mac media center - F an Apple TV

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody do this? I don't have a DVD player, I just use my MacBook hooked to my flat screen to watch movies. I'm gonna rip all my DVD's to my computer so I can watch them all in Front Row. I figure that will keep my DVD's in good shape and I won't have to fumble around with them. I'm using MacTheRipper to extract the files and MediaFork to convert to mp4.Seems to work find but if anyone has a better method I'd love to know.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Handbrake rips and converts DVDs to .mp4s in one step.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    have you looked at mp4 on tv? compression might be visibly annoying.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    It didn't look too bad the few times I've done it. I had it on the lowest setting, too.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    have you looked at mp4 on tv? compression might be visibly annoying.

I used real high settings. I just tested it out w/ the Sun Ra movie on my 32" LCD via mini dvi to vga and it looks real nice. I converted a skate video as well. Looked nice.

I'll try handbreak. It was down the page from mediafork but I didn't even see it.

I wasn't sure how I was going to use front row since it reads from the system drive, user movie folder but I'm storing the movies on an external disk. I figured out that I had to make an alias of the folder on the external and place it in my user movie folder. Works like a charm.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Handbrake rips and converts DVDs to .mp4s in one step.

Does it keep them anamorphic? I'd like to skip the step of burning DVDRs to watch stuff but it always ends up non-anamorphic unless I burn a DVDr.