Hippy Skippy Moon Strut (DFR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
So, I played the new Format remix of this and it had the dancefloor in a frenzie, and me too. I had never heard the track before coping the recent 12" release with the remix and original versions on it.So the question here is what else sounds like this? I'm not that deep on latin funk but I think I need more stuff like this to play. Girls seem to really dig latin stuff on the dancefloor, so I wanna bring it.BTW you guys did well on the salosul heatery advice - I've copped a lot of what was suggested and it worked really really well on the weekend just passed, so thanks Soul Strut!

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    did you drop the Christina song after that?

Premo sampled the original right?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Nah I didn't play the Christina song, and yeah Primo did sample it. I prefer the DJ Format re-edit of 'happy soul w/ a hook' actually. It keeps the latin flavour and the breakbeat goodness.

• did you drop the Christina song after that?

I was wondering if he sampled "Happy Soul" by Dave Cortez and The Moon People, which is the same song with no singers and an organ lead, and the breaks are more open.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    oops!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    did you drop the Christina song after that?

I was wondering if he sampled "Happy Soul" by Dave Cortez and The Moon People, which is the same song with no singers and an organ lead, and the breaks are more open.

I think he sampled the LP version which is called "Happy Soul".

• It is interesting you all are talking about this because I got a call from Primo(i kid you not) about this very sample last week. He explained to me that this guy Dave was tryin' to come at him for not properly clearing the sample . However, as we all know J Records/Arista is not going to play themselves like that..so he asked me if I had the record and I do have the LP. The song he used was Happy Soul not Hippy Skippy, Moon Street. So I gave him all the record info on the LP that I have which is version he used. By the way, the Lp version mentions Morty Craft/B. Marin as the writers of the song not Dave Cortez. In addition, the record says The Land of Love: The Moon People Los Astronautas Produced by Morty Craft. Anyway, this guy was really being difficult about this. Saying Primo actually sampled Hippy, Skippy, Moon Street not Happy Soul...which is BS!

Amir

• Just to throw in another wrinkle, the 45 of Happy Soul w/ A Hook (on Speed) credits Jackobeck-Clowney as the song writers. The artist is listed as Dave Cortez & The Moon People.

Wow... that is all very interesting. Seriously.

Now who can recomend stuff that sounds similar?

• Wow... that is all very interesting. Seriously.

Now who can post stuff that sounds similar?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It is interesting you all are talking about this because I got a call from Primo(i kid you not) about this very sample last week. He explained to me that this guy Dave was tryin' to come at him for not properly clearing the sample . However, as we all know J Records/Arista is not going to play themselves like that..so he asked me if I had the record and I do have the LP. The song he used was Happy Soul not Hippy Skippy, Moon Street. So I gave him all the record info on the LP that I have which is version he used. By the way, the Lp version mentions Morty Craft/B. Marin as the writers of the song not Dave Cortez. In addition, the record says The Land of Love: The Moon People Los Astronautas Produced by Morty Craft. Anyway, this guy was really being difficult about this. Saying Primo actually sampled Hippy, Skippy, Moon Street not Happy Soul...which is BS!

Amir

This is pretty fascinating...it's clearly the same instrumental track being re-used by Dave Cortez and the Moon People but, as others have noted, it'd probably be pretty easy to prove that it's the Moon People track being sampled vs. Cortez, at least as far as the mechanicals are concerned.

Is Cortez trying to get at Preem based on the mechanicals? Or is he trying to come at him on the songwriting issue too?

• start with some basics, like Barretto:

Right_On.mp3

Together.mp3

• start with some basics, like Barretto:

Right_On.mp3

Together.mp3

thank you kindly sir, i been tryin to cake up on my digi-library for long bike rides.

• sneak in the montuno:

Joe_Cuba's_Madness_Pts._1&2.mp3

and then it's all out descarga time:

Descarga_Cachao.mp3

• ^^^^^^^nice

got this in the mail today. not funk. all good.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ^^^^^^^nice

got this in the mail today. not funk. all good.

I need that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It is interesting you all are talking about this because I got a call from Primo(i kid you not) about this very sample last week. He explained to me that this guy Dave was tryin' to come at him for not properly clearing the sample . However, as we all know J Records/Arista is not going to play themselves like that..so he asked me if I had the record and I do have the LP. The song he used was Happy Soul not Hippy Skippy, Moon Street. So I gave him all the record info on the LP that I have which is version he used. By the way, the Lp version mentions Morty Craft/B. Marin as the writers of the song not Dave Cortez. In addition, the record says The Land of Love: The Moon People Los Astronautas Produced by Morty Craft. Anyway, this guy was really being difficult about this. Saying Primo actually sampled Hippy, Skippy, Moon Street not Happy Soul...which is BS!

Amir

I thought it was "Happy Soul" as well, and I might even have said so in a thread on here. A few dudes stepped up and said it was "Hippy Skippy Moon Strut", and I didn't have the stomach for an argument, but I've played out "Happy Soul" and the Xtina tune back-to-back a couple of times, and I was convinced Primo sampled the Cortez joint.

• Wow... that is all very interesting. Seriously.

Now who can recomend stuff that sounds similar?

The Moon People's other stuff is very similar. "Land of Love" (the song) is a great one.

• it is a situation where dude is trying to stop Christina and Primo from collecting mechanicals and such. There are four versions of this very same song and Dave Cortez(Jack Clowney aka Dave Cortez) says he wrote "Hippy Skippy Strut" not "Happy Soul." However, Primo sampled "Happy Soul" not "Hippy Skippy Strut." This mad confusing, but that what's it like right now.

Amir

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• it is a situation where dude is trying to stop Christina and Primo from collecting mechanicals and such. There are four versions of this very same song and Dave Cortez(Jack Clowney aka Dave Cortez) says he wrote "Hippy Skippy Strut" not "Happy Soul." However, Primo sampled "Happy Soul" not "Hippy Skippy Strut." This mad confusing, but that what's it like right now.

Amir

it seems Speed might have done this a few times; I picked up a different Moon People 45 on Speed a few weeks back that was an instro track to one of the songs off the Dianne & Carole LP (which was also on Speed).

Damn,
    thanks guys. Those two Ray Barretto cuts are fi-ya, and the stuff Rey posted is also on the 'I need it for the club' list now too.

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts
    Ladies love latin - its a fact!!
    THere are LOTS of really good tracks....
    But Ray Barretto is as good a place to start...

• Just found out about yet another version of Hippy Skippy...

(I'll Be A)Happy Man by The Latin Blues Band featuring Luis Aviles

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Just found out about yet another version of Hippy Skippy...

i think this is the one that primo actually sampled for Aint No. phill most knows the deal on that. or is this a third?

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    sneak in the montuno:

Joe_Cuba's_Madness_Pts._1&2.mp3

and then it's all out descarga time:

Descarga_Cachao.mp3

• Just found out about yet another version of Hippy Skippy...

i think this is the one that primo actually sampled for Aint No. phill most knows the deal on that. or is this a third?

Primo sampled "Happy Soul" by Dave Cortez and the Moon People.

Yes, this is a third version, and it's a vocal with more latin parts.