IS POPSIKE DOWN!!????!!!!!!!!!!!??????????!!!!

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I have 1000 disco & classical records to look up and it keeps asking me to login!!??

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    worked fine for me.

if you look up too many things in too short a time it'll make you register.

---

• I get this too...registered but I've never gotten the "confirmation" email link.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Quote from this weekend's trip (shop name withheld to protect what is otherwise a cool shop)

"I haven't been able to price this thing for three days because I can't get on to Popsike."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have to sign in every time I use popsike.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Quote from this weekend's trip (shop name withheld to protect what is otherwise a cool shop)

"I haven't been able to price this thing for three days because I can't get on to Popsike."

Finally someone detected my sarcasm.

how else are you gonna price a record?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

It's not perfect. I was trying to price this Weather Report LP since I heard from Jake it was better than Placebo but I can't seem to find anything about it on popsike. It must be really, really raer!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    it was having problems last week when i was using it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

It's not perfect. I was trying to price this Weather Report LP since I heard from Jake it was better than Placebo but I can't seem to find anything about it on popsike. It must be really, really raer!

That is known now as 'BEYOND POPSIKE". If any of y'all own a Weather Report LP... DO NOT SELL OR TRADE IT UNTIL WE CAN GET AN OFFICIAL PRIZE CZECH!

I'll admit that most popsike prices are wildly unrealistic( & unobtainable for the average seller), but most compaints about popsike are based on "I want to buy this record for $5 but the seller/dealer/storeowner found it on popsike for $100"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'll admit that most popsike prices are wildly unrealistic( & unobtainable for the average seller), but most compaints about popsike are based on "I want to buy this record for $5 but the seller/dealer/storeowner found it on popsike for $100"

Eh, I don't know... I have no problem with store owners that use popsike as one source of information, but I do have a problem with those that don't know how to interpret that information, which seems to be at least half of them.

There are a lot of guys that pick the top price, then discount the fact that it reflects the global rather than the local market, and then further discount the fact that there is this thing known as grading.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah I never hate The 'Sike. I just wish dudes would do stuff like check around the rest of the internet at least, or call a couple people, or better yet LISTEN ( ) to the record and think about who might buy such a thing. There was a time when record dealers did a bit more than data entry...

[/rant]

or better yet LISTEN ( ) to the record and think about who might buy such a thing.

I'm really not feeling your attitude, son.

or better yet LISTEN ( ) to the record and think about who might buy such a thing.

let's be real: listening to a record is not gonna help Billy Beatles dealer price a boogie 12"

---

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

let's be real: listening to a record is not gonna help Billy Beatles dealer price a boogie 12"

Eggzactly

15 years ago those guys gave my dad hell for bringing 12"s to a record show, its only appropriate that they should continue to leave them alone...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

when in doubt

when in doubt

This guide lists Syl Johnson's Is It Because I'm Black LP
    as having a value of $27[/b] when in Near Mint condition ...

... I dream of the day I find the store filled with heat and
    the owner pulls out that bad boy to price my pile!

"Sure you don't want that Monkees picture sleeve on the wall, son?"

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Popsike is by no means the bible of records,
    but I don't think it's a bad idea to glance at before pricing rares.

Just so long as you're not the guy who calculated the average popsike-price (3 pages worth too!) of a recent purchase and called us back whining that we charged him $25 more than what his figure came out to be.

when in doubt

... I dream of the day I find the store filled with heat and
    the owner pulls out that bad boy to price my pile!

"Sure you don't want that Monkees picture sleeve on the wall, son?"

Haha... I love the old guys who the game has passed by that gripe endlessly about how nobody online knows what they're doing, as if these bullschitt price guides represent some absolute that wasn't dictated by market forces to begin with.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

when in doubt

You sure about that?? I know that a few years ago they overcompensated in their attempt to catch up w/the internet, putting shit like RAMP and Headless Heroes at 'BEYOND POPSIKE' prices (this may have been the other big price guide though, I don't really pay attention to either)

You sure about that??

It was about 2 years ago that I saw that, just randomly
    flipping through it at a Barnes & Noble, so they may have
    changed it by now - but at that time it was still around 10%
    of the actual value. Even funnier were the records not even
    listed. Like almost every valuable psych or soul record imaginable.