Bob & Gene "if this world were mine" new Daptone

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
excuse me if theres already been a thread about this release but gotdamn this is an amazing collection. 12 songs of sweet soul perfection like what

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yes, it's very good.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yes, it's very good.

is bob the same Bobby Nunn of early 80's motown moder soul fame?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    yes, it's very good.

yes

edit: and it's very good. Cop the Daptone release, it's all the info you seek is in the extensive liner notes

• yes, it's very good.

Yessir.

Dave Griffiths put this project together & he did a terrific job. (Maybe he'll give away some more free copies at Bumpshop this weekend... excuse the shameless plug... )

I hear there were hours of tapes to sort thru so there might be more where this came from.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Amnesty reissue on ST is real nice, too.

I got it because they were sold out of Bob & Gene
    at the local store that carries stuff like this.

Hopefully they'll have it back in stock this weekend.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm pretty ignorant on the background of this project (but will be purchasing) - did these guys not release anything BITD??

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Also, Vampisoul just put out an Andre Williams 2 LP set
    that looks sweet (alongside the Sister's Love one) -

... and the Numero Twinight set is out on CD

I haven't copped yet cause I'm hoping for wax, but this
    set looks like repop of the decade ...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'm pretty ignorant on the background of this project (but will be purchasing) - did these guys not release anything BITD??

They put out some 45's on MO DO bitd but a full length never saw the light of day. Mark you will love the Bob and Gene, its SO good. That Twinight set looks I know what my next purchase is gonna be. wonder if its gonna come out on vinyl?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    GET YOURS

and that numero twinight comp is

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i gotta admit i wasnt a huge fan of the bob & gene...but yeah that amnesty album that just came out is pretty damn good. bob & gene was good, but i dont think its gonna get too many repeat listens honestly..

im glad the dude who runs my local shop likes this shit or id be totally lost.

• i gotta admit i wasnt a huge fan of the bob & gene...but yeah that amnesty album that just came out is pretty damn good. bob & gene was good, but i dont think its gonna get too many repeat listens honestly..

im glad the dude who runs my local shop likes this shit or id be totally lost.

Come back to it in 5 years dude. You'll be like 'what the fuck was I thinking back then?' Sweet soul takes a little bit longer to fully appreciate, at least that's how it worked for me. Now I can't get enough.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I read something on Bob an Gene awhile ago that was written, I believe, by Ms Shingaling. From what I can recall, Bob & Gene put out I think 5 different 45s of their own, but there were close to 30 releases on the MoDo imprint. I'm pretty sure most of the Bob & Gene singles were recorded in Buffalo, with the exception of maybe one or two that were done elsewhere (Williamsville?). All the records were pressed in Cincinnati, though, first at Rite and then later at Queen City Albums (QCA). I don't have any of the Rite pressings, but supposedly they were pretty lousy, thus the switch to QCA. QCA is also where the 45s picked up the multi-color pinwheel label design (the Rite pressings were yellow).

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

I read something on Bob an Gene awhile ago that was written, I believe, by Ms Shingaling. From what I can recall, Bob & Gene put out I think 5 different 45s of their own, but there were close to 30 releases on the MoDo imprint. I'm pretty sure most of the Bob & Gene singles were recorded in Buffalo, with the exception of maybe one or two that were done elsewhere (Williamsville?). All the records were pressed in Cincinnati, though, first at Rite and then later at Queen City Albums (QCA). I don't have any of the Rite pressings, but supposedly they were pretty lousy, thus the switch to QCA. QCA is also where the 45s picked up the multi-color pinwheel label design (the Rite pressings were yellow).

i have some Mo Do 45's, all yellow labels. most are gospel actually. except for the one Bob and Gene:

#108 Bob and Gene "I can Be Cool" / "Sailboat"

the others:

#106 "What A friend" (Mary lewis) / "god can" (sharon lidge)
    #107 Rev Guy J Graves "in a little shack (pt 1 and 2)"
    #109 the singing sons "the day the lord had made/ keep our hand"
    #111 Rev Guy J Graves "amazing grace / why am i treated so bad"
    #115 the five great wonders "ive got to make the journey" / "wipe away our tears"

im waiting impatiently for that LP, it must be absurd. got the reissue of 'you gave me love/your name' and its awesome.

williamsville is a buffalo suburb, so its pretty much buffalo for all the bob and genes.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

i have some Mo Do 45's, all yellow labels. most are gospel actually. except for the one Bob and Gene:

#108 Bob and Gene "I can Be Cool" / "Sailboat"

the others:

#106 "What A friend" (Mary lewis) / "god can" (sharon lidge)
    #107 Rev Guy J Graves "in a little shack (pt 1 and 2)"
    #109 the singing sons "the day the lord had made/ keep our hand"
    #111 Rev Guy J Graves "amazing grace / why am i treated so bad"
    #115 the five great wonders "ive got to make the journey" / "wipe away our tears"

im waiting impatiently for that LP, it must be absurd. got the reissue of 'you gave me love/your name' and its awesome.

williamsville is a buffalo suburb, so its pretty much buffalo for all the bob and genes.

Here's a scan of the QCA press of "I Gotta Find a Way" (LOVE this song!).

And, an almost complete discography courtesy of NewYorkSoulRecordings.com

101 Bob And Gene "Your Name/ You Gave Me Love"
    102 4 Andantes "Hipper Than Me/ The End Of Love"
    103 Gerald Trotter "One More Hurt/ The Love In My Heart"
    104 Bob And Gene "I Really, Really Love You/ Which Love"
    105 Carlena Weaver/ Majestic Sounds Ltd. "Smile A Rainbow/Happy Mood"
    106 Mary Lewis/Sharon Lidge "What A Friend/ God Can"
    615 Rev. C.T. Nelson "Great Consolation/ A Prayer"
    108 Bob And Gene "Sailboat/ I Can Be Cool"
    109 The Singing Sons "The Day The Lord Had Made/ Keep Our Hand"
    110 Alfred O "Do What You Want To Do/ A Vacation From Love"
    111 Rev. Guy J Graves "Amazing Grace/ Why Am I Treated So Bad"
    112 Bible Tones Of Buffalo "I've Got Religion/ Jesus Cares"
    113 ???
    114 Bob And Gene "Don???t Leave Me Girl/ Gotta Find A Way"
    115 The Five Great Wonders "I've Got To Make The Journey/ Wipe Away Our Tears"
    116 King's Of Harmony "Resting Easy/ Leak in The Building"
    117 Open Door Church Of God In Christ "Jesus/ Better Way"
    118 The Morning Stars "Wait On Jesus/ Step On Board"
    119 James T. Horn "Glory Bound Train/ Your Life Depend"
    120 The Northington Singers w/ lead. Martha Craft "Unbelieving Souls/ Calling Me"
    121 Sharon Graves/Rev.Guy Graves "Away From Home/ Think About It"
    122 ???
    123 The Patterson Specials "I'll Overcome/ Show Me the Way"
    124 The A.C.G.C. "No Mountain High Enough/ Put A Little Love In Your Heart"
    125 Bob And Gene "If This World Were Mine/ It Won???t Go"
    126 Nancy Lee & Al Johnson & the Soul-Jers "X-Mas Dream/ X-Mas Commercial Blues"
    127 Nancy Lee "No Words For Love/ In My Dreams"
    128 Bob And Gene "Don't Leave Me / Gotta Find A Way"

You should send them the info from the Rev Guy J Graves 45.