What would be the good record...

BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
... to offer to a bass player?I want it to be a pertinent choice for a bassist.Dude is a funksoulkindadiscop-funkboogie player!!! He's helping me to install a WINDOWS on my new Mac... Any ideas?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anything that doesnt have slap bass...we need to elimate all slapping bassists from the gene-pool.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Jaco Pastorius

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    anything that doesnt have slap bass...we need to elimate all slapping bassists from the gene-pool.

This is a knee jerk fascist reaction. Don't worry, I already converted Gabe Roth, he's all about privategospelslapbass these days.

The new Sharon Jones LP is now musically only about 3.5 years away from being Slap Central Station

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I did my part by refusing to teach my bass students slap bass & denouncing the style every chance I got.

Jaco Pastorius
    Overrated IMO.

Can I hijack this thread and ask for records that feature only the heaviest bass that goes wwwwooOOOOooowwww and vvvvvoooooooooommmm, and maybe just vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv for a few minutes. And don't name off some DnB classic and go I don't want beats, I want my neighbors' pictures to fall off the walls. Long story but I will not rest until they are all suffering from PTSS.

Sounds like you need to put one of those low frequency car stereo test CDs on repeat & leave the house for a couple hours.

Sounds like you need to put one of those low frequency car stereo test CDs on repeat & leave the house for a couple hours.

But I like the warmth of vinyl. Will check it out though.

Is this the sort of CD that would make East Coast low riders fall apart?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    carol kaye -- picking up on the e string

But I like the warmth of vinyl. Will check it out though.

Is this the sort of CD that would make East Coast low riders fall apart?
    Yeah, probably shake the fillings out of your teeth too. They have them here for contests when all the car geeks get together & have a "sound off" to see whose ride has the baddest system. (yes it is indeed as lame as it sounds, I unwittingly got dragged along to one a few years back, it sucked).

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I was thinkin about something in the likes of :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1IuD6F3R5I

Though he doesn't stand out as a "great" bass player, I've always found the aforementioned Gabe Roth to be an excellent player (especially in terms of taste, but also skill). I can't think of another contemporary player that I like better. So, yeah, either of the Sharon Jones records might be good (though not "obvious") choices.

Apart from that, I'd say a Fela record might be an interesting pick as the basslines are always incredible.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Any of the Seinfeld interludes.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Ok I'll check for Gabe Roth.

Any of the Seinfeld interludes.

:O RLY:

Jonathan Wolff, right?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Cymande.

First Meters albums.

IMG SRC=http://www.blakeymusic.com/Images/backdoorcdcover.jpg>
    As a young wannabe-bass player I was buggin out over the above LP when I first discovered it in '93.
    Real virtuoso type stuff from the bass player but I haven't heard it in years so I don't know if it still stands up.
    That's all that comes to mind right now.

Cymande.

Cymande would be an excellent choice.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Marcus Miller

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I would send him to JA, cause they seem to have an unending supply of tasty riddims. This guy in the middle had it on lock at Studio One.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Co-sign on some Leroy Sibbles exposure. Playing some James Jamerson Motown stuff is necessary too. And about a zillion JB-related tunes.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Paul Jackson - Black Octopus LP

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Does anyone have this burned. I would love to hear it. His sister lives here in PDX and fronted local soul favs, Black Angel.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Yea, rather than reward the over-playing and step on the toes of the other dudes in the band approach, I'd suggest something that is subtle, and has the audacity to lay in the cut and not fill every hole with 40 notes.

Gang of Four's Solid Gold is pretty great in that respect. So does Fuzzy Haskins Whole Nother Thang. Ray Barretto's Acid is a fine example of complex, integrated, not-too-overdone playing.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Marcus Miller

Hell no!!

-

Thanks Bambouche!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Does anyone have this burned. I would love to hear it. His sister lives here in PDX and fronted local soul favs, Black Angel.

It's really good. Sounds like a lost Headhunters session.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Plaese to post.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Mad Skills :

Have you seen that Japanese-only Paul Jackson record [Black Octopus]?

Madlib :

I bought that shit for $300, and it wasn't even that hot! I thought that was going to be some crazy Headhunters shit. There's a couple breaks on it, I ain't gonna lie, but that shit wasn't worth no $300. (laughs)

Snippets here :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...4877774-7020924

Kr*s can you do the real headz dance and implore the god of mp3s to upload this LP out at

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Mad Skills :

Have you seen that Japanese-only Paul Jackson record [Black Octopus]?

Madlib :

I bought that shit for $300, and it wasn't even that hot! I thought that was going to be some crazy Headhunters shit. There's a couple breaks on it, I ain't gonna lie, but that shit wasn't worth no $300. (laughs)

Snippets here :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...4877774-7020924

Kr*s can you do the real headz dance and implore the god of mp3s to upload this LP out at

I know we've had discussions about this album before on here and many people weren't feeling it that much but I personally love this album. Tiptoe Through The Ghetto is undoubtedly the standout (and most headhunterish) track though.