Jackson 5 Appreciation Post

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Anyone elses copy of ABC paper thin? When I pick up mine holding just one side it bends. It's like two or three sheets of paper glued together.

My copy is not that thin. Maybe you own a later pressing if there is such a thing.

J5 under-the-radar cut: part one of "I Am Love"

Not quite unknown. "I Am Love" was a massive hit single for them back in the time, although you hardly ever hear it on oldies or dusties formats today. It's a fine ballad - AT FIRST. Then that funk jam kicks in at the end...great record.
    Check out how Kid Capri flipped that break on his first album. THIS IS WHAT YOU CAME HERE FOR. He used that bassline first. I think Biz produced that shit.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Y'all sleepin'!!!!

Y'all sleepin'!!!!

you went to the neverland site. damn good work. i know you dont own that shit.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Y'all sleepin'!!!!

As Indiana 45s go, "Big Boy" is not actually that impossible to come by, especially if you live in the midwest. I know at least 3 people that have found it in the last year, though, sadly, I'm not one of them. Good tune.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    "JAM SESSION"[/b]

"big boy" = unrare in chicagoland.

I have the cd reissue from those pre motown sessions. The audio is terrible. I wonder what the wax sounds like.

I copped the T.V. special that this album accompanies on video cassette. The tape also has the Jacksons Live in the UK television. Destiny album tour. Shit is crazy. Its right before OFF THE WALL and the brothers are workin' out like EWF!!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Y'all sleepin'!!!!

I passed on this about a year ago in a small shop outside of Philly.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Y'all sleepin'!!!!

As Indiana 45s go, "Big Boy" is not actually that impossible to come by, especially if you live in the midwest. I know at least 3 people that have found it in the last year, though, sadly, I'm not one of them. Good tune.

I've got a copy, but it's a later pressing distributed by Atlantic. This actually was a hit in Chicago; it still gets played on dusties shows from time to time.

I just KNEW somebody'd mention the Steeltown sides sooner or later. Another good one from that time was "You Don't Have To Be Over 21 To Fall In Love" b/w a crude, garagey instrumental called, appropriately, "Jam Session" (with little Michael introing each member!).

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    anyone know if 'It's great to be here' is available on 45? Always looking for that one and not finding...

I think you can stop lookin' pretty sure it was never a single. There's a slim chance that it may be on a non-US 45 as a b-side.

Thanks for the reply, been hoping to find it for a long time.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

I always loved their version of 'I'll Bet You' (the Funkadelic tune)

hold up. i've been looking for this track for ages now.

is "i bet you" on this LP?

• I always loved their version of 'I'll Bet You' (the Funkadelic tune)

Sho'nuff it is...

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    dope!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    their version of walk on by is beyond raw...the shit is bonkers...

• rorororo 22 Posts
    Y'all sleepin'!!!!

can someone upload this song please ???
    i can't find it.....

• And with the Xmas season practically here, I gotta big-up "Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year." After you get past the goofy spoken bit at the beginning (and I thought Mel & Tim's "Starting All Over Again" had some wooden dialogue), Jermaine is just tearing his heart out on this fine soul ballad. It's on Christmas Album, of course, and it was also the B-side of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"

And with the Xmas season practically here, I gotta big-up "Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year." After you get past the goofy spoken bit at the beginning (and I thought Mel & Tim's "Starting All Over Again" had some wooden dialogue), Jermaine is just tearing his heart out on this fine soul ballad. It's on Christmas Album, of course, and it was also the B-side of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"

Give Love On Christmas Day

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    ...Hum Along & Dance.

Yep,

also one of my favs. This song is ill. Another dope track is "It's Great To Be Here" from their Maybe Tomorrow LP.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I always loved their version of 'I'll Bet You' (the Funkadelic tune)

Sho'nuff it is...

It can also be found on a cardboard flexi originally on a cereal box...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    if you want to be appreciating some old ass tight as fuck jackson 5 rehearsal footage, and u missed it before, here it is:

http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3UC9EG926M37R0EWJ91LODDPIY

• great thread. Actually, J5 is my next compilation CD I'm making for myself (gotta have those road trip cds). Here's what I'm thinking about putting on the disc(s) (might be two volumes). Am I missing anything critical?? Anybody want to put up mp3s of the Steeltown stuff, I never heard any of that...

I Want You Back

ABC

The Love You Save

I'll Bet You

It's Great To Be Here

Get It Together

Pride & Joy

Hum Along and Dance

2-4-6-8

I'll Be There

Momma I Gotta Brand New Thing

Dancing Machine

Whatever You Got

I Am Love

How Funky Is Your Chicken

If I Have To Move A Mountain

Daddy's Home Live In Japan

ain't no sunshine (MJ)

I wanna be where you are (MJ)

Euphoria (MJ)

got to be there (MJ)

it's your thing

??

The Young Folks

Sugar Daddy

Little Bitty Pretty One

Never Can Say Goodbye

Can I See You In The Norning

It's too late to change the time

walk on by (live)

ready or not

• Some faves of mine that should be included:
    - "That's How Love Goes" (Jermaine solo)
    - "Corner Of The Sky"
    - "Looking Through The Windows"
    - "Oh How Happy" (featuring Berry Gordy on bass vocals!)
    - "Maybe Tomorrow"
    - "Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year" (yes, it's seasonal, but when a song is this good I'm not gonna wait till the day after Thanksgiving to hear it)

great thread. Actually, J5 is my next compilation CD I'm making for myself (gotta have those road trip cds). Here's what I'm thinking about putting on the disc(s) (might be two volumes). Am I missing anything critical??

• Does dancing machine get no love?

as dancfloor tunes goes i have always gotten a good response from it. Plus theres always this -

to consider.

A road trip cd needs this................

This iz a JACKSONS LP, not the Jackson 5. If you needed to make a Vol.2 the Jacksons have enough to fill a cd.

• Does dancing machine get no love?

yes it does, thats why djnikoless had it on the list a few posts back

There's a CD going around on some budget label that has the J-5's early, pre-Motown sides...with overdubbed instrumentation. That's right, slick synths and electronic drums overlaid on these raw early sides, as if they were hoping to get it on the radio or something. WTF? But it's actually quite funny once you get over that, 'specially on "A Change Is Gonna Come," where both bands fall out of sync with each other...

• I've been slepping hella hard on "heartbreak hotel", a great tune! and you can find the extended version of "shake you body down to the grown" easily, especially if you deejay.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    There's a CD going around on some budget label that has the J-5's early, pre-Motown sides...with overdubbed instrumentation. That's right, slick synths and electronic drums overlaid on these raw early sides, as if they were hoping to get it on the radio or something. WTF? But it's actually quite funny once you get over that, 'specially on "A Change Is Gonna Come," where both bands fall out of sync with each other...

yeah, i got this record and traded it back right away.

yeah, i got this record and traded it back right away.

I had doubts about this CD even before I laid down cash for it, but I figured, ahhh, what the hell, it's $5 at a flea market, the worst that can happen is that I'll have something to laugh at (which I did).