegetarian soups and has the most dynamite challah bread in the vill.

max is ok but the eurotrash and progressive trance kind of fuck it up for me. better food and better vibe at lil frankies - taleggio / wild mushroom pizza is real nice.

haveli has the best indian - chana shaag.

i don't really get with the kate's caravan of qunitessence or whatever. "nut flour pasta ravioli filled with nutmeat with nut sauce" and shit. uh cool but i'll just eat some vegetables if i'm a vegetarian

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    max is ok but the eurotrash and progressive trance

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    oh yeah
    my fave indian spot is on second ave btw 4th/5th -MADRAS
    its a vegetarian /vegan menu and they have these sick thali's for 14 bucks
    stoner food maximus
    mulgitwanny soup with a twist of lemon is off the linx

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    can't say I was terribly impressed w/ kate's joint. It was lackluster.....

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    For that bomb-ass italian on the cheap go to il coralo on prince between thompson and sullivan. All the pastas are homemade, and they have a rather extensive list. The pappardelle al funghi is whoa, and so is the rigatoni padani.

Rice on Mott (on Mott between Spring and Prince) is nice, nothing outstanding but solid, and quick and they have vegetarian as well as meat options.

Cosmic Cantina on 13th and 3rd is pretty necessary good cheap organic mexican open till 5am with three dollar beers! Vegetarian and meat.

Sarita's Mac'n cheese on 12th between 1st and A (closer to A) is wildin on the heart meal tip.

I will cosign on Caravan of Dreams.

Zen Palate ahs gone downhill. It got bought out recently and the quality, and consistency are not there anymore.

Gobo on 6th Ave. between Waverly and 9th (or near there, it's on the West side of sixth Ave.)

Azuri's falafel is nowhere near where you're going, but it's the only good falafel restaurant that I've found, and it's worth the trek. It's on 51st at tenth ave. If you go get your falafel with everything on it.

Tell homegirl to do herself a favor and buy the veg out vegetarian guide to new york.

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts

I will cosign on Caravan of Dreams.

get the angel toast. anyone who doesn't like it ain' worth your time.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Zen Palate ahs gone downhill. It got bought out recently and the quality, and consistency are not there anymore.

this is a huge tragedy, i was addicted to that place for years! wtf. bummer... ill probably still try my luck next time im there, it was that good. (were all 3 locations affected???)

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    karen's corner @ astro place is a nice health food/deli spot. not too pricey, and the unturkey is definitly unfukwitable.

theres a buddhist koren spot ive been to once. its the real deal no shoos type shit. kinda pricey, but its a nice dinner spot:

http://www.hangawirestaurant.com/

o this joint in chelsea is AWESOME: Bright Food Shop: where the southeast meets the far east. kinda corny, but the quesidilla are unbelievalbe. check it at lunch time though, they're menu stays the same for dinner, but they add $10 to every meal ?!?!? not straight up veg food to, but they veg meals are defintly good.

hope this helps

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hey if we are gonna start listing pricey spots on 32nd St., then this place is closer.... best veggie pizza menu out there. And cheap.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Yeah Kate's is a nice atmosphere, which probably mkes people think their fried tofu tastes better. I generally avoid fake meat though.

Mamoun's Fallafel on Thompson/Sullivan? is worth checking out, although I haven't been there in a while. Fastest food on the planet, your order will be ready before you order. Almost.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I hate mamouns. Dry ass wasteland falafel.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

this is a huge tragedy, i was addicted to that place for years! wtf. bummer... ill probably still try my luck next time im there, it was that good. (were all 3 locations affected???)

I'm not sure, I've only been to the USQ spot. It's not terrible, I still eat there occasionally, but not often. Gobo is owned by their kids.