Microwave vs.Torq?

PonyPony 2,283 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Any you Strutters messed with Torq, looks pretty damn good. I've never owned Microwave or Final Scratch so I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, but the shit is like a faction of the price ($250 CND) so I'm looking into it.

Comments

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    I've heard that Torq is not all that hot as far as latency goes, I have the Rane TTM57SL and it is amazing, totally solid, no complaints at all. It is more expensive for Microwave, but worth it IMO...
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I have torq. A few things...

Latency is no different than Microwave or finalscratch. It uses the ms pinky timecode which has been around since FS. The vinyl is nice and if you don't like it you can get the Ms Pinky records, which are always being updated and come in a few choices. That's where the positives end. The software sucks. I use DJ Decks. It just feels much nicer and the controls and effects are much more usable. I only use this at home, and would not recommend it for gigging, but for how I use it I feel it was worth it. Though the main draw for me was the midi controller capabilities... I bet on the Microwave update not coming up for a while and lost.

rob.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    copied from a post i made on the other board

Microwave is a sound investment. for most people coming from a two turntable + mixer setup, it's very easy to transition to and shits pretty rock solid as far as stability goes. the thing i love most about it is that they are still coming out with free software updates that offer new features that most companies would charge for. i bought Microwave about two years ago and i would still buy it today if it still had the same features it did back then. with all the other shit they added and the new shit they're coming out with, it's a good choice.

as far as torq goes, i haven't used it personally but if i had to use any software setup, i would just use ableton since i'm more acustomed to it and it seems to have much more potential.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Could they have picked a more crap record to use in the demo?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    m-audio is garbage.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    m-audio do indeed suck

• wznwzn 16 Posts
    A good friend of mine has it since it came out two months ago or something. He using it 2-3 times a week in the club all night long and he says it's working perfect.
    It's half the price of Microwave and because of the timecode on the vinly you don't need to calibrate and that's something I always hated to do.
    To gui is perhaps something you love or hate, but it has some dope features, like the sampler, where you can load samples to scratch with and exchange one side of your deck with the samplers with just pressing one hotkey. It also supports vst effects, and when you load a crap effect and it stops working, torq can handle that and just disables it.
    I really don't like m-audio products, but I'd buy torq in a minute.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    if it included hidden frequencies that disable the part of the brain which makes crowds want to request terrible music i'd buy it in a minute.