moviestrut: Black Snake Moan

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Samuel L Jackson with the blues guitar, and Ricci plays an excellent crazy white trash trailer nympho.Scene where Jackson busts out the electric and slide in the lightning is some intense shit.

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    he chains her up so she can't run away and fuck lots of dudes
    amazing storyline

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Neo-Exploitation?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    ?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Craig Brewer is a fucking misogynist hack of a director...all of his movies are filled with women-hating shitheads...he celebrates piece of shit pimps and men who for some reason obviously know better than every woman in the film. Fuck Craig Brewer.

• Craig Brewer is a fucking misogynist hack of a director...all of his movies are filled with women-hating shitheads...he celebrates piece of shit pimps and men who for some reason obviously know better than every woman in the film. Fuck Craig Brewer.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I don't get it with this flick either...I can tell this is one of those flicks where we're supposed to ponder the Significance and the Symbolism, but I ain't buyin' it for a minute. And Samuel L. Jackson is a pretty fair bluesman (although he lays on the cuss words a little too thick in one song, like he's trying too hard to fill every blues stereotype); he's not R.L. Burnside reincarnated, but he ain't Ralph Macchio revisited either, thank God.

You oughta go see Lyrics & Music. You can tell that Hugh Grant has been to the abyss and back just messin' with them midnight hoes (and I do not mean garden tools).

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    This movie looks dumber than dog shit.

Craig Brewer is a fucking misogynist hack of a director...all of his movies are filled with women-hating shitheads...he celebrates piece of shit pimps and men who for some reason obviously know better than every woman in the film. Fuck Craig Brewer.

no, I just dont celebrate bullshit movie making, thats all. Craig Brewer is a misogynist (and a bit of a racist), anyone who cant see that through the last two movies is missing the forest for the trees.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the message seems super-conservative!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

no, I just dont celebrate bullshit movie making, thats all. Craig Brewer is a misogynist (and a bit of a racist), anyone who cant see that through the last two movies is missing the forest for the trees.

I'm not sure what films you're referring to, but this movie definitely doesn't fit with the description you gave.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I guess that includes me.

I only have H&F to go by, but I thought none of the women came out worse than any of the men. Terrence Howard's main girl could be percieved as just as much as hero as him by the end. The pimp/whore relationship wasn't the only male/female relationship in the movie and I thought everyone relied on and fed off everyone else. Howard's character was put into context pretty nicely when he came face to face with the Luda character. His 'might' only extends so far and that's not very far at all.

To be honest, I found H&F much less annoying than all these BS romance movies where women's whole happiness and self-worth depends on whether or not she has a man and/or gets married.

A movie with misogynist men doesn't automatically make the female characters insubstantial.

I'm just disappointed that there's yet another movie with S L Jackson in it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

YouTube is blocked at my work - what is this?

I guess that includes me.

I only have H&F to go by, but I thought none of the women came out worse than any of the men. Terrence Howard's main girl could be percieved as just as much as hero as him by the end. The pimp/whore relationship wasn't the only male/female relationship in the movie and I thought everyone relied on and fed off everyone else. Howard's character was put into context pretty nicely when he came face to face with the Luda character. His 'might' only extends so far and that's not very far at all.

To be honest, I found H&F much less annoying than all these BS romance movies where women's whole happiness and self-worth depends on whether or not she has a man and/or gets married.

A movie with misogynist men doesn't automatically make the female characters insubstantial.

I'm just disappointed that there's yet another movie with S L Jackson in it.

what about the fact in H&F the only thing that is holding back the males are the females "who dont and cant possibly understand" the men's dreams...therefore the pimp has to throw out the female so she doesnt get in his way, the church dude has to dominate and tell is woman to get out of his way so he can achieve his hip hop dream...the whole movie's "go after what you want" theme is just basically based on "get the goddamn women out of your way, they just mess everything up".

BSM just shows a really psychologically and emotionally messed up women that can only be helped by man who has to enslave her and "give her a good talking to"...women are treated like shit and black men, from ALL backgrounds can only achieve their goals and make their point by domineering, having "fuck you" attitudes and resorting to intimidation and force to get what they want. I find Craig Brewer's storytelling really fucking insulting. He just perpetuates played out myths about the south.

what about the fact in H&F the only thing that is holding back the males are the females "who dont and cant possibly understand" the men's dreams...therefore the pimp has to throw out the female so she doesnt get in his way, the church dude has to dominate and tell is woman to get out of his way so he can achieve his hip hop dream...the whole movie's "go after what you want" theme is just basically based on "get the goddamn women out of your way, they just mess everything up".

The men may say that, but for the viewer, I think it is clear that is not the case. I mean, the main characters are all caught in a pretty grim cycle (relative to their aspirations). I would also say for those two men, the women remind them of what they are as opposed to what they want to be and that's why they lashed out. By the end, it's obvious that they need the women to achieve their dreams.

I know I'm potentially opening a huge can of worms here, but I think one of the most misogynist movies I've seen is Fight Club because it totally blocks women out of the picture as if they have no worth or value in the 'struggle' (the movie's one woman, Helena Bonham Carter, fulfills the age-old stereotype being crazy, non-trustworthy, but still good enough to f**k). The kind of oppression the movie speaks about is not exclusive to men and the idea of a movement/revolution against consumerism, single-parenthood, etc. that discludes half the world's population is ridiculous to me.

(I know I'm defending H&F as if I'm a big fan, but I'm actually not!)

BSM just shows a really psychologically and emotionally messed up women that can only be helped by man who has to enslave her and "give her a good talking to"...women are treated like shit and black men, from ALL backgrounds can only achieve their goals and make their point by domineering, having "fuck you" attitudes and resorting to intimidation and force to get what they want. I find Craig Brewer's storytelling really fucking insulting. He just perpetuates played out myths about the south.

None of the characters in this flick - not a one - were particularly likable.

That goes for the very last extra in the very last crowd scene.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    So, what's the verdict? Worth checking out in theater?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I know I'm potentially opening a huge can of worms here, but I think one of the most misogynist movies I've seen is Fight Club because it totally blocks women out of the picture as if they have no worth or value in the 'struggle' (the movie's one woman, Helena Bonham Carter, fulfills the age-old stereotype being crazy, non-trustworthy, but still good enough to f**k). The kind of oppression the movie speaks about is not exclusive to men and the idea of a movement/revolution against consumerism, single-parenthood, etc. that discludes half the world's population is ridiculous to me.

Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt HBCarter's character his inspiration or was she a figment as well? Or was he already "out there" before meeting her?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

The men may say that, but for the viewer, I think it is clear that is not the case. I mean, the main characters are all caught in a pretty grim cycle (relative to their aspirations). I would also say for those two men, the women remind them of what they are as opposed to what they want to be and that's why they lashed out. By the end, it's obvious that they need the women to achieve their dreams.

I think you're putting too much faith in the critical thinking abilities of the average American film-goer. I'm with hookup on this one, meaning I took H&F to be about the glorification and vindication of the pimp, as opposed to an accurate portrait of the lifestyle, designed to highlight various character and societal flaws.

Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt HBCarter's character his inspiration or was she a figment as well? Or was he already "out there" before meeting her?

It's not really a right or wrong thing. I think it can be read in a lot of different ways...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I think you're putting too much faith in the critical thinking abilities of the average American film-goer. I'm with hookup on this one, meaning I took H&F to be about the glorification and vindication of the pimp, as opposed to an accurate portrait of the lifestyle, designed to highlight various character and societal flaws.

yeah I think the "take away" from this movie for the average American viewer was: struggling pimp = hero of the movie; women = good for backing vocals.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Have you even seen the movie?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    YouTube is blocked at my work - what is this?

Just some clips of the movie that paint a little clearer picture of the movie's tone than the previews did.

putting too much faith in the critical thinking abilities of the average American film-goer.

I'd hate to think that this is a major consideration for writers, directors, etc. - it would be theatres full of Deuce Bigelow and Because I Said So.

putting too much faith in the critical thinking abilities of the average American film-goer.

I'd hate to think that this is a major consideration for writers, directors, etc. - it would be theatres full of Deuce Bigelow and Because I Said So.

I would put Hustle and Flow on about the same level as Deuce Bigelow. Now I think you're putting too much faith in the artistic intentions of the director.

I would put Hustle and Flow on about the same level as Deuce Bigelow. Now I think you're putting too much faith in the artistic intentions of the director.

His intentions? Despite what I think of the movie (which isn't too much), yes I do think he intended to make an artistic movie...whatever that means!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    that speech about 'maynekind'( or is it 'mangkind'?) in the beginning was hilarious.

I think the dude thought he was making something deep.

that speech about 'maynekind'( or is it 'mangkind'?) in the beginning was hilarious.

Who, that B&W clip of bluesman Son House philosophizing at the start of BSM?

He was probably drunk (there's a priceless clip of Howlin' Wolf berating him from the stage for being that way in the Wolf documentary).

His intentions? Despite what I think of the movie (which isn't too much), yes I do think he intended to make an artistic movie...whatever that means!

You first claimed that film-goers would be able to view these sexist stereotypes and know to learn from them, rather than emulate them. Then you claimed it wasn't the director's concern how the film-going public viewed the film.

I'm just saying I disagree on both counts. I think the average film-goer often can't tell the difference between something they should think about critically and something that's presented as being cool to emulate. I also suspect the director of Hustle and flow was more concerned with the latter than the former (which does not mean he had no artistic intentions at all).

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Who, that B&W clip of bluesman Son House philosophizing at the start of BSM?

He was probably drunk (there's a priceless clip of Howlin' Wolf berating him from the stage for being that way in the Wolf documentary).

I was talking about the intro of H&F where Terrence Howards pimp is philosphising in the car.

BSM looks awful, I'm not gonna pay money to see that.

---