EPMD / P.U.T.S. AT THE FILLMORE ??

HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
what did y'all bay strutters feel? sound quality was kinda butt i thought, but i had a good time. then gorged at lucky penny. what it dew baystrut?

Comments

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I'll be there Weds. in SD, I'll let you know.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I was tempted to post this story before. Here is my experience with the ass backwards Fillmore staff:

I had talked to Thes about doing an interview for my radio show before the show. Things were cool, he told me to come by before the show and he'd make it happen. I show up at about 7:30 (doors are at 8) wanting to make sure I left enough time to make things happen. Due to incompetence at the box office, I wait for an hour outside while they try to "find" the PUTS guestlist. Frustrating, and the woman who works there gives me all kinds of shit, but I'm not even bothered.

After a complicated process of checking my recording equiptment at the coat check twice, sending paper messages to backstage, I get back there and tape the interview. (note to self: never again schedule a venue interview w/o a contact phone number) Thes and Double K are real good guys as I expected, got some great stories from them (backpack is half empty!), along with a copy of Lifestyle Marketing (which is a real solid collection of beats and a very interesting concept.) We're all kinda concerned that there is barely anyone there and the show is supposed to start in ten minutes, but I'm confident things will work out. Thes hands me a beer after the interview, and I walk out to go check my stuff back at coat check.

It doesn't take the security more than 10 seconds to come up to me asking for ID. I'm not 21 yet, but it never even crossed my mind that it'd be an issue...maybe I've just been living in college too long, but I was truly shocked when dude comes up trying to ID me. I told him I got it backstage from Thes, and I didn't even cross my mind, argued for about 5 minutes, but they had none of it, kicked me out, and told the whole security staff not to let me in again.

What kind of country do we live in when people have regulations, laws, and ordinaces so far up their asses that they can't use common sense in their judgements? Crazy fucking world we live in.

I heard the crowd gave PUTS the cold shoulder, and that EPMD made a sudden departure. Sound being shitty at the Fillmore is pretty inexcusable, especially for something simple as a hip-hop show.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

what did y'all bay strutters feel? sound quality was kinda butt i thought, but i had a good time. then gorged at lucky penny. what it dew baystrut?

i missed the show. but lucky penny used to be my shit. used to be called the copper penny.

• I was tempted to post this story before. Here is my experience with the ass backwards Fillmore staff:

I had talked to Thes about doing an interview for my radio show before the show. Things were cool, he told me to come by before the show and he'd make it happen. I show up at about 7:30 (doors are at 8) wanting to make sure I left enough time to make things happen. Due to incompetence at the box office, I wait for an hour outside while they try to "find" the PUTS guestlist. Frustrating, and the woman who works there gives me all kinds of shit, but I'm not even bothered.

After a complicated process of checking my recording equiptment at the coat check twice, sending paper messages to backstage, I get back there and tape the interview. (note to self: never again schedule a venue interview w/o a contact phone number) Thes and Double K are real good guys as I expected, got some great stories from them (backpack is half empty!), along with a copy of Lifestyle Marketing (which is a real solid collection of beats and a very interesting concept.) We're all kinda concerned that there is barely anyone there and the show is supposed to start in ten minutes, but I'm confident things will work out. Thes hands me a beer after the interview, and I walk out to go check my stuff back at coat check.

It doesn't take the security more than 10 seconds to come up to me asking for ID. I'm not 21 yet, but it never even crossed my mind that it'd be an issue...maybe I've just been living in college too long, but I was truly shocked when dude comes up trying to ID me. I told him I got it backstage from Thes, and I didn't even cross my mind, argued for about 5 minutes, but they had none of it, kicked me out, and told the whole security staff not to let me in again.

What kind of country do we live in when people have regulations, laws, and ordinaces so far up their asses that they can't use common sense in their judgements? Crazy fucking world we live in.

I heard the crowd gave PUTS the cold shoulder, and that EPMD made a sudden departure. Sound being shitty at the Fillmore is pretty inexcusable, especially for something simple as a hip-hop show.

that sucks , you drove up from SC right? but really, you cant get mad at the staff for doing their job, next time get a marker or lick a stamp and put it on your hand. or just stay in the darker rooms. you're in college and you dont have a fakie?

the crowd was kinda tame, you could kinda tell who came for what. empd was ope but i think they woulda rocked harder if the crowd was a little more hype.
    damn zombie ass stoner wallflowers

PUTS- y'all on here right, howd we dew for you in the bay? I know my girl was real bummed cause she missed her fav. song (yo his bark aint loud but he sho aint nice) while she morphed into a chocolate machine gun in the ladies room.

• what did y'all bay strutters feel? sound quality was kinda butt i thought, but i had a good time. then gorged at lucky penny. what it dew baystrut?

i missed the show. but lucky penny used to be my shit. used to be called the copper penny.

indeed, copper penny. late night sf staple

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    how the fuck did I miss this? where have I been? damn it. I am kicking myself in the balls (in a metaphorical sense, of course) right now...

• well i just got home from the epmd/puts show at house of blues anaheim. sound was fantastic. p.u.t.s. rocked as usual. then. . .epmd proceded to blow my mind with special guest bobby brown!(yes BOBBY BROWN!) performing "music" with e double. awesome show. peace, stein. . .

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Oh shit! Orchard Park Bobby doing the Marvin Gaye trills?!

• thats all bay folk? are you for cereal?

this is EPMOFUCKINGD!! y'all got a2+post bout fuckin rice and epmd
    gets an ?

wtf?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    1st gripe: having to pay $43.97 for a $30 ticket. i was seriously looking at the ticketmaster screen watching the additional costs bring thrown on there thinking twice about getting it.

2nd gripe: spelunk's story, plus security was really aggressive about the whole thing. they grabbed 2 dudes with a flask right next us and gave them the boot. but people were sparking Ls all over the place and handing them to the performers with no hassle. strange what they were more concern with

3rd gripe I havent been to a hip hop show in deep and forgot how wasted people get. A few dudes wanted to fight me, everyone else around us, the performers, and security. not a good look and there were much heads doing this and being rude etc. very non-civilized.

I did really enjoy PUTS' performance. when they tried to hook the tables in w/ vinyl and the shit didnt work after the microwave dj put us all to sleep. and the shit wasnt working and thes proclames" its a damn shame when you cant records to play at a hip hop show."

I was dissapointed with the crowd's response to PUTS, i thought they killed it (wish they did time to rock our shit though) it seemed like their time to shine was cut short.

EPMD's 20minute RIP session was a little gratouitus and the end of the show was incredibly abrupt. the crowd was really feelin them which was great. folks were singing every lyric it was hype.

last gripe: sway and some other dude came on to introduce empd and other dude gets on the mic after sway and shouts out "comcast is in the building!" and hands it back to sway.

the show had its moments and i had to try real hard to feel like i didnt waste my $$ it was a nice night all in all though.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

• I was at the show too. First time I've had the chance to see P.U.T.S. and I really dug it. I didn't feel that the crowd was giving them the cold shoulder. Double K on the mic and the turntables at the same time was sweet.

I hate it when Hip Hop groups go on the hip hop diatribe thing. Can't I just enjoy the music without worrying about keeping it real? My favorite line: "If someone tries to be your friend and use you. Just punch them in the muthafucking face!...Peace sign everybody!" or something like that.

• 1st gripe: having to pay $43.97 for a $30 ticket. i was seriously looking at the ticketmaster screen watching the additional costs bring thrown on there thinking twice about getting it.

2nd gripe: spelunk's story, plus security was really aggressive about the whole thing. they grabbed 2 dudes with a flask right next us and gave them the boot. but people were sparking Ls all over the place and handing them to the performers with no hassle. strange what they were more concern with

3rd gripe I havent been to a hip hop show in deep and forgot how wasted people get. A few dudes wanted to fight me, everyone else around us, the performers, and security. not a good look and there were much heads doing this and being rude etc. very non-civilized.

1- for our group of for it came out to like 38-39 a pop, but when i see 30 online, i know it means 40. or 50 whatever, everyone wants their slice

2- spelunks story sucks, but c'mon. you cant get away with shit at the fillmore that you can do at a dive. if i was a security guard, i'd be more concerned with booze too, how often you see dope-smokers get outta pocket and start shit?

3- nobody wanted to fight me, but every time i got back from the bar, hella cats were tryin to holler at my lady. i cant blame them though, just tell em to back off. which they did, not that i am imposing or anything. respect gets respect.
    me and alota cats in the vicinity were passin splaffs back and forth between groups of strangers and it was all gravity.

non-civility at a concert, inconcievable!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I dont understand how dropping $40+ and going to a place where people are expecting to have a good time is justified to get drunk and be a dick and ruin your and everyone else around you. Ive never understood getting plastered and not even remembering the shit. I was going to shows steadily when the maritime was still open and remember seeing several cats passing out at every show and thinking nothing of it. but now i question why so people do this. is it just an every night occourance and this night is just like every other? or do they have no self control when it comes to booze?

I think of a concert as an experience that i want to remember and be concious for.
    that said i dont expect everyone to treat a concert as i do but i do not understand the getting wasted perspcective.

• I dont understand how dropping $40+ and going to a place where people are expecting to have a good time is justified to get drunk and be a dick and ruin your and everyone else around you. Ive never understood getting plastered and not even remembering the shit. I was going to shows steadily when the maritime was still open and remember seeing several cats passing out at every show and thinking nothing of it. but now i question why so people do this. is it just an every night occourance and this night is just like every other? or do they have no self control when it comes to booze?

I think of a concert as an experience that i want to remember and be concious for.
    that said i dont expect everyone to treat a concert as i do but i do not understand the getting wasted perspcective.

i couldnt tell you, i have fun at shows whether i imbibe or not. i dont think its
    "justified" to be a dick if youre drunk or not, but good luck throwing a pebble in sf without hitting some kinda uptight/dickhead/PC jackass. like people say, you cant change anyone else, just yourself and hope it influences someone else in a positive way.

RIP maritime hall, twas a 'goodn

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I dont understand how dropping $40+ and going to a place where people are expecting to have a good time is justified to get drunk and be a dick and ruin your and everyone else around you. Ive never understood getting plastered and not even remembering the shit. I was going to shows steadily when the maritime was still open and remember seeing several cats passing out at every show and thinking nothing of it. but now i question why so people do this. is it just an every night occourance and this night is just like every other? or do they have no self control when it comes to booze?

I care less about drunk crowd members than drunk fucking ARTISTS who put on shitty shows. I love these hip-hop concert threads with folls complaining. (I do the same shit). But deep down I know what I'm in for at most hip-hop shows: no-name hype man homies of the artist get more airtime than the headliners; lots of obnoxious yelling with towels draped over their heads; poor sound quality; occassional knuckleheads wanting beef. (No disrespect to Thes on this; I'm sure your show was tight; I'm just generalizing). I still love the occassional show though.

• joeblowjoeblow 118 Posts
    oh snap, SD tomorrow night! how did i miss this?

JBLOW

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

I care less about drunk crowd members than drunk fucking ARTISTS who put on shitty shows. I love these hip-hop concert threads with folls complaining. (I do the same shit). But deep down I know what I'm in for at most hip-hop shows: no-name hype man homies of the artist get more airtime than the headliners; lots of obnoxious yelling with towels draped over their heads; poor sound quality; occassional knuckleheads wanting beef. (No disrespect to Thes on this; I'm sure your show was tight; I'm just generalizing). I still love the occassional show though.

so on point with the towels

• Yeah yeah. Double and I always joke around in the green rooms and do the what we call the "slow walkin'" Which consists of putting a towel over your head sideways, grabbing a beer and walking around all slow going "yo yo yo yo yo" I learned that on tour with Rae. no shit.

Personally being on tour with EPMD has changed my life. I bought my first EPMD cassette maxi single when I was 10. Seeing them live has been some life changing shit. That and hanging out with Redman, Das EFX, Chill mitchell, and Bobby Brown, all of whom are mad humble and cool as shit. Granted I didn't pay for a ticket but if you weren't satisfied with the show what the fuck were you expecting? It's EPMD; Eric and Parrish back together on stage doing pretty much nothing but classic songs that shaped and defined hip hop back to back to back. Two dudes in all black on stage rapping. No slow walking, no hypemen, no posse. Just E and P on stage and the hits. I spend every night signing along at the top of my lungs to their whole set like a little kid. If I had any thoughts that modern commercial hip hop was actually DOPE and I was just the one who was not getting it (reading the totally awesome opinions of many e-critics on this site) they have been erased. That real schitt for life - Ruff Rugged and Raw. F*** these tattoey fake gangster down low kissing non-rapping cokehead rap bitches.

For the record, I don't think the crowd gave us cold, I just know they were anxious to see EPMD. We always give it our all regardless.

Catch us in SD tonight if you wanna see a real hip hop show.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Yeah yeah. Double and I always joke around in the green rooms and do the what we call the "slow walkin'" Which consists of putting a towel over your head sideways, grabbing a beer and walking around all slow going "yo yo yo yo yo" I learned that on tour with Rae. no shit.

Personally being on tour with EPMD has changed my life. I bought my first EPMD cassette maxi single when I was 10. Seeing them live has been some life changing shit. That and hanging out with Redman, Das EFX, Chill mitchell, and Bobby Brown, all of whom are mad humble and cool as shit. Granted I didn't pay for a ticket but if you weren't satisfied with the show what the fuck were you expecting? It's EPMD; Eric and Parrish back together on stage doing pretty much nothing but classic songs that shaped and defined hip hop back to back to back. Two dudes in all black on stage rapping. No slow walking, no hypemen, no posse. Just E and P on stage and the hits. I spend every night signing along at the top of my lungs to their whole set like a little kid. If I had any thoughts that modern commercial hip hop was actually DOPE and I was just the one who was not getting it (reading the totally awesome opinions of many e-critics on this site) they have been erased. That real schitt for life - Ruff Rugged and Raw. F*** these tattoey fake gangster down low kissing non-rapping cokehead rap bitches.

For the record, I don't think the crowd gave us cold, I just know they were anxious to see EPMD. We always give it our all regardless.

Catch us in SD tonight if you wanna see a real hip hop show.

POST OF THE YEAR

yeah i know it's March bitches.

Thes: Please come to Amsterdam.

now im gonna read THE POST OF THE YEAR again.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Thes, im curious who the dude was that came on stage for hang loose in SF? does he have any affiliation to the group?