Brown or White Rice?

2»

Comments

• only thing is, i cant use my regular rice cooker to cook brown rice, gotta rock the stovetop.

Nah, dude! I cook brown rice a couple of times a week in my rice cooker. And I have the cheap $15 model (note: I am clearly not Asian).

It does take about 40 minutes, though.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    zzzzup hoggi!

hey folks the question isnt brown rice or white rice.

its

RICE OR NOODLE[/b]

i like the noodle oishiso

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    White sticky puffy short grain white (no homo)

• I love that this thread has gone to three pages.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Depends on the dish.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    White...And preferably sticky.

Now that's just downright nasty.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I've mostly been messing with quinoa...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

I love quinoa! Can you share any good recipes? My quinoa dishes are pretty limited.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I just finished eating a HUGE bowl of gyudon.

White rice wins again!

Chan, You know what the fuck is up.

I love quinoa! Can you share any good recipes? My quinoa dishes are pretty limited.

I just use it in place of rice... for stirfries, curries, whatever. It's got a lot of protein and I like the flavor.

One of my favorite things lately has been frying up chicken breast and tiger shrimp with garlic, sweet onion, fresh pineapple, and hot peppers. Throw some barbecue sauce in there and serve the whole thing over quinoa.

Some friends recently did a big quinoa bowl with olive oil, onions, garlic, shredded carrot, capers, and flaked smoked salmon.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I just finished eating a HUGE bowl of gyudon.

White rice wins again!

Chan, You know what the fuck is up.

LOL! True dat hommie! I'm about to run down to the Korean spot in my building and get Bi Bim Bap for dinner foolio!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Some friends recently did a big quinoa bowl with olive oil, onions, garlic, shredded carrot, capers, and flaked smoked salmon.

thats pretty much what i was gonna suggest. doesnt need to be heavily seasoned...you can hook it up as a nice side with a couple simple herbs.
    use it to replace rice is sound advice.

has the distinction of being a complete protein (like meat) as opposed to most grains that you have to couple with beans to get the full amino acid spectrum of bodily goodness.

quinoa is also dope cause it cooks in ten minutes.

wattup jo!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yo barley is not to be slept on either...a nice hearty grain. gladiators back in the day used to be called "barley men" cause thats what they were fed. might be where the term "burly" came from?

amaranth too, is interesting. nice, quick cook grain. but the leaves of the amaranth plant are highly edible as well...like a spinachy thing.

has the distinction of being a complete protein (like meat) as opposed to most grains that you have to couple with beans to get the full amino acid spectrum of bodily goodness.

quinoa is also dope cause it cooks in ten minutes.

What's up, Tony! You gotta roll out here soon and get back to the land...

*Disclaimer: I personally live in a house with a flush toilet and running water.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    only thing is, i cant use my regular rice cooker to cook brown rice, gotta rock the stovetop.

Nah, dude! I cook brown rice a couple of times a week in my rice cooker. And I have the cheap $15 model (note: I am clearly not Asian).

It does take about 40 minutes, though.

this is news to me. granted its not something i bring up often amongst my circle of friends. i suppose i will give this a go. now do i go w/ the instructions on the bag or double up on the water?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    2 cups of brown rice, 4 cups of water.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Japanese short grain.