Wasnt Baltimore Supposed 2b Next?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
In terms of a "New" Sound in HipHop? Can some one break it down for me? What goin on? Who's the "lead" figure/figures.Is there such a "sound"?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Baltimore rap?

Labtekwon and shit?

Baltimore club maybe.

I don't think dudes in Baltimore are really sweating rap shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    In terms of a "New" Sound in HipHop?

Can some one break it down for me? What goin on? Who's the "lead" figure/figures.
    Is there such a "sound"?

Only if one looks to Labcabin to forecast what is "next"....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I coulda swore I read an article/seen some photos of cats doin their thang in B-More. "Watch out for So-n-So."

I coulda swore I read an article/seen some photos of cats doin their thang in B-More. "Watch out for So-n-So."

In the Fader?

That would be the other mindgardenesque virtual space in which Baltimore was "next"...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Austin, dude...for real.

Well actually, I'm not sure about any entirely new sounds in hip-hop...but if you want to find an area overflowing with relatively unrecognized rap music that is certifiably good...Austin is it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    lol. dude I think you're the "certifiable" one.

Sounds like you need to come and get it how you know you want it.

you need to come and get it how you know you want it.

YES! i was waiting for that one.

for real I do have some people in Austin. i'd like to get back out there; it's been about a year.

who's good in Austin hip-hop? please to post some shit.

(no use upholding the "baltimore" thread pretense any longer I say.)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Austin, dude...for real.

Well actually, I'm not sure about any entirely new sounds in hip-hop...but if you want to find an area overflowing with relatively unrecognized rap music that is certifiably good...Austin is it.

Haven't you been sayin this for like 3 years? Just sayin.

Can someone replace "Burger King" with "Busted Lip" so that I can use that as an avatar?

you need to come and get it how you know you want it.

YES! i was waiting for that one.

for real I do have some people in Austin. i'd like to get back out there; it's been about a year.

You're going to let Shied give it to you how he knows you want it?

how do you know he doesn't know you want it how he wants you to want it?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    there's a new sound in baltimore?

Austin, dude...for real.

Haven't you been sayin this for like 3 years? Just sayin.

Yep, and during that time Salih Williams has had just about any single he has touched go national. And Rapid Ric has assumed a much more prominent position as well. If anyone outside of Texas gave any serious consideration to artists including Ryno, VIP, Gerald G, Black Mike, Bavu Blakes, Public Offenders, Hood Soul, Young Nick, Element7d, Rochelle Terrell, D-Madness, etc., it'd be a done deal...easy.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    Hahaha. Welcome to Fader Issue #33!

Seriously though...

There was a lot of talk about Baltimore getting its shine on due to a few charismatic dudes, namely Bossman and Mullyman. These guys had mixtapes out awhile back (about the same time that Ja Rule/Fat Joe NY, NY was big, to give some context) and damn if I wasn't excited that these dudes were trying to make names for themselves.

Mullyman had two "bigger" hits with national names: Got It featuring the Clipse & Famlay, and Buck On 'Em, a Clinton Sparks-produced track with Freeway on it. I liked both of these, but Mully really didn't go anywhere after these got released, and there were even issues with Baltimore stations playing the records (Mully got as much or more play on Clinton's syndicated SMASH TIME segment than on local programming).

Bossman got signed to Virgin by JD along with...wait for it...SunNY and shit, he was even prioritized beneath that dude. Then the JD/Virgin shit happened, dude never really had anything sewn to begin with, and he's left with NoID and Rockwilder singles on the Virgin imprint that were never ever pushed. Not that they really deserved to be pushed, but...

I think Baltimore has some talent, but it'll be awhile before things really--if ever--start taking off.

That said, baltimore club tracks with emcees over them are getting popular around here (labtekwon's recent club track, blaq starr's hands up thumbs down, bossman's version of dance my pain away, etc.), and that may be the next thing in baltimore.

And Rapid Ric has assumed a position as well.

Hahaha. Welcome to Fader Issue #33!

Seriously though...

There was a lot of talk about Baltimore getting its shine on due to a few charismatic dudes, namely Bossman and Mullyman. These guys had mixtapes out awhile back (about the same time that Ja Rule/Fat Joe NY, NY was big, to give some context) and damn if I wasn't excited that these dudes were trying to make names for themselves.

Mullyman had two "bigger" hits with national names: Got It featuring the Clipse & Famlay, and Buck On 'Em, a Clinton Sparks-produced track with Freeway on it. I liked both of these, but Mully really didn't go anywhere after these got released, and there were even issues with Baltimore stations playing the records (Mully got as much or more play on Clinton's syndicated SMASH TIME segment than on local programming).

Bossman got signed to Virgin by JD along with...wait for it...SunNY and shit, he was even prioritized beneath that dude. Then the JD/Virgin shit happened, dude never really had anything sewn to begin with, and he's left with NoID and Rockwilder singles on the Virgin imprint that were never ever pushed. Not that they really deserved to be pushed, but...

I think Baltimore has some talent, but it'll be awhile before things really--if ever--start taking off.

That said, baltimore club tracks with emcees over them are getting popular around here (labtekwon's recent club track, blaq starr's hands up thumbs down, bossman's version of dance my pain away, etc.), and that may be the next thing in baltimore.

Sounds like Dallas to me...where all of their recent hype about a national come-up has basically amounted to 2, albeit a really strong 2, songs...

Twisted Black - Fool Wid It
    Tum Tum - Caprice Musik

how do you know he doesn't know you want it how he wants you to want it?

I have never suggested that I had any interest in coming to Austin in order to get it how Shied knows you want it. You, on the other hand...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Can someone replace "Burger King" with "Busted Lip" so that I can use that as an avatar?

I can't front, that would actually be a pretty dope design. You could even turn the burger buns in the BK logo into lips, one of them busted.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i just got this in an email from juan don (dunno how real it is)

What turned out as an offer to do music for MTV's hit show Rob &
    Big, has turned into a full blown MTV/Darkroom Productions merger which
    has your boys over at Darkroom now producing music for every show that
    MTV airs. MTV has never offered a contract of this kind to a producer
    or production team before. The deal not only covers hit shows like
    Real World and Laguna Beach, but also covers programming for Comedy
    Central, Nickelodeon, VH1, Spike TV, URGE, and MTV reality shows that down
    even exist yet. The grind never stops for your boys over at Darkroom,
    and thankfully, God has continued to bless us. So definitely be on the
    look out for hot new music from Darkroom on MTV for years and years to
    come.

so thats kinda cool. i liked hamsterdam mixtapes. bossman is under capitol now cuz of the merger, so who knows when that will come out. i did like that mullyman track "life the hood, the streetz" its that song playin at the end of season four wire. i think. when namond sees donut in the SUV.

but baltimore = next thing? naw, i dont think so. just nice to see some recognition at the national level.