Sade Blends APPRECIATION

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
5 songs in and it's already my favorite mix in a minute. Cool concept & great execution. Go cop it... Might be worth it's own remix EP even.

Comments

• the_jthe_j 49 Posts
    This one slipped under my radar. Going to cop straight away. Paul Nice has been on top of the mixtape game in my opinion for the last while.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Her forehead looks even more enormous in that drawing...but yeah, I heard the one with "Touch it" a while ago, really good...where to cop this? Paul Nice is nice with his....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Oh Shit, I remember Paul talking about maybe doing this. He posted one mix. I need to get this! STAT

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I NEED THIS NOW!!!!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Dayumm !!!!!
    Haven't heard it yet
    Will cop fo' shu'

BDK blend was too obvious ?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Im excited!

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    After five or so repeated listens I think this definitely merits it's own remix EP. I
    would pay for some unmixed 320's even.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Thanks peoples!

It should be available at Turntable Lab, Fat Beats and wherever fine fur is sold.

And props to the homegirl Riisa who did the ill ass cover drawing.
    She is no joke.

Her forehead looks even more enormous in that drawing...

One of my favorite Biz stories has to do with him meeting Sade backstage in the late 80's / early 90's at some stadium rap concert in Canada I think.
    Biz asks Sade if she would possibly consider doing a collabo with him (can you imagine?).
    She politely declines.
    So Biz then says to Sade: "There's something I ALWAYS wanted to do... can I do it?"
    Apparently Sade, probably a bit puzzled, starts to ask what Biz had in mind when all of the sudden, Biz takes his big ass hand and proceeds to "PALM the shit out of Sade's big ass forehead" (his exact words).
    After about a half a dozen or so quick shakes with his hand, Biz lets go of Sade's head and says, "thank you Sade. I've always wanted to do that."

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    Im excited!

i heard a track or two on his myspace

sounds sick!

the one with the Drop It Like Its Hott blend

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hah i think i had a dream about something like this existing.

Eureka!!

It works!!!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Excuse my ignorance, but is this a mix of some sade songs? I'm curious 'cause my friend is a big sade fan and would be down with this.

paulnice will remain the only strutter whose vinyl I found in a dollar bin all the way up here in alberta, canada.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    btw paul nice loving soul on the grill 2 and who are level 82 and why do they sound like AR Kane?
    someone pointed this out to me and i was all 'whoa'

who are level 82 and why do they sound like AR Kane?

?

There's "I Level", whose song "Give Me" is on Soul On The Grill 2.

...and then of course there's "Level 42[/b]" who have a super dope-as-fuck song called "Starchild" which is my motherf##king SHIT!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    haah oops i meant i level and conflated it w/ level 42 and then doubled it and subtracted two.

yes yes i-level sounds like AR Kane

Excuse my ignorance, but is this a mix of some sade songs?

It's a mix of me blending Sade songs with instrumental beats, which has actually been something of a DJ tradition for many, many years around these parts*.
    Most of the instrumentals are contemporary joints ala Clipse, Timbo, E-40, Dre, etc.
    I also redid some blends I had done in the late 80's when the Stronger Than Pride and Promise albums were out; like EPMD's "Customer" over "War of the Hearts" and "Sucker MC's" over "Never As Good As The First Time".
    Obvious? Most definitely, but the whole idea of this came from me listening to some old 80's tapes I did that a friend recently dug up. I heard one Sade blend I did which I thought still sounded good.
    Why not do it over again but expand it to a whole mix?
    In that regard it's a link to the local past.
    Honestly, I think I'll move way more of these locally in the mid hudson valley than anywhere else.
    It's the one specific kind of mix everyone I know around here has always been asking me for.

paulnice will remain the only strutter whose vinyl I found in a dollar bin all the way up here in alberta, canada.

Not sure if that's good or bad!

*This is actually kind of funny, but there's been a lot of bitter, angry, old locals who swear up and down that "blending"; ie: mixing R&B records with hip hop instrumentals actually originated up here in the Hudson River Valley (Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, Beacon, etc.) with DJs like Kid Nice (an early Bam protege), Ernie Vines, Eddie On, etc. and NOT in Harlem with Ron G and Brucie B and them. But that's a whole other post.

I even did a tape with Ron G in the early 90's (Chan - I need you to burn me a copy before you lose it) and I remember when certain people up here pressed him on the issue, he didn't have much to say.
    But when a local DJ (who shall remain nameless) spun in the basement w/Tigger on BET a couple years back tried to set the record straight on national tv, Tigg just shot him a look like, "What the FUCK are you talking about?!" before going to commercial.

I have a white label/random rap 12" that has Just Be Good To Me/SOS Band acapella w/ Bite It/UTFO. Its just mixing. Predating The Blendtape phenomenon.

I have a white label/random rap 12" that has Just Be Good To Me/SOS Band acapella w/ Bite It/UTFO. Its just mixing. Predating The Blendtape phenomenon.

Ahhh... but I got a cassette here by the late local legend DJ Blade from '82/'83 - my 8th grade year, blending Michael Jackson with Jimmy Spicer, Stacy Lattislaw with Masterdon and Keni Burke with Kid Nice (local rap record).

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "PALM the shit out of Sade's big ass forehead"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    "PALM the shit out of Sade's big ass forehead"

i would have tried to palm something else if i was the biz. i guess he never saw the cover of her live album.

i would have tried to palm something else if i was the biz. i guess he never saw the cover of her live album.

Somewhere there's a picture of my friend fast asleep on his couch and in the arms of a lifesize, cardboard promotional version of Ms. Adu.
    He looks like the happiest man in the world.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    [Somewhere there's a picture of my friend fast asleep on his couch and in the arms of a lifesize, cardboard promotional version of Ms. Adu.
    He looks like the happiest man in the world.

IT WAS SOLD OUT @ FAT BEATS!!!!!!!

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    I also redid some blends I had done in the late 80's when the Stronger Than Pride and Promise albums were out; like EPMD's "Customer" over "War of the Hearts" and "Sucker MC's" over "Never As Good As The First Time".

Did that ever make it onto vinyl back then ?
    In the early nineties Straight No Chaser Once mentioned a white label of "Sade mixed over Hip Hop Beats" in their one-sentence-per-record review section. I've had that on my wants-list ever since, but almost all that's come up in the last 15 years has been Sade Over House Beats.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yeah they're this new thing called "mash-ups."

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Yeah they're this new thing called "mash-ups."

I need to cop this asap!

Did that ever make it onto vinyl back then ?
    In the early nineties Straight No Chaser Once mentioned a white label of "Sade mixed over Hip Hop Beats" in their one-sentence-per-record review section. I've had that on my wants-list ever since, but almost all that's come up in the last 15 years has been Sade Over House Beats.

That wasn't me. Though my interest in now piqued as I do recall hearing someone talk about a bootleg Sade single. I wanna say it was some mix with Love Is Stronger Than Pride.