European Soccer Related

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
The LFC avatars reminded me to big up the scousers in knocking out Barca. Nice one.I was reading about the punch up in the Inter-Valencia match, and this made me laugh:"Valencia went through to the Champions League quarter-finals on the away goals rule after the 0-0 draw, but the game was marred by the scenes after the final whistle.Blows were exchanged by Valencia's Carlos Marchena and Nicolas Burdisso of Inter before Valencia substitute David Navarro came from the sidelines and punched Burdisso and broke his nose."Man has anger issues since the Carmen Electra split...

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• still my favorite:

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah congrats to Liverpool for that one. Great result though, as someone who's team play tonight, I'd muich rather have faced Barca in the next round than the Liverpool team that appears for European matches.

I've watched that clip a couple of times today and it's made me laugh every time, something to do with the way Navarro breaks Burdisso's nose then runs away while the inter players try and sweep his legs.

Yeah congrats to Liverpool for that one. Great result though, as someone who's team play tonight, I'd muich rather have faced Barca in the next round than the Liverpool team that appears for European matches.

I've watched that clip a couple of times today and it's made me laugh every time, something to do with the way Navarro breaks Burdisso's nose then runs away while the inter players try and sweep his legs.

I'm hoping some enterprising Youtuber sets that chase to the Benny Hill theme.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    2 night psv and tommorow az in uefa
    shame on lyon btw.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    2 night psv

[nervous]my Gunners have been looking kinda sketchy. my dudes need to come back with avengence on this one.[/nervous]

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    its fucked up to see koeman doing something he couldnt with ajax.
    and im afraid ajax wont be in the CL next year.
    good luck gunners.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Fingers crossed the Gunners make it but i have a feeling it's gonna be the same as all the other boring teams they play who stick 11 men behind the ball for the whole game and get a cheap goal on the counter...
    Not that i'm bitter or anything haha
    I hope they get through and end up playing Liverpool (even though they were great against Barca), we already murked them three times this season so once more should be ok...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    LEFTIES DO IT BETTER

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    2 night psv

[nervous]my Gunners have been looking kinda sketchy. my dudes need to come back with avengence on this one.[/nervous]

i think the word i am looking for is fuck[/b].

i am salty now.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    It could be worse - you could be a Man City fan.

"Who are these exotically-named European clubs of which you speak?"

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    four words: you'll never walk alone.

three words: f man u.

two words: chelsea scum

one word spelled out: LIV-ERP double O L, Liverpool FC

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I highly enjoyed the 2 PSV matches. I heard the British press was all over them for playing cowardly 2 weeks ago, but really they were just playing the game smarter than Arsenal, kinda like teams like AC Milan win their games. It may not be the most eyecatching form of football, but it does get results. I have to admit Arsenal was a lot stronger today than two weeks ago though.

Really surprised by Inter going out of the tounament, considering the incredible season they're having in the Serie A I expected them to win the Champions League as well.

Apart from that no real surprises this round, Barcelona seemed to be playing with a total lack of inspiration and never really deserved to beat Liverpool.

• PSV

Ajax is my team..but i can't hate on PSV..good to have a Dutch team still in the Champions league.

I highly enjoyed the 2 PSV matches. I heard the British press was all over them for playing cowardly 2 weeks ago, but really they were just playing the game smarter than Arsenal, kinda like teams like AC Milan win their games. It may not be the most eyecatching form of football, but it does get results. I have to admit Arsenal was a lot stronger today than two weeks ago though.

Really surprised by Inter going out of the tournament, considering the incredible season they're having in the Serie A I expected them to win the Champions League as well.

Apart from that no real surprises this round, Barcelona seemed to be playing with a total lack of inspiration and never really deserved to beat Liverpool.

Yeah but domestic leagues are never a great indicator of a team's European form - having said that, despite Arsenal's pathetic performance (2 legs? no goals actually scored by team? against PSV?) it's great to see three "English" teams still in the competition at quarter final stage. Got to take a moment to feel sorry for Celtic as well, almost ground out a legendary result.

Interested to see what the draw is, wonder what the odds are on Chelsea v Liverpool again............

Really surprised by Inter going out of the tournament, considering the incredible season they're having in the Serie A I expected them to win the Champions League as well.

Yeah but domestic leagues are never a great indicator of a team's European form - having said that, despite Arsenal's pathetic performance (2 legs? no goals actually scored by team? against PSV?) it's great to see three "English" teams still in the competition at quarter final stage. Got to take a moment to feel sorry for Celtic as well, almost ground out a legendary result.

Interested to see what the draw is, wonder what the odds are on Chelsea v Liverpool again............

I'm hoping we draw United.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

I'm hoping you don't

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    four words: you'll never walk alone.

three words: f man u.

two words: chelsea scum

one word spelled out: LIV-ERP double O L, Liverpool FC

Ah, so you're the United fan who doesn't think O'Shea's a useless whopper that should have been shipped out two seasons ago?

I'm hoping you don't

Well, they're the only side left that I'm certain we could beat. Half their squad's crocked at the moment. Wouldn't want PSV, Milan or Valencia at this stage.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    John O'Shea is gay & thats ok.

I'm hoping you don't

Well, they're the only side left that I'm certain we could beat. Half their squad's crocked at the moment. Wouldn't want PSV, Milan or Valencia at this stage.

Yeah I agree entirely. Unfortunately, for my sins, I was brought up as a United supporter from a tender age (why does revealing this always feel like some sort of AA meeting?). While I feel that our lack of a single fit out and out striker could be fudged and overcome against some of the teams left in the competition (Hi Italian teams!) I suspect that Liverpool's European form coupled with the shit throwing, ambulance rocking desire to beat us would result in an early exit from the tournament once again for our ruddy faced Scot and his team.

You'd definitely beat Chelsea anyway.

I'm hoping you don't

Yeah I agree entirely. Unfortunately, for my sins, I was brought up as a United supporter from a tender age (why does revealing this always feel like some sort of AA meeting?). While I feel that our lack of a single fit out and out striker could be fudged and overcome against some of the teams left in the competition (Hi Italian teams!) I suspect that Liverpool's European form coupled with the shit throwing, ambulance rocking desire to beat us would result in an early exit from the tournament once again for our ruddy faced Scot and his team.

I dunno about that. Drogba and Essien have been fantastic for them - Drogba's turn-and-volley against us at the Bridge is my goal of the season so far.

PSV have become a typical Koeman side, really tough to play against. Milan would be bang up for a rematch against us and, assuming they don't get banned (which is highly likely) Valencia, who are the real Best Team In Europe, will probably make the final and may even win it.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Drogba's turn-and-volley against us at the Bridge is my goal of the season so far.

yeah...shit was dope:

that dude has been a fucking scoring machine right from the get go this season.

I'm hoping you don't

I dunno about that. Drogba and Essien have been fantastic for them - Drogba's turn-and-volley against us at the Bridge is my goal of the season so far.

PSV have become a typical Koeman side, really tough to play against. Milan would be bang up for a rematch against us and, assuming they don't get banned (which is highly likely) Valencia, who are the real Best Team In Europe, will probably make the final and may even win it.

Yeah Didier has silenced the critics (me included) this season with his form but they're looking suspect at the back at the moment. I always thought that Terry was a decent player but it appears that I've underestimated his influence on Chelsea as their defence is shockingly open without him (Porto's goal on tuesday was an all too easy split of the defence).

Valencia are on fire this season though, exactly the kind of team that wins the competition.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Drogba's turn-and-volley against us at the Bridge is my goal of the season so far.

yeah...shit was dope:

Scunthorpe vs Rotherham[/b]
    Uploaded by FootballHeaven

yeah...shit was dope:

Scunthorpe vs Rotherham[/b]
    Uploaded by FootballHeaven

Hahaha! That's class. Still, look again at that Drogba effort - the speed with which he cushions the ball, turns and volleys it, and with barely a glance towards goal, is staggering. Good as Beckford's effort is, he'd never get that much space or time on the ball against a Premiership defence.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    that was nice, but...

just so we are all on the same page here....this[/b] is the best goal of the '06/'07 season so far.

he may be fat, but he's still one of the best.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Well Beckford is about 17 so I think he'll be in the Premiership soon enough. I think the Drogba goal was cool but just a sign of good instincts. The Ronaldinho goal was a sign of good instincts and a little bit of genius. I mean he only kicked it like that because the initial chest control didn't happen as planned. Plus that's not the sort of "BK" that will make it onto the cutaways for EVERY SINGLE US SOCCER SHOW. Even Mia Hamm can do them better than that!