Joe Hicks-Life And Death In GA (Parts 1 2)

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited November 2017 in Music Talk
I promised that I would up this when I got it, but this is both parts of the 45, edited so it's essentially one song. Again, this was recorded during the same time as There's A Riot Going On. Kinda crispy, but still good. Enjoy.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I promised that I would up this when I got it, but this is both parts of the 45, edited so it's essentially one song. Again, this was recorded during the same time as There's A Riot Going On. Kinda crispy, but still good. Enjoy.

Joe Hicks - Life And Death In G&A

Any opinions on Joe Hicks' album on Enterprise (from '73)?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Joe Hicks - Life And Death In G&A

Still haven't heard it.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Is that in reference to the song, or me not having the Enterprise album yet?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

that was for me not having this 45....

Alright. The label I got was a white label promo different from the one I have on my discography page. I don't have a scanner now, unfortunately, but I'll scan it when I do.

I'm supposed to be getting the version of "Life And Death In G&A" by Abaco Dream, which is Sly & The Family Stone incognito (and according to the A&M site, Joe Hicks is on that one as well).

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Alright. The label I got was a white label promo different from the one I have on my discography page. I don't have a scanner now, unfortunately, but I'll scan it when I do.

I'm supposed to be getting the version of "Life And Death In G&A" by Abaco Dream, which is Sly & The Family Stone incognito (and according to the A&M site, Joe Hicks is on that one as well).

put that abaco up when you get your hands on it, im interested to see them in comparison...

put that abaco up when you get your hands on it, im interested to see them in comparison...

I will, should be any day now. I had heard that the Abaco one is definitely of 1968 vintage, and more in your face than the laid back Joe Hicks version. But yeah, I will definitely do that.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

I will, should be any day now. I had heard that the Abaco one is definitely of 1968 vintage, and more in your face than the laid back Joe Hicks version. But yeah, I will definitely do that.

::twiddling thumbs::

good looking out

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Wow, that rhythm track sounds alot like "Stanga" by Little Sister, which was part of the discussion when you said you would eventually post this...seems like the Stoneflower label was where Sly got his early drum machine styles on.

Thanks for posting it, looking forward to the follow-up version...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Mediocre. Slow and bluesy. Opening song is good and has a nice drum break intro making it a one-tracker in my book.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=H&page=8

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Mediocre. Slow and bluesy. Opening song is good and has a nice drum break intro making it a one-tracker in my book.

I'd actually heard a little bit of it in a record store one time, but wasn't paying close attention. I remember it being decent, but I'm always up for a second opinion.

But you know what kept me from buying that album for the longest time?

That goofy version of "Rock Me Baby" he did, which I have on this 80's compilation called THE STAX BLUES BROTHERS. He's scatting and oversouling like Al Jarreau or something. I was ready to write him off just based on that.

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts

I actually really like this album; the drum break is nice, but for me its all about the 9 minute midtempo "Ruby Dean" which is more Black Rock than blues.

Joe Hicks also has another Sly produced 45, sounds like it was recorded more during the "Dance to the Music" period; its much harder sounding with outstanding horn arrangements. Highly Recommended.

Joe Hicks also has another Sly produced 45, sounds like it was recorded more during the "Dance to the Music" period; its much harder sounding with outstanding horn arrangements. Highly Recommended.

THIS is the pricey one, and out of the two Joe Hicks 45's with Sly involvement, the rarer of the two. I have wanted to hear this for AGES! If this is your copy, at least confirm this. The two titles are similar ("I'm Going Home"/"Home Sweet Home"). Are they Part 1 & 2 of the same song, or two completely different songs?

I want this 45 bad.

Finally got my copy, and here it is, "for comparison purposes":

Abaco Dream-Life And Death In G&A

The B-side, "Cat Woman", was described in a few online reviews I've seen as being more of a psych track. It's loosely "psych", but it's the one that has a few nice moments of interest, especially the intro. I had it on 33 when I played this and the groove was a lot better (when I record it to WAV files, I record it on 33 @ 32000, adjust the bit rate, then slow down by a few percent, blah blah). But... in the spirit of being nice, here it is as well (at normal 45rpm):

Abaco Dream - Cat Woman