13»

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I been working out, holmes...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    [/endofthread]

Haha! Whattup Tony!

wassapenin man?? you look diesel as shit in your avatar

spliff,found a child is a great song,but hardly an obvious rock hit, despite young mcs widespread appeal. how about joan jett? played out or party starter?

[kissup]OK, how about doubles of I Know I'm Losing You?[/kissup]

Bartenders don't like it when Joan Jett gets played coz by that time it means people are already to drunk to buy any more drinks

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Some times I thrown in Beck's Where It's At

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    all depends how and when you rock the shit

nuff said.

too much blah blah in this thread

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Like, when the Yacht Rock series was all the rage,[/b] I'd spin mini-sets with Doobie Brothers, Journey + Van Halen and it was a hilarious backdrop to the drunken party rage (in between my soul, funk, 60s garage, post-punk, etc). But I couldn't get away with that in my town now necessarily ... the joke is over.[/b]

The yacht-rock thing is over ALREADY???

Well ... we rode it a little hard last year when the shows were still coming out. Yacht-Rock parties ... I was giving out the series on DVD ... but, yeah, its still funny as shit and Michael McDonald's "I Keep Forgettin" is and always will be a jam. Journey still makes a lot of appearances in my sets as well: "Any way you want it thats the way you need it" ... done and done.

And a little lady rock for the ladies: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, I Know What Boys Like, etc. They'll be dancing on the stage.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Rare Earth - I just Want to Celebrate
    Foregner - Long Long Way From Home
    Styx - Renegade
    Dr. John - Right Place, Wrong Time
    Journey - Anyway You Want It
    Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself and Eyes Without A Face

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    please, please no more Bon Jovi in the club.

• please, please no more Bon Jovi in the club.

i try not to do it more than once or twice a year, but cutting out the fader and having the crowd yell the lyrics is one of the most satisfying things I do when I DJ, and the "ohhh" or "whooee" or whatever comes before "we're halfway there" is one of the great "cut the fader" moments.

It's up there with the "ohh-ahhh-ohhh" in "don't you want me", the "uh"/"ahhs" in "let me clear my throat" or that one time i played the clean version of "lean with it rock with it" and the entire high school prom crowd filled in all the dirty words.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I think it all depends on the DJ. A GOOD club/party DJ can drop any pop/rock track in their set and make it sound good, but thats because the whole set is put together well. I was in vegas for a bachelor party this weekend and the DJ at the club we were at was pathetic. I know his crowd there was always your typical becky crowd, but his set was just trainwrecking. The funniest part was he was acting as if he was killing it even though if you looked at the crowd they were barely moving. Plus he kept dropping all of thosse premade mashups as if they were tracks and would play them all the way through... The DJ at the strip club made the DJ at the club look bad.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I think it all depends on the DJ. A GOOD club/party DJ can drop any pop/rock track in their set and make it sound good, but thats because the whole set is put together well. I was in vegas for a bachelor party this weekend and the DJ at the club we were at was pathetic. I know his crowd there was always your typical becky crowd, but his set was just trainwrecking. The funniest part was he was acting as if he was killing it even though if you looked at the crowd they were barely moving. Plus he kept dropping all of thosse premade mashups as if they were tracks and would play them all the way through... The DJ at the strip club made the DJ at the club look bad.

where were you.. i felt the same way when i went.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

where were you.. i felt the same way when i went.

PURE... shit was

• what i want to know is how this thread went from a 'what rock songs do you play out to get the beckies going' to 'what rock songs will most give my funk 45 set artistic credibility'?

what i want to know is how this thread went from a 'what rock songs do you play out to get the beckies going' to 'what rock songs will most give my funk 45 set artistic credibility'?

what i want to know is how this thread went from a 'what rock songs do you play out to get the beckies going' to 'what rock songs will most give my funk 45 set artistic credibility'?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I played the 7-inch of "I Need You Tonight" at Stef's party on Friday and it killed.
    The 12" is where it's at. Segues directly into "Mediate", just in case your Beckies need a double-dose. Plus, great record to leave the decks and take care of other business to, as the side is probably 9-10 minutes long.

And cosine on Journey. Gotta give the people what they want. And, apparently, the people want Journey.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cosign on The Slits.
    Also:
    Dazed and Confused ??? Led Zep
    96 Tears - ? and The Mysterians
    Apricot Brandy ??? Rhinoceros
    Crimson and Clover ??? Tommy Shondell
    Time of the Season ??? The Zombies
    Can???t You Hear Me Knockin and Monkey Man ??? Stones
    I Know I???m Losin You ??? Rare Earth
    Ramblin Gamblin Man ??? Bob Seger System
    Shakin All Over ??? Guess Who
    Taxman ??? Beatles
    Fly at Night - Chiliwack

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    all i gots to say is:

bloodhound gang "firewater burn"

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    everybody in $monde keeps talking about how we got to do a funk night. fine. but i'm constantly fantasizing about doing an AM Gold night. without a fucking hint of irony. after this nice long sunny day. i'm drinking a pina colada too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    everybody in $monde keeps talking about how we got to do a funk night. fine. but i'm constantly fantasizing about doing an AM Gold night. without a fucking hint of irony. after this nice long sunny day. i'm drinking a pina colada too.

you sayin i should do it naked? i will. after my mustache fills in better.

Whoa ... I've had the same idea recently. Right down to the name. I guess maybe I'm not over the Yacht Rock thing. But it goes so much deeper: Boz Scaggs, Bob Welch, America, Rupert Holmes, Seals and Crofts, The Doobies ... it goes on and on. The music is just so damned good. And, so far, there hasn't been a retro lite rock movement. Most would argue that we don't need one, I'm sure. But I assume its because you just can't fake that level of smooth. Those guys could write some songs. And the look ... all these ugly mustachio dudes getting crazy ladies because they're so damned sensitive and smooth. Classic.

all these ugly mustachio dudes

I was rockin' that look last summer:

the canvas can do miracles

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    bottom line: if people really hate mainstream music they shouldnt go to mainstream clubs/bars. there are plenty of niche parties where you can have fun and support djs playing raers or....even go see some live music.

also...if you are a dj who refuses to play any mainstream sh*t at a club that caters to the general, musically unsophisticated public, you are fighting a losing battle. a technically skilled dj + creativity with mainstream music ='s a dope club experience.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    bottom line: if people really hate mainstream music they shouldnt go to mainstream clubs/bars. there are plenty of niche parties where you can have fun and support djs playing raers or....even go see some live music.

also...if you are a dj who refuses to play any mainstream sh*t at a club that caters to the general, musically unsophisticated public, you are fighting a losing battle. a technically skilled dj + creativity with mainstream music ='s a dope club experience.

Dudes just don't get it

There's plenty of 'mainstream' rock that is actually good music, one does not need to go obscure to play good rock... why is this so hard to understand???

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There's plenty of 'mainstream' rock that is actually good music, one does not need to go obscure to play good rock... why is this so hard to understand???

Because some of us have actually heard Fall Out Boy and those jokers are topping the charts, that's why. OBSCURE GARAGE ROCK, HERE WE COME!!!

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    so far, there hasn't been a retro lite rock movement.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts