Tribe VS. De La

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Tribe. I loved De La, but never understood a word they were saying. Shit was all mumbling. Great beats & concepts, tho.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

de la as MCs > tribe as MCs

Absurd

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Well that's the weakest of their first three LPs, imho. I also find People's Instinctive Travels unlistenable.

Vay es meir.

How many times have you listened to Three Feet High and Rising this year?

Well that's the weakest of their first three LPs, imho. I also find People's Instinctive Travels unlistenable. I still listen to Bulhoone and Is Dead frequently.

Well, I also prefer the second one and, of the three, will soonest reach for the third one... but it's really the first two that are generally viewed as the foundation of their "greatness". I choose the unrepresentative work.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Tribe. No real justifiable reason other than personal taste.

Same here, although I enjoy De La just as much, when pushed to choose Tribe wins.

In terms of a live show I've seen De La 3 or 4 times and they have varied in quality from excellent to ok, always in front of a sold out audience

However the one time I saw Tribe (As a replacement for a cancelled 3rd Bass Show) when they were promoting "The Low End Theory" they were amazing, especially as there was only 12 people in the audience !!!!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    the real question:

vs.

"I was born in the boogey down cat-scan..."

I went back to The Low End Theory the other week and found myself surprisingly bored.

De La Soul is Dead however still gets regular burn.

i always liked Dave/Dove/Trugoy/Dr.Ama better!

especially on the later albums...

• production of tribe records > production on de la records

This statement is a sign of a serious crack problem. might want to look into rehab.

de la for me; tribe meant more at the time, but De La has aged much better, and has more solid albums- but, I dig on Stakes is High, and yes, we've had that debate before, and that is a minority opinion, and that's fine.

Buhloone Mindstate is a CLASSIC. YEAH, I SAID THE 'C' word! now, ban me from waxidermy...

they're both great and their debuts both kind of suck.

totally disagree.

Can I kick it? Bonita Applebaum? Plug Tunin? Buddy?

Who's got a better debut? Rich Boy?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I upped this on Utube awhile back.

If all I ever saw was this, it would be enough.

production of tribe records > production on de la records

This statement is a sign of a serious crack problem. might want to look into rehab.

de la for me; tribe meant more at the time, but De La has aged much better, and has more solid albums- but, I dig on Stakes is High, and yes, we've had that debate before, and that is a minority opinion, and that's fine.

Buhloone Mindstate is a CLASSIC. YEAH, I SAID THE 'C' word! now, ban me from waxidermy...

It is you who is on drugz!

And if you are even thinking about testing me, I should warn you that I teach middle school!

I upped this on Utube awhile back.

If all I ever saw was this, it would be enough.

I remember seeing this on Video Music Box and i was sold! They were my all-time favorite group in 8th grade and in some waysI think they still are.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I think Bulhoone has aged better than Midnight Marauders. But Low End Theory has aged better than De La Soul Is Dead.

All their other terds are pretty much on par. So I see it as a toss up.

• production of tribe records > production on de la records

It is you who is on drugz!

And if you are even thinking about testing me, I should warn you that I teach middle school!

I bow to the seventh grade authority on Early 90s Hip Hop DRAMA, yo!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i would say tribe overall, if i was to go song by song, album by album.... but damn man, right now i wanna go home and put on stakes is high.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was just listening to Stakes is High on my train ride home. I still love all De La's records. They're more personal for me, but Tribe seem to be more party records.

De La.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    ----Well im biased.

I think Bulhoone has aged better than Midnight Marauders.

Please be serious

But Low End Theory has aged better than De La Soul Is Dead.

Agreed

All their other terds are pretty much on par. So I see it as a toss up.

Stakes Is High, progenitor though it is of ass-hurt rap, is still >>> Beats, Rhymes and Life

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    the grind date album was surprisingly solid! although the last 2 albums on tommy boy were very forgettable.

as for tribe, re-listening to beats/rhymes/life, it was definately better now then when it was released. the love movement still sucks.

i say DE LA SOUL!!!

p.s.
    phifes lyrics werent that bad were they?
    'bust a nut inside your eye to show where i come from?' haha

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

p.s.
    'bust a nut inside your eye to show where i come from?' haha

you have settled on the one and only dope thing he ever said.

incidentally, given his other "material," I have long been convinced that he did not come up with that one on his own.

• p.s.
    'pay for this pay for that loot for nails and hair. who the hell you think i am? mr. belvedere?' haha

I have to agree w/ faux in that I rarely listen to any of these dudes' repertoire anymore. Saying that, I'd say De La even though Tribe probably made the best two records out of any of them. Buhloone Mind State has a lot of personal attachment and such a distinctive sound, it would be the one I could put in the car and rock for a week. Same with ...is Dead. The Tribe albums are more play them once with friends around and reminisce and reshelve. So I'd say De La but Tribe is "funner".

• awallawall 673 Posts
    de la's career arc > tribe's career arc

p.s.
    'pay for this pay for that loot for nails and hair. who the hell you think i am? mr. belvedere?' haha

I have to agree w/ faux in that I rarely listen to any of these dudes' repertoire anymore. Saying that, I'd say De La even though Tribe probably made the best two records out of any of them. Buhloone Mind State has a lot of personal attachment and such a distinctive sound, it would be the one I could put in the car and rock for a week. Same with ...is Dead. The Tribe albums are more play them once with friends around and reminisce and reshelve. So I'd say De La but Tribe is "funner".

No, no, you misunderstand me--it is only De La Soul that I prefer not to listen to.

I still like to listen to Tribe. At least, theoretically; I don't think I've actually done so in about a year.

de la's career arc > tribe's career arc

I think breaking up in 1998 was a great look.

Therefore, Tribe's career arc >>>> De La's career arc

• Mosaic Thump was dope

• i think it's safe to say dj maseo on his own can rock a crowd better than tribe. peace, stein. . .

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Well, first off, De La's the reason I became a hip-hop fan, Tribe's the reason I get in even deeper so it's hard for me to approach this with any claim to objectivity.

I'd pick De La over Tribe for a few reasons though I wouldn't start up a bar fight with someone who went the other way.

I do think it's kind of crazy to suggest that De La's production > Tribe's production. I have nothing but respect for Prince Paul but I think even he'd be the first to admit that in terms of an achievement in sound craft, LET and MM are arguably two of the best produced albums in rap history. This is not up for debate.

To answer Ben's question: personally, I liked I>Stakes Is High[/i] when it first came out though yes, there were some fans who thought the group took it too light but me - I really liked most of what was on there.

HOWEVER, I was listening to it again the other day, just to "see how it sounded" and the only thing I could really stand to sit through the whole way through was the intro. Oof.

I agree with Faux that "3 Ft. High" is anachronistic (though so is early EPMD to me as well) which doesn't mean I don't enjoy it and I actually will listen to it again just for the hell of it but I don't ever think, "man, if they dropped 'Potholes' in 2007, this shit would still hit!" However, its creativity is something that still packs surprises for me, something I can't say when I'm listening to, say, old Big Daddy Kane. (I'm not knocking Kane but you know what you get).

I still love BOTH groups' debut LPs. Sure, there's was corny shit on both but whatever - it was the late '80s. I still think both debuts deserved all the accolades they received. And yeah, I would listen to either album just to listen though no, they wouldn't be my first choice out of the catalog.

I agree with Faux that "3 Ft. High" is anachronistic (though so is early EPMD to me as well)

::eyeroll:: Did you really need to say that? They are both obviously anachronistic, the difference being that one is anachronistic in a way that I find grating--I find it a chore to listen to. Frankly, that first album sounded immensely dated to me within three years or so of its release, but then, I've never been the biggest fan of the group. And am mystified that there's even a debate.

By "timeless" I meant not that EPMD sounds like they could have come out yesterday--can that be said of any rap record of that era?--but that their records continue to sound good at the current time and at all intervening times.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    De La. Don't front on Purdue the De La Dove. Buhloone Mind State is one of the most underrated albums in hiphophistory.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I agree with Faux that "3 Ft. High" is anachronistic (though so is early EPMD to me as well)

::eyeroll:: Did you really need to say that? They are both obviously anachronistic, the difference being that one is anachronistic in a way that I find grating--I find it a chore to listen to. Frankly, that first album sounded immensely dated to me within three years or so of its release, but then, I've never been the biggest fan of the group. And am mystified that there's even a debate.

By "timeless" I meant not that EPMD sounds like they could have come out yesterday--can that be said of any rap record of that era?--but that their records continue to sound good at the current time and at all intervening times.

What's with the asshurt? Was that qualifier even necessary?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

[Re: faux_rillz]

What's with the asshurt?

dude Oliver how long you been on this board? was that serious question?