tie. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Chris Rock.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Chris Rock.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Chris Rock's stand-up is worlds better than Chappelle's. Chappelle's stand up, well, kind of sucks. Haven't seen Everybody Hates Chris but, come on, against Chappelle Show? No contest.

Tie.

First let it be known that Chappelle's show was not all that.

Chris rock's first two standup videos are among the best ever (raw and delirious level for sure): solid material throughout; no lulls in the energy; no forced tranisitions or awkward pauses.

That said, "Killing them Softly" is a hardasfuck stand-up video as well, and Chappelle's turn in Nutty Professor as Reggie was a tour-de-force.

I like them both. But Rock has had a long and more varied career (Boomerang, New Jack City, his talk show) so it's hard to compare them.

• i just said to someone yesterday that they should tour together and sell out arenas at 125 a ticket. . .

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Chris has way better stand-up, no doubt.

Chappelle's show was hilarious, but the writing is not all him. Much funnier than any TV/acting Rock has ever done.

As Einstein said, it's a tie.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    both are great. Chappelle probably has more diverse range, Rock is a fierce stand-up maybe a little more socially concious then the stoner-slacker Chappelle although a lot of their material is pretty much interchangable.

I'll have to give the nod to Rock for his role as Playboy Mansion Valet in Beverley Hills Cop II though. the fact he didn't get a nomination proves that the Academy is racist.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i agree on the tie, but chapelle skates better.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Chris rock's first two standup videos are among the best ever (raw and delirious level for sure): solid material throughout; no lulls in the energy; no forced tranisitions or awkward pauses.

The lineage is Richard Pryor to Eddie Murphy to Chris Rock who still carries the torch.

That said, Chappelle can be a funny bastard. Just not as consistent.

Chris Rock.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    Chappelle's story telling is unfuckwittable.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    so i guess im the only one who thinks chris rock is annoying?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Chappelle has some hilarious stand-up. I'm not sure what DVD it was, but one of his specials had me dying. Didn't think I knew about grape juice, did you?

Chris Rock had some great lines on Letterman a few nights ago, talking about: Leave Barry Bonds alone... Babe Ruth had racism... Barry Bonds had pills... Sports isn't sports without black people, it's just a game.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    i just said to someone yesterday that they should tour together and sell out arenas at 125 a ticket. . .

and it wouldn't need to be $125 a ticket - just do multiple nights!

They could probably do it for $50 $125 after Ticketmaster fees.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    yeah, I'm surprised more people aren't riding for Chapelle's stand-up.

For What It's Worth brings me to tears nearly every time I watch it.

Y'all keep fucking these people if you want to, more monkey pussy for me!

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    They could probably do it for $50 $125 after Ticketmaster fees.

whining about TM fees is like akin to whining about other people's willingness to pay top dollar for records you wish you had. t

For sure. I don't know if my post qualifies as whining though. Pay for what you want. If it ain't worth it, don't pay.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Chris Rock for Stand up. But he can't act for shit (except as a crackhead for some reason?).
    Chappelle had the sketch comedy on smash before he lost it.

TIE.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    classic chappelle standup is great, his shit on doing mushrooms for the first time and getting picked up by the cops for robbing his own house = hilarious

• Chocolate?!? This is doo doo baby.

I voten for Rock

and rootless, you failed your anti-graem campaign in your first post. sorry.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    easily Chris Rock

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    eddie murphy buries them both, but i think chris rock has a better standup routine because he doesnt just tell jokes, but basically gives a funny speech about whats going on in the world. chappelle tells stories and i probably laughed more watching his standup, but Rock is more relevant.

in '97, when he just started getting big, i called up ticketmaster for seats to Rock's standup show on the night he was playing in philly. all the tickets were the same price and i figured i would be in the nose blead section. we got there a little late and started looking for our seats and couldnt find them. it turned out that they added a row...in front of row 1. ha! front-row-center for chris rock. not bad.

Chocolate?!? This is doo doo baby.

I voten for Rock

and rootless, you failed your anti-graem campaign in your first post. sorry.

why we gotta compare these two. cause they both happen to be black? :5pager:

kidding.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

The lineage is Richard Pryor to Eddie Murphy to Chris Rock who still carries the torch.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Rock = GOAT.

Chappelle is fantastic, but really the only reason he's even mentioned in the same sentence is because his little catch phrases got hot. And I don't see what I'm Rick James Bitch has to do with stand up comedy.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    chris rock has more socially relevant material, but i'd say 'killing them softly' is just as good as either of chris rock's 2 classic standup routines.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I would say that Dave Chappelle has a lot more in common with Richard Pryor than Chris Rock IMO. I like their story telling much better.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Maybe we should re-poll after "I think i love my wife" drops.
    non-?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts