Radio Show Shout Outs

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I think I posted something about this before but I can't find the post. Anyway, I'm doing this tribute to the history of hip hop radio starting saturday. Here is my basic shout out list. What are some other key influential or important radio show figures you would include:JOCKO HENDERSONGARY BYRDSONNY HOPSONMR MAGICMARLEY MARLZULU BEATS (AFRIKA ISLAM & DONALD D)WORLD FAMOUS SUPREME TEAMAWESOME TWORED ALERTCHUCK CHILLOUTLADY BNASTY NESSMIXMASTER GEEDETROIT: THE WIZARD, ELECTRIFYING MOJOJP CHILLLATIN RASCALSSHEP PETTIBONETONY HUMPHRIESSTRETCH & BOBITTOKDAY MIXMASTERSGREG MACKCHICAGO: PINKHOUSE, FIRST LADY, RAMONSKI LOVE, P LEE FRESH, LARRY LAR & SWEET MD, THIRD RAIL, TIME TRAVEL, MOLEMENWAKE UP SHOWDR DRE OF ORIGINAL CONCEPTWILDMAN STEVE & DJ RIZMIKE NARDONEKEVVY KEVPOETESSDAVE PEARCESTU ALLENJOHN PEEL TIM WESTWOOD

Comments

• Davey D?

• That's a pretty solid list, so forgive me if you've left these cats off on purpose, but Funkmaster Flex and Kay Slay.

• dan greenpeace for the u.k. headz. peace, stein. . .

• M_SMOOTHM_SMOOTH 11 Posts
    KutMasta Kurt: 85-88 KUSP (Santa Cruz) , 88-94 KZSU with Kevvy Kev (The Drum Stanford University)

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    B-Mello in Seattle (don't sleep - dude held it down)
    Phat Phillie in Croatia
    Katharina Weingarten in Austria

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Frankie Crocker?

• wow I have no idea how I could forget B-mello and Davey D...I'm trippin!! I have Kevvy Kev down there. I'm not familiar with the other guys mentioned.

Oh, I had Frankie Crocker originally and I debated putting him on the list....I guess I thought of him as an "enabler" for the most part. I should probably do my research. I thought he was more of the Program Director at WBLS. I know he brought Magic over there. I think it's just because I remember reading articles with people saying he didn't really "support rap" he just thought it was hot and did what he had to do to get ratings. Isnt' he the guy who originally cancelled Magic's show after he tried to get him do the "quiet storm" because "rap was over"....ha. I remember reading something like that.

Anyway, I'm just rambling off memory and I honestly don't know how accuarate any of that is, I think it just gave me a bad taste....I should probably investigate it further. Anybody know the Frankie Crocker rap story???

• That's a pretty solid list, so forgive me if you've left these cats off on purpose, but Funkmaster Flex and Kay Slay.

thanx...honestly I think I'm hating on Flex...ha. and I guess I don't know Kay Slay for radio. Just for Graf and Mixtapes....

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    howard stern