Give the Drummer Some sample??

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i always hear its the dee felice trio version of "there was a time" panned, but isnt it actually the james brown version panned??

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    i always hear its the dee felice trio version of "there was a time" panned, but isnt it actually the james brown version panned??

but isn't they the same?

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Yeah I always asked myself the same question.

As far as I know it. The Dee Felice Trio played two versions of that tune.

One version is on their LP, thats the second one of your links. That is not the sampled one.

The sampled one is a version off of a 45 from that tune, and as far as I know this 45 version was played by Dee Fellice Trio too.

It can also be found on the James Browns Funky People Vol.3 compilation:

Dee Felice Trio - There was a Time / Link from Amazon

So everybody which bought the Dee Felice Trio LP because they wanted the sample from Ultra and from Chubb Rocks Treat em Right are fooled by all the shops.

Me too !!!!

Because every online shop is writing that Ultra sampled from that record.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    aahhh yes, which is also the version on the JB Gettin Down To It lp.

cool.

You can compare it with the Jimmy Custor Bunch - It's Just Begun.

Everbody got the LP version, the sampled version is the LP version, the Alpha Omega 12" is from the LP.

But there is a 45 of It's Just Begun and the version is much rawer than the LP.

But I still dont know if the LP version is replayed, which means another recording or if its just re-mixed, which would mean they just mixed it again and put more reverb on the horns and stuff.

Here is the 45 version (There are some skips, as the record is not mint anymore )

Jimmy Castor Bunch - It's Just Begun (45 Version)

Peace
    Hawkeye

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The sampled one is a version off of a 45 from that tune, and as far as I know this 45 version was played by Dee Fellice Trio too.

OK, but I have a 45 of "There Was a Time" by DFT, and it is definitely not the one that Ultra sampled. I can't listen to anything while I'm at work, so I'm not sure if it's the same non-sampled version that's posted above, but I'm assuming it is. Are there two different 45 versions?

That would be strange I think !!!

But maybe the version on James Browns Funky People Vol. 3 is only labeled Dee Felice Trio because they played it for Brown, but they never released it under there own name.

Please check it at home, I'm curoius !!!!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye

• The Ultra sounding version is on on the black label "bethlehem" pressing rather than the blue label one...

Theres at least 2 diff pressings of the "its Just Begun" 45

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Somewhat related...I just heard some version on a J Rocc mix where the horns are up front and I believe play the melody? Does anyone know of this version?...I have looked quite a bit and can't find where its from...I guess the question I am asking is, are there other versions of "There was a Time" (excluding the live, faster versions...I am aware of those). Thanks for the help.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Ultra sounding version is on on the black label "bethlehem" pressing rather than the blue label one...

Ah, that's what's up. I have the blue-tinted King-label one.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The Ultra sounding version is on on the black label "bethlehem" pressing rather than the blue label one...

Theres at least 2 diff pressings of the "its Just Begun" 45

Yeah, there's the USA pressing on Kinetic, and I have an Italian picture sleeve pressing as well.

I'm guessing the italian pic issue is probably the same as the LP version since it's also on RCA. I should probably check that.