Top5 Rappers from your city (past or present)

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    hahaha speaking of the East Bay you got 580 [/b] posts right now.

• I guess from DC Metro Area it would have to be:

Flex Matthews
    Kev Brown
    Asheru
    Oddessey
    Storm the Unpradictable
    Seize Mics

plus there are a bunch of other Indie dudes who are nice but don't have the grind like these cats.

• Chill Rob G
    Heather B
    Joe Buddens
    Chill Divine
    Chop Diesel

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Most of my favorite Cally heads have been mentioned. But my favorite Portland Rapper is
    MIC CRENSHAW..........people dont even know. Dude is real.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Jay-Z
    Biggie Smalls
    Big Daddy Kane
    Ol Dirty Bastard
    Jean Grae
    i thought jean grae was from chelsea.

• I Self Devine
    Brother Ali
    Slug
    Mazta I
    Mike Mictlan

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    greenville, nc:

PETEY PABLO

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i guess i gotta claim Philly as my city, so...

EST
    Black Thought
    Beans
    Will Smith
    #5 could be whoever, don't really matter... i'm partial to Freeweezy, but since Cassidy did eat him alive I really don't feel right giving him the #5 spot

I almost put Will in my top 5 as well, but it was a toss-up between him and Schoolly School, and Parkside beat out Overbrook. Had to get Ice Dog up in the mix cause he is just like the epitome of that North Philly style that was just so raw back in the day, and if it weren't for him there would be no Peedi Crakk - who I also thought of putting in. But on the strength just on catalog alone Beans takes it over all the rest of State Property. Plus he's the only one who REALLY reps ES PEE[/b] (all DAY!,) along with Black Thought, so you know where my allegiances are.

Props to so many other Philly rappers both old and new. But how about:

TOP FIVE PHILLY HIP-HOP ARTISTS with "MONEY" IN THEIR NAME"[/b]

- Tat Money
    - Cash Money
    - Money B
    - Yvette Money
    - Code Money

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    cos why no love for free?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I love Free but it was either him or Beans, since I had to put Black Thought up there, and I had to rep for the 3 "old-school" rappers I named. Free is TOP TEN no doubt, but he's not touching Beans, plus like I said, Beans reps for South Philly and that's where I am from.

I love ALL of the State Property though. It's real.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Beans

For a minute, I thought people were talking about that dude from Anti-pop consortium. I was really confused!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

EST
    Black Thought
    Beans
    Will Smith
    #5 could be whoever, don't really matter... i'm partial to Freeweezy, but since Cassidy did eat him alive I really don't feel right giving him the #5 spot

No love for Steady B?

Hell to the naw! Hope he's okay though.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

EST
    Black Thought
    Beans
    Will Smith

No Schooly D?

Nope... definitely made some great records (PSK being probably the dopest thing to ever come out of Philly) and is a pioneer, no doubt... i just never thought that he could really rap. Sorry, Schoolly School.

• Ric Jilla

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

EST
    Black Thought
    Beans
    Will Smith

No love for Steady B?

Hell to the naw! Hope he's okay though.

Daaaaamn!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

EST
    Black Thought
    Beans
    Will Smith

No Schooly D?

Nope... definitely made some great records (PSK being probably the dopest thing to ever come out of Philly) and is a pioneer, no doubt... i just never thought that he could really rap. Sorry, Schoolly School.

I gotta say thought that I could include him just on swagger alone.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Dallas:

DOC
    Headkrack
    Chucky Sly
    Massive
    Rob Love

Just started this website for Dallas Rap too

www.dallasraparchive.com

• i guess i gotta claim Philly as my city, so...

EST
    Black Thought
    Beans
    Will Smith

No Schooly D?

Haha. I had the EXACT same thought but then I wasn't sure if he was from Philly or not.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Beans

For a minute, I thought people were talking about that dude from Anti-pop consortium. I was really confused!

dude, that's what i thought too! i was like

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    i thought jean grae was from chelsea.

born in south Africa - has repped BK from first Bum Deal single thru all her Brooklyn Academy affliations. But if need be - we're that thick - MC Lyte.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Most of my favorite Cally heads have been mentioned. But my favorite Portland Rapper is

Crenshaw is nice, what was the name of his group?
    They put on a great show, their name escapes me though.

The 503-5:
    Jumbo
    Vursytile
    Cool Nutz
    Libretto
    Pete Miser

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Tyree Cooper
    Kool Rock Steady
    White Knight
    2 Young Brothers
    Wesley Willis

The 503-5:
    Jumbo
    Vursytile
    Cool Nutz
    Libretto
    Pete Miser

Hungry Mob, Cleveland Steamers, or Sucka Punch? He has quite the resume' The Lifesavas are cool as well.
    I didnt know you were from or lived in portland??

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

The 503-5:
    Jumbo
    Vursytile
    Cool Nutz
    Libretto[/b]
    Pete Miser

Just tonight I saw literally about 100 sealed Libretto 12"s in the fifty cent bin at Everyday Music on Sandy. Frankly, I think that about sums up the Portland hip hop scene. I've been seeing the same dudes play the same little shows for the last ten years. Nobody is really going anywhere.

The 503-5:
    Jumbo
    Vursytile
    Cool Nutz
    Libretto[/b]
    Pete Miser

Just tonight I saw literally about 100 sealed Libretto 12"s in the fifty cent bin at Everyday Music on Sandy. Frankly, I think that about sums up the Portland hip hop scene. I've been seeing the same dudes play the same little shows for the last ten years. Nobody is really going anywhere.

Yeah I saw those about a week ago as well. You cant base the entire scene on that though. People are still making moves.
    A lot of these cats (even if not originally from pdx) are signed to majors and touring the world in addition to playing locally. Lifesavas = Quanum, Ohmega = Ubquity, Greyskull= Rhyme Sayers, Boom Bap = Fatbeats and that dude Immaculate won the scribble jam.

Part of Portlands problem is the lack of support, these guys do a lot of local shows and still get more love in places other than portland. There are a lot of crappy rappers and too many shitty dj's, I guess the same could be said about any city. There goes my "lack of support" statement but really I think too may performers are afraid to take a chance and cut the cord. How can you have a fan base or following if your own city hates on you? Think about it, the dudes that are breaking out are doing it WITHOUT the support of portland people. It shouldnt be like that. You want to talk about the same dudes playing the same shows lets talk about lyrics born and ab rude coming 6 times a year.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Berlin

top 5

worst 5

Sido
    Fler
    Bushido
    King Orgasmus One
    Bass Sultan Hengzt

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Ess Deez Nuts:

Icey Lee