The Host (Korean Cinema-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Who's seen this? I started watching the first 20 minutes (but I have to take my ass to bed) and shit is Seriously, Korean cinema has come up so impressively over the last 10 years (which is when I first started to catch wind). For a long time, I thought HK and Japanese film was that but it really seems me to that South Korean's cinematic quality is running things right now. Hell, even Artforum/I> made I>The Host a cover story the other month.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Spanky O Dizzle,

HK cinema has only produced a few decent movies since like 92 and modern Japanese cinema has been very boring for years now. South Korean movies are RUNNING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "The Host" is that real schitt. Seriously, the South Korean film industry is putting out the best films in the world right now. Not too many film makers are fuckin' with them. Go South Korea!

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    I think Korean films have always been underated until recently. I guess people never thought that good films would come out of Korea with Japan and HK blasting out bangers non stop. I remember seeing mad old korean movies and loving them, I guess they have really stepped up their game.
    I read an article about The Host and how they were saying that the under lying message in the movie is about the USA's involvement in Korea, with the Army bases, the border etc. I haven't seen the movie yet but the article made a lot of sense and the Koreans have really taken a liking to the movie.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

And not only Films, Korean hip-hop is killin it as well no joke!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    The Host was a dope film. Not sure if i understood all the under lying themes running through it although the anti US sentiment about their bases in korea is a pretty obvious one. At times i felt like a lot was lost in transalation but i still highly rate it. The actual creature looks amazing as well.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I don't know what ARTFORM is, but I'll sure be avoiding it if this lastest for a month as a cover story

I'm sorry, The Host isn't anything more then average. I saw it with the director in the theatre, and if he hadn't told us beforehand that he tried to make a family comedy, I would have shit all over this film. I think what upsets me the most is I'm convinced if this movie was in English, it would be laughed at in the vein of "Day After Tommorow" or other mediocre (if that) American CGI flops. The truth is The Host is getting a pass because it's Korean, and it's 'popcorn' and 'North American' enough to appeal to a general North American audience. It allows people to watch an International film without having to endure an "arthouse" flick. It's the result of Americans remaking film, and in turn the Korean directors trying to make films that can be "adapted" or "remade". South Korea was amazing country for film up until 2003 or so. Since then Korea (outside of KiDuk and a few decent moments) has been as sorry as Hong Kong cinema.

That being said, I went into The Host with very high expectations because I REALLY enjoyed Memories of Murder, and I liked Barking Dogs Never Bite. Hell, I even like Anartic Journal regardless of some of the negative reviews it got. I honestly think The Host is Bong's worst film to date, although I understand why he did it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Man, Korean films have been really great the last 5 years (Tho, it still stands that for every one good-great film, there are alot of stinkers behind them). I'm betting though that without the success of Chan-wook Park films, that the Korean industry would still be unknown outside of South Korea. But in any case, the industry has really been picking up the slack for output shortages of quality flicks from other Asian countries. While, I did really like The Host, I still found the CGI not 100% up to what it should be. Some scenes looked foolish IMO. But in anycase, it was still a pretty good flick. Not awesome, but good to just go in and enjoy

If ur looking for a place to find some more great films, maybe check out http://www.koreanfilm.org/

It's a great starting point.

Oh, and if you've never seen Tae-Guk-Gi (The Brotherhood of War), I suggest people check it out.

PS- Under no circumstances, do not watch Korean Dramas... U WILL GET HOOKED!!!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Memories of Murder, and I liked Barking Dogs Never Bite.

Really liked both of these.

Moss, have you ever seen Bong Joon-ho's Incoherence?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Moss,

ArtforUm. Not Artform. It's arguably the headiest of American art criticism magazines (I don't read it but my wife does for her work). The cover story was more on the evolution of South Korean cinema, using "The Host" as an example. Not having finished the movie, I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with your criticism of it (but it's good to have a few grains of salt going in).

I do think you raise an interesting distinction - whether South Korean cinema can/should be judged on the same criteria as American film. On one level, I understand (I think) your point that we shouldn't patronize so-called "foreign film" simply b/c it's foreign. On the flipside, I wouldn't want to judge most non-Hollywood made films using a Hollyword standard given the differences in say, budget, as well as narrative traditions.

But dude, you just bummed me out by saying SK film has fallen off since 2003!

Now it's gotta be all about, uh, Tongan cinema!

I don't know what ARTFORM is, but I'll sure be avoiding it if this lastest for a month as a cover story

I'm sorry, The Host isn't anything more then average. I saw it with the director in the theatre, and if he hadn't told us beforehand that he tried to make a family comedy, I would have shit all over this film. I think what upsets me the most is I'm convinced if this movie was in English, it would be laughed at in the vein of "Day After Tommorow" or other mediocre (if that) American CGI flops. The truth is The Host is getting a pass because it's Korean, and it's 'popcorn' and 'North American' enough to appeal to a general North American audience. It allows people to watch an International film without having to endure an "arthouse" flick. It's the result of Americans remaking film, and in turn the Korean directors trying to make films that can be "adapted" or "remade". South Korea was amazing country for film up until 2003 or so. Since then Korea (outside of KiDuk and a few decent moments) has been as sorry as Hong Kong cinema.

That being said, I went into The Host with very high expectations because I REALLY enjoyed Memories of Murder, and I liked Barking Dogs Never Bite. Hell, I even like Anartic Journal regardless of some of the negative reviews it got. I honestly think The Host is Bong's worst film to date, although I understand why he did it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I have to co-sign what Chan said above. South Korea is killing it on the film front. I saw The Host a couple months back & have watched it again since. I think the monster was designed by a FX company in the bay. Great movie. I'll also recommend "City Of Violence". Quite excellent. And for something a little more cerebral, check out "The King & The Clown". Some heavy ish about gender roles & sexuality. Judging from the cover, I thought it was going to be a standard Wuxia flix, a la "Crouching Tiger". Imagine my surprise!

peace

h

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Memories of Murder

Creepy and brilliant.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I just watched City of Violence (aka Jjakpae) last night and was pretty impressed. It's a decent, though often predictable, action/martial arts flick with some clever homages, including one to The Warriors:

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Memories of Murder

Creepy and brilliant.

And, at times, extremely funny.

Speaking of South Korean cinema, has anyone seen the adaption of Les Liaisons dangereuses called Untold Scandal? It's right up there as possibly the best adaption of the story I've ever seen.

I've also started checking out the work of Ki-duk Kim as well though haven't seen enough of his films to decide how much is going on there.

Skipping past Chan-wook Park who we've all discussed to death, I haven't been that taken by most Ji-woon Kim's work so far but I did think A Bittersweet Life was an excellent gangster/revenge film. As you can tell, I get most of my exposure from good old Tartan Asia Extreme.

Um, apart from that, really really looking forward to the Host.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    I just watched City of Violence (aka Jjakpae) last night and was pretty impressed. It's a decent, though often predictable, action/martial arts flick with some clever homages, including one to The Warriors:

The B-Boy fight scene was dope! Next level shit.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

where could a person rent/cop a coppy of this flick?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    O,

How can you see The Host? I just saw an ad for it on the AZN cable station last night and it was in English of all things, but it was just the trailer so I couldn't figure out whether it was going to be shown on that station, whether it was going to get some kind of U.S. release (hence the English dub), or whether it was available on DVD because they gave no explanation after the trailer. It just ended.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    O,

How can you see The Host?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    O,

How can you see The Host? I just saw an ad for it on the AZN cable station last night and it was in English of all things, but it was just the trailer so I couldn't figure out whether it was going to be shown on that station, whether it was going to get some kind of U.S. release (hence the English dub), or whether it was available on DVD because they gave no explanation after the trailer. It just ended.

Its been available on dvd in chinatown since christmas.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Hi,

I have to co-sign what Chan said above. South Korea is killing it on the film front. I saw The Host a couple months back & have watched it again since. I think the monster was designed by a FX company in the bay. Great movie. I'll also recommend "City Of Violence". Quite excellent. And for something a little more cerebral, check out "The King & The Clown". Some heavy ish about gender roles & sexuality. Judging from the cover, I thought it was going to be a standard Wuxia flix, a la "Crouching Tiger". Imagine my surprise!

peace

h

The monster was done by the people behind the fx in Lord of the Rings. I have nothing against "South Korea" as a whole. I've supported them big time. I'm not kidding, I have seen TONS of South Korean films, and I'm actually trying to license one from 2002 at this very moment. I seriously watched 70-80% of the Korean arthouse and theatrical releases for 2003 and 2004. Unfortunatly IMO since 2003 South Korean film hasn't been as original as it was 2000-2003. It's really odd, because for the most part if you look at South Korea the "odd years" have the better overall years. 2001, 2003, 2005 etc... There are still good moments, and it's possibly I just overloaded myself with the stuff, but it's getting harder and harder for me to motivate myself to watch South Korean film. If you would have asked me in 2003 or early 2004 (which was one of the better "even year" in a while), I would have said that no country or region on this planet is seeing South Korea.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Moss,

ArtforUm. Not Artform. It's arguably the headiest of American art criticism magazines (I don't read it but my wife does for her work). The cover story was more on the evolution of South Korean cinema, using "The Host" as an example. Not having finished the movie, I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with your criticism of it (but it's good to have a few grains of salt going in).

I do think you raise an interesting distinction - whether South Korean cinema can/should be judged on the same criteria as American film. On one level, I understand (I think) your point that we shouldn't patronize so-called "foreign film" simply b/c it's foreign. On the flipside, I wouldn't want to judge most non-Hollywood made films using a Hollyword standard given the differences in say, budget, as well as narrative traditions.

But dude, you just bummed me out by saying SK film has fallen off since 2003!

Now it's gotta be all about, uh, Tongan cinema!

I could be wrong, but I just find some very average films getting praise and it's the only thing I can chalk it up to. People will do everything in their power to dismiss a "REMAKE" in hollywood for example, yet when Miike remade "Yokai War" and I asked why he got a "pass", everyone destroyed me without giving me a valid response outside of the fact I was a "troll" (whatever that is), a "hater" or some type of idiot!? I liked Yokai, I just wanted to know why he was allowed to remake Yokai, yet the US wasn't allowed to remake Wicker Man!?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Memories of Murder, and I liked Barking Dogs Never Bite.

Really liked both of these.

Moss, have you ever seen Bong Joon-ho's Incoherence?

No, do you have it?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    "Yokai War"

I haven't seen this, but its available where I'm at. I think I might give it a peep. It looks like '07 could be the year of the remake in HK, with The New Valiant Ones coming out & some SB remakes on the horison.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354668/

Thought I'd bump this thread as I sawthis film last night and it blew my tiny mind. Took me a while to get round to watching it as the front cover seemed to indicate that it was going to be a wacky comedy rather than the mixture of horror, thriller, slapstick and sci fi it turned out to be.

Noticed the film flopped in Korea on release and the debut writer/director hasn't made anything since which is gutting to say the least as thsi was one of the best and most original films I've seen in quite a while.

Anyone else seen this yet? If not, can't recommend it highly enough.

• I just watched City of Violence (aka Jjakpae) last night and was pretty impressed. It's a decent, though often predictable, action/martial arts flick with some clever homages, including one to The Warriors:

where could a person rent/cop a coppy of this flick?

city of violence is out on dvd now, official dragon dynasty, the same company who rereleased hard boiled on dvd.

i got to say it was pretty cool. some comparisons can be made to kill bill too.

• Who's seen this? I started watching the first 20 minutes (but I have to take my ass to bed) and shit is

I'm no expert on Korean movies. I remember being amazed by oldboy though!

I watched this host thing a month ago or so and to be honest...
    It was almost as crappy as the new fantastic four joint to me.
    I liked the intro with the doctor and everything slowly brewing up. But the story and the entire chasing thing

anyhow to each his own.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    O,

How can you see The Host?

alt.bin...oh wait, shhhh

your tutorial changed my life by the way.

That said, I saw The Host and thought it was so so, not mindblowing, I agree that if it had been a US release it would have been shit all over. My favorite of the Korean movies I've seen so far I think has been Bichunmoo although sadly that's probably because it was modeled after HK films, I think the whole movie was shot in China.

Another one I dig a LOT is Musa.

• http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354668/

Anyone else seen this yet? If not, can't recommend it highly enough.

Hell yeah. I think maybe the reason it didn't do so well is because it's kinda like Blue Collar with Richard Pryor and Keitel: folls thought it was gonna be pure comedy, but instead, it's downbeat and decidedly bleak.

I think that Korean pop cinema is still the jam. I ride for:
    Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
    Fighter In the Wind
    A Bittersweet Life
    The President's Last Bang
    The Isle
    The Foul King
    Attack The Gas Station
    Joint Security Area
    Shiri
    R-Point
    Volcano High
    The Resurrection of The Little Match Girl

Not perfect flicks, but cool nonetheless.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    My favorite of the Korean movies I've seen so far I think has been Bichunmoo although sadly that's probably because it was modeled after HK films, I think the whole movie was shot in China.

Was that the romantic period-piece about a swordsman? I've been avoiding that one because it looks kind of cheesy. I didn't even realize it was Korean. My friend gave me a bootleg he bought in China, so all the text is in Chinese. I'll check it out on your recommendation, though.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    My favorite of the Korean movies I've seen so far I think has been Bichunmoo although sadly that's probably because it was modeled after HK films, I think the whole movie was shot in China.

Was that the romantic period-piece about a swordsman? I've been avoiding that one because it looks kind of cheesy. I didn't even realize it was Korean. My friend gave me a bootleg he bought in China, so all the text is in Chinese. I'll check it out on your recommendation, though.

I actually meant that one the other way around, my fave is Musa, but I really dug Bichunmoo. But yeah Bichunmoo was modeled after HK period swordplay pieces.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the host was campy silly shit but fun
    what did you expect from a sea serpent monster flick?

no one riding for OLD BOY?

I enjoy Korean cinema to the utmost
    at this point almost anything outside of 95% of all new Hollywood releases will be at a minimum -entertaining

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    North Koreans stand up!