moviestrut: Black Snake Moan

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    that speech about 'maynekind'( or is it 'mangkind'?) in the beginning was hilarious.

I think the dude thought he was making something deep.

Who, that B&W clip of bluesman Son House philosophizing at the start of BSM?

He was probably drunk (there's a priceless clip of Howlin' Wolf berating him from the stage for being that way in the Wolf documentary).

I was talking about the intro of H&F where Terrence Howards pimp is philosphising in the car.

BSM looks awful, I'm not gonna pay money to see that.

---

Indeed it does.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i don't get twoply's argument at all. people are dumb so don't make smart films dumb people will take the wrong way?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Christina Ricci looked a lot better when she was a little bit thicker.

That is all.

I'm going to skip this one.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    i don't get twoply's argument at all. people are dumb so don't make smart films dumb people will take the wrong way?

Perhaps I should be dumbing down my posts.

It's simple. I think Hustle and Flow tried to make being a pimp and oppressing women look cool. Miss Bassie thinks that viewers can see the film and come to the conclusion that despite the fact the hero was a pimp who oppressed women, it's actually not cool to be a misogynistic pimp . I think the average[/b] viewer from the United States will not see it that way. Miss Bassie thinks that if all films were dumbed-down, we would not have any art films. I agree, but in this conversation I think her point is moot, as Hustle and Flow was meant to be shown in mainstream theaters all over the country. She thinks it is an art film. I disagree with her.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

As a man who fondly remembers Buffalo 66, I must agree.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Perhaps I should be dumbing down my posts.

It's simple. I think Hustle and Flow tried to make being a pimp and oppressing women look cool. Miss Bassie thinks that viewers can see the film and come to the conclusion that despite the fact the hero was a pimp who oppressed women, it's actually not cool to be a misogynistic pimp . I think the average[/b] viewer from the United States will not see it that way. Miss Bassie thinks that if all films were dumbed-down, we would not have any art films. I agree, but in this conversation I think her point is moot, as Hustle and Flow was meant to be shown in mainstream theaters all over the country. She thinks it is an art film. I disagree with her.

you seem to know a lot about what I think for someone who doesn't bother to read what I've written. I have not even said anything about art films!

Where did I say I thought H&F was an art film??

I cannot really answer to a lot of what you are claiming as it is so removed from what I'm actually saying.

You first claimed that film-goers would be able to view these sexist stereotypes and know to learn from them, rather than emulate them[/b]. Then you claimed it wasn't the director's concern how the film-going public viewed the film.

when did I claim that? up to this point I have given my opinion of the film, not on how others should live their lives, much less after a film.

please go back and read a little more carefully - I replied to your comment on the critical thinking skills of an audience and whether writers/directors should work on the assumption that the audience lacks those skills. I never said that s/he shouldn't be concerned about how a film is viewed at all.

I didn't intend to put words in your mouth, I just wanted to simplify things for deej, as he's so easily confused.

I get what you're saying about the film's themes being open to interpretation, but I still think the director intended for it to look cool to be a man who bosses around and whores out women.

I replied to your comment on the critical thinking skills of an audience and whether writers/directors should work on the assumption that the audience lacks those skills. I never said that s/he shouldn't be concerned about how a film is viewed at all.

And I never said anything about the director's assumptions about the audience.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

BSM just shows a really psychologically and emotionally messed up women that can only be helped by man who has to enslave her and "give her a good talking to"...women are treated like shit and black men, from ALL backgrounds can only achieve their goals and make their point by domineering, having "fuck you" attitudes and resorting to intimidation and force to get what they want. I find Craig Brewer's storytelling really fucking insulting. He just perpetuates played out myths about the south.

Have you even seen the movie?

watched about half of a booted screener copy.....turned the shit off half-way through because it was fucking ridiculous. So, no, I havent seen all of it...so I might have missed the feminist uprising at the end of the flick

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I agree, but in this conversation I think her point is moot, as Hustle and Flow was meant to be shown in mainstream theaters all over the country.

This is incorrect. The Music director for the film shops at the store and he had no idea it was going to be as big as it was. It was purely an indie film initially. Just sayin.

PS> I have yet to see this or BSM but I am also not in a big rush to see either.

... Nevermind. This thread should be done now.

... Nevermind. This thread should be done now.

Watch me put this thread out of its' misery:

• Craig Brewer is a fucking misogynist hack of a director...all of his movies are filled with women-hating shitheads...he celebrates piece of shit pimps and men who for some reason obviously know better than every woman in the film. Fuck Craig Brewer.

Exactly.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    This movie looks dumber than dog shit.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    This movie looks dumber than dog shit.

Black Snake Moan - it's not terrible. It suffers greatly from 'trailer spoilage'. If you've seen the trailer.. and if you've been in a theater in the last 6 months you have seen it three times, then you've seen 75% of the movie. Unfortunately, you've seen the best parts of the movie. What comes after that part seems tacked on and a bit weird and without direction. The basic premise of the movie seems somewhat far fetched and not realistic where it needs to be - Ricci's nymphomania is just too scripted to be believable. And while she looks hot, it's still somehow not sexy as it should be because you still know it's still Christina Ricci, the pasty white girl from beatlejuice. The movie succeeds in capturing the elements of the deep South.. the sounds.. the accents.. the pace of life. There is a lot of great film-making throughout like the sound of the chain dragging and dropping and the radiator clanging like a bell when the chain is pulled.. or the lightening blues scene which is pretty cool and the intercutting of the Son House footage. Back to the bad... the movie comes on strong like you are really in for a sensational grindhouse affair but by the end it goes totally soft batch.. yet it also fails to really say much there either.. so it fails as exploitation and as a film trying to say something more profound. Even where it fails though it's still a fairly original story/vision - 2.5 *'s

And BTW, seems like it would be hard to make a movie about a pimp and not be called misogynist wouldn't it? Unless you went and made a really bad pimp movie.

Ricci's nymphomania is just too scripted to be believable. And while she looks hot, it's still somehow not sexy as it should be because you still know it's still Christina Ricci, the pasty white girl from beatlejuice and Buffalo 66, and just about every other flick she's been in....let's face it folks, she doesn't have a lot of range...like Thora Birch from Ghost World, she appears to be playing the same role every time out.[/b]

_________________________________________________________________________________

the movie comes on strong like you are really in for a sensational grindhouse affair but by the end it goes totally soft batch..

I never saw the trailers, I originally had the soundtrack CD to go by, which has these images of Ricci in a tank top and shorts with that dazed expression she always wears...along with Jackson looking angry and horny. I figured it was gonna be a big ole cheesefest just from peeping that cover, and after seeing the movie, looks like my assessment was spot-on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts