American Idol 2007 - let's get this started

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Ok, we've been quiet about this here but I think it's time to get our Idol/idle chatter on. Two quick thoughts:1) Apparently, "Feelin' Good" = kiss o' death. Someone alert Lynn Marino!2) Are all the Asian dudes getting sent home payback for Ken Eng? Saying! And Antonella. Oh, Antonella. Has Jersey ever had such grand representation?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Well, we did have one quick thread about it, when we learned that AI finalist Sundance Head is Roy Head's son...that's my main point of interest. That, and the fact that the other night Simon Cowell pronounced "charisma" as "charismer."

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Spanky, why are you watching "American Idol"? Not that my reality show habits are any better.

• MELINDA DOOLITTLE! NASHVILLE TENNESSEE IS IN THE BUILDING!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ok, we've been quiet about this here but I think it's time to get our Idol/idle chatter on.

Two quick thoughts:

1) Apparently, "Feelin' Good" = kiss o' death. Someone alert Lynn Marino!

2) Are all the Asian dudes getting sent home payback for Ken Eng? Saying!

And Antonella. Oh, Antonella. Has Jersey ever had such grand representation?

Lakisha, Melinda and Stephanie are all great. I doubt the first two have sufficiently strong personalities to make convincing pop star material, even though they both have pipes for days. We're a week or so behind in the UK, so I'm hoping Jordin steps up her song-selection game, because she sounds like she has the kind of chops that'd shine on stronger material than what she's chosen so far.

Sundance made a wrong move with that Moody Blues joint, so he needs to get back to what he does best. The bald-headed guy has a really commercial-sounding, power-ballad voice and might be a good outside bet. Sanjaya has Teen Choice Awards written all over him, and manages to avoid the vocal pyrotechnics that too often pass for good singing in this show.

I'm going with either Lakisha or Melinda - they're just too good to be overlooked. Simon Cowell ended up with egg all over his grill after the unstoppable rise of J-Hud, so I think he'll lobby hard for those two.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I'm going with either Lakisha or Melinda

yup.

Antonella is so eeeeasssy on the eyes, but talent-wise

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Sundance made a wrong move with that Moody Blues joint, so he needs to get back to what he does best.

He already did...that Moody Blues mistake was a few weeks ago, that's old now.

I didn't see it last night (at least mot all the way through), but on Tuesday's ep he sang "Mustang Sally," so he's back in the family tradition of white soul.

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    None of those white girls can sing.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    this show should be taken off the air period...

Seriously. I didn't even know it was back on air.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Antonella Barba.

I'm wondering if the sex pics are gonna hurt her at all.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Antonella Barba.

wha???

Antonella Barba.

wha???

Bunch of dirty pics of her have hit the net. Including blowjob pics.

I'm betting she gets tons of votes from alot of old dudes now.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Antonella Barba.

wha???

Bunch of dirty pics of her have hit the net. Including blowjob pics.

I'm betting she gets tons of votes from alot of old dudes now.

The official line is that the BJ pics aren't her, but there are some shots of her, near-naked, draped all over a WWII memorial, which might be considered inappropriate in the current climate.

So far, it's all very different from the treatment meted out to Frenchie Davis in Season 4.

Antonella Barba.

your kidding right?

Yeah, sorry I didn't use the sarcasm tags.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    None of those white girls can sing.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Worst season ever. Sorry to say it, but they all kinda suck.

I haven't heard all the ladies though, so...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't chastise people for NOT watching the show (I mean, c'mon) but folks, the appeal is no mystery. It's a great show on multiple levels, the least of which tends to be the actual singing on the show (though folks who have boycotted just for the sake of missed great renditions of "My Funny Valentine," "Do Right Man, Do Right Woman, and "And I'm Not Telling You."

I couldn't disagree with Day more - this has had some of THE strongest female talent I've seen since the LaToya London, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia season (#3). This could also be the first season where no white women make it to the end though I have a sneaking suspicion that Antonella might. But this is definitely the year of the brash, Black female singer.

For folks who haven't heard her - girl CANNOT sing to save her life. And she has a bad attitude. And she embodies every bad stereotype about Jersey girls you've ever heard (minus the big hair). But she's really fun to hate on for all these reasons and more.

And can I just say: Kellie Pickler's boob job is . And with the Dolly hair? Seriously

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    For folks who haven't heard her - girl CANNOT sing to save her life. And she has a bad attitude. And she embodies every bad stereotype about Jersey girls you've ever heard (minus the big hair). But she's really fun to hate on for all these reasons and more.

She's the only one who the judges when they finish w/ their comments. All the other girls take on a much humbler steeez. That blue dress was heat though. She cant sing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

So far, it's all very different from the treatment meted out to Frenchie Davis in Season 4.

The difference - if there is one - is that Frenchie appeared on a paid, soft core site whereas Barber's pics, so far, seem to be personal, candid, myspacesluts-type photos. I'm not sure, contractually, Idol has the right to kick some one off for supremely bad judgment in their personal life so long as they haven't committed any professional violations.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I couldn't disagree with Day more - this has had some of THE strongest female talent I've seen since the LaToya London, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia season (#3).

I haven't heard all the ladies though...

What I should have said was, comparing other seasons to this one, I haven't been very impressed or seen anyone stand out above the rest. Everyone has been pretty sub-par for for the most part. But again, I've really only seen the guys sing so take that for what it's worth.

The judges have been pretty cold this season too.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Doolittle's act is starting to annoy me....and she has no neck.
    Gina is wack
    Haley is good to look at ...but she cant sing for shit
    Blake has the Becky vote on lock
    Jordin has a chance to win.
    Lakisha is boring.
    Midget Chris is on some Timberlake shit.
    Fat Chris is annoying.
    Phil is weird.
    Stephanie has no identity.
    Brandon was garbage.
    Sanjaya is what i look forward to every week....i'm fascinated with this dude's hair.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what a pukeworthy performance from akon's hypeman

horrible fauxhawk off beat ''heys!'' for dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ps: akon wastes his senegales griot voice on some pop shit..new flava

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Sanjaya is what i look forward to every week....i'm fascinated with this dude's hair.

I've never watched a single AI show, but the hate mail at votefortheworst.com is mind-blowing.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Doolittle's act is starting to annoy me....and she has no neck.

she killed it tonight.. but really, its going to be blake or jordin in the final.

its going to be blake v jordin in the final.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    its going to be blake v jordin in the final.

haha. judging by your avatar, i'm guessing who your $$'s on! blake has that 80s emo punk steez locked but jordin can SING.

• Jordin Vs Melinda

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    God, I always end up seeing the very end of this show where they recap the dipshits' performances because it comes on before "House"(whoever thought to put the renegade cop aspect to a show about a junkie Dr., genius, but thats another thread)...and I am always aghast at the awful awful music people are flipping out on and cell-phoning votes in, recaps on the fucking News...this is some truly awful shit...as a music fan it is akin to a lover of baby seals watching the furry little dudes getting clubbed...it is just ...well,awful.

Lakisha or Timberlake should leave next

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    basically all the 'country' performances were straight up horrible.