SS CAR TALK (total loss related)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Okay so I got into a car accident and the front end got smooshed in, no biggie right? Wrong. Car is declared as a total loss since its 80% within their damage threshold yadda yadda. Now I need to print out some comps to show the car value and start looking into buying a new/used car. Damn. Anyone have any advice regarding this ish?manny thanks in advance,M

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    were you at fault? what kind of car? if that's a total loss it must've been an older model something not very "Fany"... but seriously though, what was the blue book value, and did you have any other damage at the time of the accident? And then, what did they give you from the insurance?

This happened to a friend and he came up! Car was worth $1000, they blue booked it at $2500.

• :(

Okay so I got into a car accident and the front end got smooshed in, no biggie right? Wrong. Car is declared as a total loss since its 80% within their damage threshold yadda yadda.

Now I need to print out some comps to show the car value and start looking into buying a new/used car. Damn.

Anyone have any advice regarding this ish?

manny thanks in advance,

M

going through that shit sucks. sorry to hear that.
    If you can try and get some of the higher end prices on the car you just totalled. try and get as much from them as possible.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    were you at fault? what kind of car? if that's a total loss it must've been an older model something not very "Fany"... but seriously though, what was the blue book value, and did you have any other damage at the time of the accident? And then, what did they give you from the insurance? This happened to a friend and he came up! Car was worth $1000, they blue booked it at $2500.

Yup, I was at fault (not paying attention, arrgh)

It was a 2001 Camry LE Sedan. Not very fany 4 door ride but pretty good for hauling recs. No other damage at time of accident.

Blue book is $12,000 or so but I'm finding dealer quotes at $15,000 for the same mileage.

They had it towed to be fixed but found more damage afterwards, so the intial values the inspector quoted me are $12,265-$9,375. I have yet to hear from the total loss adjuster on any final numbers or paperwork.

thx, yo

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    word of advice... buy an odl mercedes Diesel... not that fast, but built like tanks, plus the its engine supposed to last up to 500,000 miles... I am at 311,000 right now and going strong.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    word homies

update: they are going to pay me the high blue book value (yay!) but now I need a new ride

I'm prolly going to opt for a cheap civic but jeah, glad the anticipation is over

phew!

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts
    I know how that shit goes.

Just got in an accident driving with my brother 2 months ago - long story short, we got pinned under a semi and ended up on the right side guard rail (we started in the far left lane of an 8 lane interchange). Subaru was a total loss, not surprisingly. My bro is shook, its his second major accident and he feels like he can't drive on the freeway anymore.