Obvious rock in the club

pabloscooterpabloscooter 370 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
prompted by the "dead funk thread" where someone mentioned dropping some rock for the beckies all to good response. What are the obvious rock songs you dont mind playing out. Rep your rock in the club. Dio dudes stand up.

Comments

• I can't play more than one of these tracks a night, but they have all killed rooms at diffrent times

AC/DC - You Shook Me or Back In Black
    The Darkness -i believe in a thing called love
    Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer (got the pic sleve 7 inch in my DJ bag right now)
    Prince - Let's Go Crazy (not the 12 inch mix with all the solos, stick with the album version so you can get to that ending)

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    that's hard, most rock has been played so much i can't stand to hear it -- much less purposely play it

maybe "Love Spreads" by the Stone Roses. many people didn't like that album but the song is kind of cool. or maybe a lesser-known but good Rolling Stones track.

Hendrix stuff is still okay with me too. somehow his music doesn't quite verge on butt rock.

Cornelius - "Last Night in Africa" is great

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    White Stripes 'Seven Nation Army'

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    White Stripes 'Seven Nation Army'

ive played elastica once, but its not a beckie slayer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Superstition - Stevie Wonder................. ......

Isley Bros....Ohio/Machine Gun............In the first hour/Warmup hour

• john cougar - hurt so good... yes it does

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Clapton-Willie and the Hand Jive pitched +8
    Stones-Beast of Burden

• van halen- runnin' with the devil

• White Stripes 'Seven Nation Army'

Labcabin has a nice sortahousey remix of this right now.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    james gang - funk#49

• that's hard, most rock has been played so much i can't stand to hear it -- much less purposely play it

maybe "Love Spreads" by the Stone Roses. many people didn't like that album but the song is kind of cool. or maybe a lesser-known but good Rolling Stones track.

Hendrix stuff is still okay with me too. somehow his music doesn't quite verge on butt rock.

Cornelius - "Last Night in Africa" is great

umm, the title of the thread is Obvious, not "lesser known"

• There's a whole world of 80s gems that no one has even gotten close to yet:

INXS - Need You Tonight
    Tears For Fears - Shout/Head Over Heels
    any Duran Duran
    Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me
    Talking Heads - Burning Down The House

et. al...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    not to be cynical or a rock snob...but why the fuck would you DJ these tunes? Seems like you could turn on a "rock" station in any major city and hear every one of these songs...never understod DJing for lame asses that wanna hear fucking Bon Jovi or John Cougar Mellonhead...I do not understand folks that wanna get drunk and party/dance to something you can hear at any given time of day on the radio...if you are getting paid to play this stuff, more power to ya...but jeez, come on

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    not to be cynical or a rock snob...but why the fuck would you DJ these tunes? Seems like you could turn on a "rock" station in any major city and hear every one of these songs...never understod DJing for lame asses that wanna hear fucking Bon Jovi or John Cougar Mellonhead...I do not understand folks that wanna get drunk and party/dance to something you can hear at any given time of day on the radio...if you are getting paid to play this stuff, more power to ya...but jeez, come on

John Cougar Menstrualcramp is the ultimate guilty pleasure. Cherry Bomb is my girl on the side. After 3 hours of funk and soul, a good rock song is a great palate cleaner.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    a good rock song is a great palate cleaner.

true, but not one of those played out tunes.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    After 3 hours of funk and soul, a good rock song is a great palate cleaner.

80s top 20 rock songs are NOT going to mix in with vintage funk/soul...

When I throw in rock its Hendrix, Who, T.Rex, Devo, etc

a good rock song is a great palate cleaner.

true, but not one of those played out tunes.

I play rock regularly with the funk n soul...but like the aforementioned Hendrix, TRex, etc there are hundreds of rockin' songs with hittin drums that can slide into a funk n soul set that wouldnt be such a punch in the groin of good taste... the well-known RnB side of 60s rock: Animals, Them, Pretty Things,Sonics, Creation,("Making Time" sets folks off) Stones,(the last few times I have played "We Love You", lots of folks runnin up asking what it is),Slade,etc...a buncha good songs that arent on some "Dude looks like a lady" steez

• not to be cynical or a rock snob...but why the fuck would you DJ these tunes? Seems like you could turn on a "rock" station in any major city and hear every one of these songs...never understod DJing for lame asses that wanna hear fucking Bon Jovi or John Cougar Mellonhead...I do not understand folks that wanna get drunk and party/dance to something you can hear at any given time of day on the radio...if you are getting paid to play this stuff, more power to ya...but jeez, come on

not to be a smartass, but can you read? The title of the thread is OBVIOUS rock songs.

not to be a smartass, but can you read? The title of the thread is OBVIOUS rock songs.

yes, i read on a 17th graders level....I didnt know obvious meant "shitty"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Yeah, I'm not with the INXS type stuff but I'll ride for "beast of burden" all night long.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Isley Bros....Ohio/Machine Gun............In the first hour/Warmup hour

As slow as that is??? (Even as a warmup...)

• what i want to know is how this thread went from a 'what rock songs do you play out to get the beckies going' to 'what rock songs will most give my funk 45 set artistic credibility'?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

journey "don't stop believing" kills everytime

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

you dont understand folks who wanna party and dance to songs they know? sing the words? not everybody is into raers or even objectively good music that isn't played out. being a good dj has a lot to do with pleasing the crowd. believe it or not, there are plenty of unsophisticated music folks who get excited when corny rock songs come on.

i think the better counter-argument is - ok, if you have to play cheesy rock, at least make your selection somewhat unique- or your own. there are plenty of sing-a-long rock songs aside from "you shook me all night long" and "living on a prayer". nothing wrong with giving the people what you want, but you can definitely add your own flavor to it.

whatever...no matter how you slice it, Bon Jovi is just straight up shitty music...

• Yeah, I'm not with the INXS type stuff but I'll ride for "beast of burden" all night long.

I played the 7-inch of "I Need You Tonight" at Stef's party on Friday and it killed.

Other "obvious rock" that always works: Rolling Stones "Miss You" (although that's borderline disco).

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

you dont understand folks who wanna party and dance to songs they know? sing the words? not everybody is into raers or even objectively good music that isn't played out. being a good dj has a lot to do with pleasing the crowd. believe it or not, there are plenty of unsophisticated music folks who get excited when corny rock songs come on.

i think the better counter-argument is - ok, if you have to play cheesy rock, at least make your selection somewhat unique- or your own. there are plenty of sing-a-long rock songs aside from "you shook me all night long" and "living on a prayer". nothing wrong with giving the people what you want, but you can definitely add your own flavor to it.

I think part of the confusion here is that Hook Up and I DJ to a different type of crowd... Bon Jovi would get the gasface whereas Them would get folks excited (and yes, there are circles where the folks know the lyrics to Them songs but not Bon Jovi)

Not hating those who use INXS or GNR, I've got those records at home - just never been in a situation where I felt the need (or desire) to play them out

Yes, yes hatred for BJ though

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    EEEEYYYYY, YOUSE DISS THE FUCKIN' JOVI OVA HEAH YOUSE DISS YOURSELF.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    if you are getting paid to play this stuff, more power to ya...

What, you don't get paid when you DJ?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    if you are getting paid to play this stuff, more power to ya...

What, you don't get paid when you DJ?

Hook_Up's getting paid to play much better shit. Trust me.

As for this thread, once again Soulstrut proves its taste in rock is even more embarrassing than its taste in clothes.