hittin cheapies

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2018 in Record Collecting
did this a while back and some good knowledges were droppedlist some actual cheapies(records actualy worth only a buck or three...not come ups or cheapies in the UK sense(less than a hundred pounds)) that are as good as the baller pieces....this time around, soul 45s

• Chuck Jackson-Candy(wand)
  • Peggy Scott and Jo Jo Benson-I want to love you baby(SSS Intl)
  • George Perkins and the Silver Stars-Cryin in the Streets(Silver Fox)
  • Johnnie Taylor-Its Amazing(Stax)
TAGGED:

Comments

• archie bell & drells -tighten up
    cliff nobles- the horse ( does anyone have a vocal ver. of this? not "love is allright" but with horse lyrics?)
    rosie and the originals- angel baby

king/polydor 45s of the godfather

hmmmmm....

• barbara mason- are you ready

lowell fulsom- tramp

santos & jonny -sleepwalk

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    cliff nobles- the horse ( does anyone have a vocal ver. of this? not "love is allright" but with horse lyrics?)

The Horse is the instrumental flip of the OG vocal version of the track

There may be a later version w/'Horse' vocals though (Phil-L.A. did a few variations after The Horse hit)

• I thought this was going to be a thread about assaulting cheapskate customers (can't blame me, I just came back from selling at a record show).

Wilson Pickett- Engine No. 9

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Johnnie Taylor-Its Amazing(Stax)

Major

Howard Tate - Stop (Verve)

Absolutley killer horn lines, lo-fi recording in a good way.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I also just got Chuck Jackson's "These Chains Of Love" on Wand yesterday, it is good. He does however have a few fairly underwhelming 45s on Wand.
    His 45 of "Hold On I'm Coming" is pretty cool also.
    How about 100 Proof Aged In Soul "Somebody's Been Sleeping"/"I've Come To Save You" & "Not Enought Love To Satisfy"/"90 Day Freeze" on Hot Wax. Those are two good cheap 45s.

• personperson 3 Posts
    barbara acklin - love makes a woman (brunswick)

bettye swan - make me yours (money)

doris duke - i dont care anymore (canyon)

etta james - tell mama / id rather go blind (cadet)

tenison stephens - where would you be (chess)

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    all the Curtis written/produced tunes on Okeh.

The 8th Day - I Can't Fool Myself/She's Not Just Another Woman & You've Got To Crawl/It's Instrumental To Be Free- Invictus
    Barbara Acklin - Just Ain't No Love - Coral
    Fontella Bass - Rescue Me/Soul Of The Man - Chess
    Archie Bell - Do The Choo Choo & Showdown on Atlantic & Dancing To Your Music on Glades
    Madeline Bell - Picture Me Gone - Philips
    Bobby Bland - Ain't No Love In The heart Of The City & Up & Down World on ABC
    Box Tops - Soul Deep - Mala
    Jan Bradley - You Gave Me What's Missing/Nights In NYC - Chess
    Solomon Burke - Got To get You Off My Mind - Atlantic
    Uptempo Jerry Butler stuff on both Vee jay & Mercury, but you really need to listen to them because some of it is slooooooowwww.

bettye swann - make me yours (money)
    etta james - tell mama / id rather go blind (cadet)
    I need these 45s in my life, they never turn up in NZ & I don't wanna ebay them. My girlfriend has the Bettye Swann, but it's on it's last legs.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Random bunch of "enjoyables" that I've found on the cheap:

Howard Tate - That's What Happens (Lloyd Price's Turntable)
    Billy Sha-Rae - Do It (Hourglass)
    Mickey and his Mice - Cracker Jack (Marti)
    El Coco - Get it Together (AVI)
    The Boys in the Band - Sumpin Heavy (Spring)
    Brother to Brother - In the Bottle (Turbo)
    Ohio Players - Streakin' Cheek to Cheek (Mercury)
    Rhythm Heritage - Theme from S.W.A.T. (ABC)
    Magic Disco Machine - Scratchin' (Motown)
    Soul Searchers - We the People (Sussex)
    Otis & Carla - Tramp (Stax)
    Manu Dibango - Weya (Atlantic)
    Willie and the Mighty Magnificents - Funky (8) Corners (All Platinum)
    Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Hey There Sexy Lady (Stang)

Billy Sha-Rae - Do It (Hourglass) - is this or the Spectrum press the original?

Brother to Brother - In the Bottle (Turbo) - my girlfriend copped this the other week, it's nice.

Good question ... and I'm certainly no authority on either label. That's one for the Funk Lexicon I suppose. The record is HG-007 b/w "I Found the One" if that is any help.

And, yeah, I like "In the Bottle" quite a bit. Killer bassline.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Good question ... and I'm certainly no authority on either label. That's one for the Funk Lexicon I suppose. The record is HG-007 b/w "I Found the One" if that is any help.

I've come across beat copies of this and "Do It Again" on Spectrum many times but never seen a Hourglass press, which would lead me to believe the former is the 2nd issue

I've come across beat copies of this and "Do It Again" on Spectrum many times but never seen a Hourglass press, which would lead me to believe the former is the 2nd issue

Here's a pic of my rather humble copy (this was actually a very cheap Ebay grab ... maybe $1 due to the condition):

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wish you hadn't done that. That label is too sick -
    now I need the OG. Thanks alot.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I also just got Chuck Jackson's "These Chains Of Love" on Wand yesterday, it is good. He does however have a few fairly underwhelming 45s on Wand.

It was the Wand singles that made him famous in the first place - I kinda like that uptown, East Coast sound of hits like "Any Day Now" and "I Wake Up Crying." String sections a-plenty, but in the right place.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Isn't this a Detroit record?

• always liked this one

sunny & the sunliners - every week, every month, every year - tear drop

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

yes - lorranine chandler & jack ashford were a detroit based production team - sound patterns is a detroit studio.

why are you guys talking about all these crusty flea market 45s that no-one knows???

just play some madonna, bon jovi and def leppard & then line up in the puccini

• cliff nobles- the horse ( does anyone have a vocal ver. of this? not "love is allright" but with horse lyrics?)

The Horse is the instrumental flip of the OG vocal version of the track

There may be a later version w/'Horse' vocals though (Phil-L.A. did a few variations after The Horse hit)

yeah, i know "love is allright" is a vocal horse, but somewhere i heard the same backing track with cliff nobles singing that "thehorse, is allright" cool track. is it on the lp anyone?

while we are the subject, most of phil la of soul's easy to find output is hittin.

yes - lorranine chandler & jack ashford were a detroit based production team - sound patterns is a detroit studio.

why are you guys talking about all these crusty flea market 45s that no-one knows???

But I cannot rest until I have found the raer Detroit label issue of this record! Then it's mashup city w/ Sean Paul and some Franz Ferdinand.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

But I cannot rest until I have found the raer Detroit label issue of this record! Then it's mashup city w/ Sean Paul and some Franz Ferdinand.

there is also a 45 pressing of 'Do It' on Strakers out of Brooklyn too - it lists the artist as 'Big S' - must be a bootleg

mix it with a Tears for Fears accapella, then that Steely Dan 'Do It Again' / 'Billie Jean' 12" mashup on Quality - then hit em with some "80's gems that no-one is touching" like INXS, Journey & Night Ranger...

'MOTORING...'

---

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Yeah, I've got a few Soul Searchers 45s that are nice - "Blow Your Whistle" and "If It Ain't Funky" come to mind. I picked them all up for around $3.

Yeah, I've got a few Soul Searchers 45s that are nice - "Blow Your Whistle" and "If It Ain't Funky" come to mind. I picked them all up for around $3.

Blow Your Whistle is classic ... as is "Funk to the Folks" on the flip.

Willie and the Mighty Magnificents - Funky (8) Corners (All Platinum)
    Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Hey There Sexy Lady (Stang)

Love these ones. Think I prefer the Inst. of the Ballard.

there is also a 45 pressing of 'Do It' on Strakers out of Brooklyn too - it lists the artist as 'Big S' - must be a bootleg

mix it with a Tears for Fears accapella, then that Steely Dan 'Do It Again' / 'Billie Jean' 12" mashup on Quality - then hit em with some "80's gems that no-one is touching" like INXS, Journey & Night Ranger...

'MOTORING...'

---

Genius. But how about a Tribute to Detroit mashup? What would you use? I'm thinking Bachman Turner Overdrive -- > 10 Wheel Drive --> Pink Cadillac --> Get Out of My Dreams Get into My Car, all over Detroit Emeralds braekz.

PS: I think I have that Strakers somewhere, I'll look for it and post a 16kbps realaudio clip and oversize jpeg.

Bettye Swan - I Won't Cry is a hittin cheapie

• William Devaughn "be thankful for what you got"
    James Brown "get up, into it, involved"
    Ohio Player "funky worm"
    Paul Simon "50 ways to leave your lover"
    Turtles "buzz saw"
    Pigmeat Markham "here comes the judge"
    Esther Phillips "home is where the hatred is"
    Paul Humphrey "detroit"

Are all records you should be able to find for under $1, just about anywhere in the continental U.S!!!