dave chappelle VS. chris rock

2»

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "People always say rap is misogynistic and degrading to women, but what I realize man is that women that like rap don't give a fuck!"

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Sometimes gettin serious about comedy ain't, well, funny, but still I wanna say:

Listen to the 'landscapes' Chappelle sets up to his stories. Take his stuck in a limo in the ghetto story with the baby on the street corner: there's lots in there that aren't punchlines. But they are the reasons why for some less than apparent reason, people like him so much. His comedy is very personal, and it has an angle.

I even feel frustrated that so much of his audience from his TV show ain't appreciating more of his work. Or even just taking him as clever as he is. At times it seems even condescending, like peoples yelling those lines from the show during Chappelle's standups. I am talking along the lines of the conversation between him and Questlove in Block Party: "Dave's like us in that his audience don't look like us." Heavy.

Anyway, as you can tell I like dude a lot. Rock is my other favorite, really.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    tie, tie, tie

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Rock is undeniably funny but I just like Dave Chapelle more..he makes me laugh harder. end of story.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

these are the greatest graemlins.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    there's lots in there that aren't punchlines. But they are the reasons why for some less than apparent reason, people like him so much. His comedy is very personal, and it has an angle.

true.

the conversation between him and Questlove in Block Party: "Dave's like us in that his audience don't look like us." Heavy.

NOT heavy. at all.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    What's everyones thoughts on Sinbad? Last time I saw his stand up (which has been years) I remember it being hilarious. Add some of his stand-up to my Netflix queue.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    What's everyones thoughts on Sinbad?

ummmm, Sinbad. yeah. seems like a "great guy." someone I could have a beer with and talk sports. ya know, like that.

If you want a direct link to Richard Pryor look no further than:

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    What's everyones thoughts on Sinbad? Last time I saw his stand up (which has been years) I remember it being hilarious. Add some of his stand-up to my Netflix queue.

your kidding right?

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    Pin Ball!

Sometimes gettin serious about comedy ain't, well, funny, but still I wanna say:

Listen to the 'landscapes' Chappelle sets up to his stories. Take his stuck in a limo in the ghetto story with the baby on the street corner: there's lots in there that aren't punchlines. But they are the reasons why for some less than apparent reason, people like him so much. His comedy is very personal, and it has an angle.

I even feel frustrated that so much of his audience from his TV show ain't appreciating more of his work. Or even just taking him as clever as he is. At times it seems even condescending, like peoples yelling those lines from the show during Chappelle's standups. I am talking along the lines of the conversation between him and Questlove in Block Party: "Dave's like us in that his audience don't look like us." Heavy.

Anyway, as you can tell I like dude a lot. Rock is my other favorite, really.

This was what I was alluding to earlier about both Pryor and Chappelle being superior story tellers.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    It's been said that Chappelle doesn't script his stand up. Straight off the dome, which would account for the continuity of his performances.

They're 2 different types of black comedy as someone pointed out. And also 2 different generations, really. And both bomb as fuck at what they do.

Chappelle is a stoner sketch comedy type and Chris Rock is a more socially conscious movie actor.

Bigger and Blacker is a straight concept album, but wouldn't have been what it is without Prince Paul.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Chappelle is a stoner sketch comedy type

And this is what I was talking about when I said that some of his 'fans' can seem condescending. I mean, on one level it is, but there's so much more. You are missin out.

• I like Rock's ideas/material more, but his delivery grates on me after about 10 minutes. Raspy, yelling rants that get old. I would prefer more variety in his tone. Some razor sharp observations/quotables though. Bullet control just came up at work the other day.

Chapelle's stand up has one of my favorite stand up moments ever, when he did his, 'i'm a connoseur of racism. The south? Mmwa! That's good racism!' Chapelle's show has great moments, but i think it works better as a greatest hits, rather than whole episodes.

They're both GREAT, though neither are flawless.

It's been said that Chappelle doesn't script his stand up. Straight off the dome, which would account for the continuity of his performances.

I don't know about that. He works out routines and then goes to comedy clubs to perfect them. I think I have some DVD of his where they showed some clips of him at a club in SF trying out skits that later showed up in a cable TV special.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    Chappelle is a stoner sketch comedy type

And this is what I was talking about when I said that some of his 'fans' can seem condescending. I mean, on one level it is, but there's so much more. You are missin out.

Sure you could fill GB's of web space up with an analysis of his comic genius, where it comes from, what he means, and how he does it, but to generalize his style in a few words as compared to Chris Rock's... There you go.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts

I don't know about that. He works out routines and then goes to comedy clubs to perfect them. I think I have some DVD of his where they showed some clips of him at a club in SF trying out skits that later showed up in a cable TV special.

Shit was what his homie Neil said on the commentary for the Lost Episodes.