What the hell happened to Rockwell?

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I'd rather hear a jive-ass imitation of Prince than the real thing - those three Rockwell albums on Motown from the '80s are guilty pleasure gold, baby! Of course you might remember his two hits, "Somebody's Watching Me" and the soundalike followup, "Obscene Phone Caller"...

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'd rather hear a jive-ass imitation of Prince than the real thing - those three Rockwell albums on Motown from the '80s are guilty pleasure gold, baby! Of course you might remember his two hits, "Somebody's Watching Me" and the soundalike followup, "Obscene Phone Caller"...

Rockwell was pretty much a vanity project from Gordy's son. I'm actually kinda surprised he had 3 albums

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Maybe he wasn't just paranoid after all ...

• chrischris 287 Posts
    sounds like an episode of "porter's corner"!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    People stopped watching him.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• Yo, I'm right here.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    "Watching Me' is a fucking classic and is taken to the next level with the MJ cameo.

The video... was even iller.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    One time I mixed "Taxman" with Kool Moe Dee's "I Work". that was cool.

Also, I find it an interesting reflection on the American psyche that Somebody's Watching Me is always referred to as a good Halloween track when it has nothing to do with Halloween but with spooks of a different kind. hmmm.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Yeh, this is prolly gonna be "streaked," but I fuckin' LOVE this pic:

carry on...

SG

• All Rockwell wants is to be left alone in his average home.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The real gem on that album is "Foreign Country", if you ask me. The lyrics are so fucking bizarre. Who writes a song about the banalities of traveling to a foreign country (passports, language barriers, etc)? I guess the same dude who makes tracks about obscene phone callers, the taxman...

It's hard to tell whether being holed up in the Gordy compound makes you totally or totally