"Go Brooklyn" OG???

captainplanetcaptainplanet 626 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
anyone know who got sampled? "Doin It" by LL Cool J used it among countless others. I'm trying to get my hands on it. knowledge or MP3 would be much appreciated. and I'll save you the time from postin that breaks.com graemlin, it ain't there.

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Top Billin

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    it's a short bonus track on stetsasonic "on fire" 12"

• thanks. damn, that was an easy one. makin me feel stupid.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it's a short bonus track on stetsasonic "Go Stetsa I"[/b] 12"

• I always thought it was Roy Ayres Ubiquity, Coffey Soundtrack...But, I'm probably wrong because It don't have that Lp...

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Top Billin' REMIX I believe.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Pete Rock & CL Smooth - If It Aint Rough, It Aint Right

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    maybe that was it. i'm not near my records right now, but it's definitely one if the first 2 stetsa 12"s

it is. im two feet away from it right now.

• the first time (the echoed go brooklyn chant) was go stetsa.. allthough i've seen huge arguements on even that. People argue if it's them actually saying it or if they got it elsewhere and made it the way everyone uses it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the first time (the echoed go brooklyn chant) was go stetsa.. allthough i've seen huge arguements on even that. People argue if it's them actually saying it or if they got it elsewhere and made it the way everyone uses it.

it's them saying it over a drum. very un-sequenced (try mixing it). definitely not a loop.

• the first time (the echoed go brooklyn chant) was go stetsa.. allthough i've seen huge arguements on even that. People argue if it's them actually saying it or if they got it elsewhere and made it the way everyone uses it.

it's them saying it over a drum. very un-sequenced (try mixing it). definitely not a loop.

oh yeah. I'm with you. I never thought it came from elsewhere. It's just crazy the amounts of people i've seen say other things. They just say "i don't think stetsa is the og" even though they have nothing else to say about where it's from.

funny enough, if you search the breaks, there's like 5 pager on this.

• Yes, it is Stetsasonic "Go Brooklyn 1" on the "Go Stetsa" 12" (which is on the "On Fire" LP). And the reason it doesn't sound sequenced is because it's a live drummer. That's DBC on the drums.

here it is, BPMd and microwave ready:

http://rapidshare.com/files/21218269/Go_Brooklyn_I.mp3.html

• it's a short bonus track on stetsasonic "Go Stetsa I"[/b] 12"

yeah, I got this somewhere at home, but many thanks for the MP3. I'm at work making a song with one of my students... this is gonna get them HYPE!

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    The "Go Brooklyn" sample is 100% no sample. Thats all Stet members shouting that together.

Compare it to all the Stet chants on "On Fire" or "In Full Gear" and you will hear that it is the same tone.

Compare it to the horn section of Kool & The Gang. You always know that it is K&TG because of their horn sound. Only them can sound like that.

Here it is the same. When these 6 guys shout together it got a certain sound that only these 6 can create.

Little trivia on top:

The production for "Top Billin'" was done by Daddy-O so to get the "Go Brooklyn" chant and reuse it for his own production is logical in a way.

I also heard that the drum pattern of "Top Billin'" came out of a mistake. Can someone confirm this story ????

Peace
    Hawkeye

• The "Go Brooklyn" sample is 100% no sample. Thats all Stet members shouting that together.

Compare it to all the Stet chants on "On Fire" or "In Full Gear" and you will hear that it is the same tone.

Compare it to the horn section of Kool & The Gang. You always know that it is K&TG because of their horn sound. Only them can sound like that.

Here it is the same. When these 6 guys shout together it got a certain sound that only these 6 can create.

Little trivia on top:

The production for "Top Billin'" was done by Daddy-O so to get the "Go Brooklyn" chant and reuse it for his own production is logical in a way.

I also heard that the drum pattern of "Top Billin'" came out of a mistake. Can someone confirm this story ????

Peace
    Hawkeye

I have heard that story a few times as well...and it happened to Phil Most Chill as well for his classic "On Tempo Jack"

I really wish I could remember where I read that article, can anyone help?

peace

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    You are saying that the drum pattern for "On Tempo Jack" was a mistake ???

I mean the flow of the drums are dope as hell, but not THAT ab-norm like the "Top Billin'" pattern.

Did Phill say the whole pattern was a mistake or just a part like the bassdrum or hihat programing ??

Peace
    Hawkeye

plaese to forgive my stupidity but is that the full version of the song or did u just record the intro & fade it?

if there's more - can you post the full song?

its a short bonus beat.

• I also heard that the drum pattern of "Top Billin'" came out of a mistake. Can someone confirm this story ????

I always heard that they were trying to program the "Impeach the President" drums and didn't get it right but liked how it sounded anyway.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• You are saying that the drum pattern for "On Tempo Jack" was a mistake ???

I mean the flow of the drums are dope as hell, but not THAT ab-norm like the "Top Billin'" pattern.

Did Phill say the whole pattern was a mistake or just a part like the bassdrum or hihat programing ??

Peace
    Hawkeye

I was told it was done with a foot trigger and a numark or gemini mixer sampler.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    You are saying that the drum pattern for "On Tempo Jack" was a mistake ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

I was told it was done with a foot trigger and a numark or gemini mixer sampler.

LOLol!!!

Naw, it was no mistake. Just the result of using limited machinery (Casio RZ-1... no truncation and minimal sampling time). Had to chop that beetatch, replay it and try to make it fonkay. I think that random rap article in Grandslam made it sound like it was a mistake or a glitch or something... naw. I've made plenty of mistakes, but that wasn't one of 'em I can understand how it might sound kinda Top Billin-esque, cuz that damned Impeach high hat keeps coming in kinda crazy... just couldn't truncate it out (probably a good thing, too)

• plaese to forgive my stupidity but is that the full version of the song or did u just record the intro & fade it?

if there's more - can you post the full song?

its a short bonus beat.

yup, that's the whole track as it is straight from the vinyl.