Brown or White Rice?

tallbobsmoketallbobsmoke 715 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
The title says it all. I'm having coconut milk brown rice tonight.

Comments

• brown all the way; it might be one of my favorite (like top 10) foods. so nutty and satisfying...oh, and the texture. just wonderful.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    so nutty

just messing. i get down with the brown too

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    NO ONIONS IN MY WHITE RICE

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    White rice all day every day.

• White rice all day every day.

• brown all the way

Get on my (low glycemic carb) level.

I eat brown rice almost every day. I'll admit that it took some getting used to, and I'd still never eat it in certain dishes (read: anything Cajun), but with stir fry or a Thai curry? Unfadeable.

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

Grew up on white rice as a kid, so I haven't eaten much brown rice as an adult. Given a choice, I'd take steamed white rice.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    White. Calrose. 2 cups of rice, 2 1/2 cups of water.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Basmanti

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Depends onn the dish.

Arroz con Pollo - wht
    Moors N Christians - wht
    Hoppin John - Brown rice
    jasmine rice is in the mix as well
    wild rice - dont sleep

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    brown wins, but there is a taco joint by me that uses white rice.....

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    white rice, as well as white bread =

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i grew up on brown rice and my parents never have white rice in the house. we also never had white bread too. fuck all you crackers.

brown rice is aiight but shit gets maaaaaaaaaad nasty the day after

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Basmati for days. (and not the brown basmati ... 45 minutes cooking time vs. 10-15 for the white? no sir.)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    White rice all day every day.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

wild rice - dont sleep

Wild rice is a scam. Only people who think it's good because it's expensive eat it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    white rice, as well as white bread

but yes

I just finished eating a HUGE bowl of gyudon.

White rice wins again!

• I just finished eating a HUGE bowl of gyudon.

White rice wins again!

Chan what is that? I'm not sure if it looks or not. I'll wait to hear what it is.

Mad simple and delicious. Comfort food foolios. I make it all the time:

INGREDIENTS:
    4 cups steamed Japanese rice
    1 pound thinly sliced beef
    1 onion
    1 1/3 cup dashi soup
    5 tbsps soy sauce
    3 tbsps mirin
    2 tbsps sugar
    1 tsp sake
    *benishoga (red ginger) for topping
    PREPARATION:
    Cook Japanese rice. Slice onion thinly. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces. Put dashi, soysauce, sugar, mirin, and sake in a pan. Add onion slices in the pot and simmer for a few minutes. Add beef in the pan and simmer for a few minutes. Serve hot steamed rice in a deep rice bowl. Put the beef topping on the top of rice. Place some benishoga (red ginger) on the top if you would like.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    brown rice and whole wheat bread for me.

either love whole grains or beware...

id rather get shot down by a hail of rusty bullets

• Mad simple and delicious. Comfort food foolios. I make it all the time:

INGREDIENTS:
    4 cups steamed Japanese rice
    1 pound thinly sliced beef
    1 onion
    1 1/3 cup dashi soup
    5 tbsps soy sauce
    3 tbsps mirin
    2 tbsps sugar
    1 tsp sake
    *benishoga (red ginger) for topping
    PREPARATION:
    Cook Japanese rice. Slice onion thinly. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces. Put dashi, soysauce, sugar, mirin, and sake in a pan. Add onion slices in the pot and simmer for a few minutes. Add beef in the pan and simmer for a few minutes. Serve hot steamed rice in a deep rice bowl. Put the beef topping on the top of rice. Place some benishoga (red ginger) on the top if you would like.

DANN CHAN that's my kind of meal. I'll be making that wednesday night. I'll report back on how badly i screw up. Hook me up with some recipes homey.. only thing i know how to make is a

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm half Chinese. If I cooked brown rice for my family for dinner they'd just look at me and ask what it is and what it's doing on the dinner table! White Rice all day everyday!?!?!!! (Well, except when having noodles)

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    This is a silly question. Dividing rice into categories based on colour is useless. There are something like 40000 different kinds of rice of various colours, each with its own characteristics. Supermarket instant white rice couldn't be more different than sticky Japanese mochigome rice or starchy Italian carnaroli. Non-white rices have just has much variety and are not all brown--i.e. black rice, bhutanese red rice, etc. Wild rice is not rice at all, but grass. Sometimes you want white rice, sometimes you don't. Variety is the key.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    White...And preferably sticky.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Danno is correct here, wild rice is really a grass. While I understand that some folks might not get down with the flavor, there are a couple things to keep in mind when purchasing/preparing it that may help (bitterness/texture related):

Buy quality wild rice ??? traditionally picked & cured wild rice has a much better (nuttier) flavor than the overly-expensive and toasted-to-shit black stuff you see at the grocers. Your wild rice should be brown, not black. I usually by in bulk at the markets sometime in May, and I think you can get the traditionally picked & cured rice for around 3 dollars a pound. Considering how much the stuff grows while you cook it, it is not an unreasonable price.

Don???t simmer the ???rice??? into mush ??? when the husks are just starting to split, the ???rice??? is done. Drain & rinse.

Slivered almonds are wild rice???s best friend.

This has to be my favorite dish to serve with freshwater fish. Wild rice with walleye or rainbow trout is very necessary.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    This is a silly question. Dividing rice into categories based on colour is useless. There are something like 40000 different kinds of rice of various colours, each with its own characteristics. Supermarket instant white rice couldn't be more different than sticky Japanese mochigome rice or starchy Italian carnaroli. Non-white rices have just has much variety and are not all brown--i.e. black rice, bhutanese red rice, etc. Wild rice is not rice at all, but grass. Sometimes you want white rice, sometimes you don't. Variety is the key.

tell em why you mad b/w I'm a chink so I usually have white rice. I'm down w/ the fuzzy logic.

ps: I'll regale you w/ my food epics in the motherland when you're back.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    brown all the way

Get on my (low glycemic carb) level.

coming form an asian family, white rice is but for those worried about fiber intake and low glycemic indexes, brown rice is the way to go.

only thing is, i cant use my regular rice cooker to cook brown rice, gotta rock the stovetop.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    u can use your rice cooker to make the brown. u just have to put in twice the water so it cooks longer.