Earthquake Strut

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Y'all Bay folks feel that about a minute ago?And there was another one last week....Up in this highrise I'm working in right now, shit is scary; the building hella sways....

Comments

• Holy shit! That was the longest one I've ever felt.

Foreally, though. Shit lasted like 10 seconds.

• yeah, that one lingered a bit, too...

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Yup,felt it.
    Scared my slightly stoned ass straight.
    Wish I was close to my kid.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Didn't quite make it down to the south bay, but the USGS is saying 4.3 on it's initial web report.

A light earthquake occurred at 8:40:00 PM (PST) on Thursday, March 1, 2007.
    The magnitude 4.3 event occurred 2 km (1 miles) NE of Lafayette, CA.
    The hypocentral depth is 17 km (10 miles).

• Yep, I felt that...

My expedits creeked a little too much for my liking. I need to bolt them shits to the wall!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    yeah, that one lingered a bit, too...

F'real...I had just stepped into my apartment--hadn't even finished closing the door behind me--when it hit. I immediately stood in the doorway next to the door to my apartment and watched/listened to things shake about in my apartment. That quake wasn't very big, but it was big enough to give me serious doubts about how well my building can withstand a good shake. Great.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i felt it i was sitting down at the computer. i got up and took about 2 steps toward the living room and realized that every table that i could possibly get under is mad flimsy and i would probably die either way and just looked around and came back to my chair

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    4.4 apparently, Concord was the epicenter.

I'm feeling how this is like a Bay roll call up in here.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I am but freaked myself.
    How often do you guys feel earthquakes out there?

I really want to head that way, and I have read some articles of the mayor saying "they are prepared for earthquakes"

But how are you really prepared for that?

• bay earthquakes are nuts...makes me remember back to '89...

i was in a park in SF, and it literally felt like i stepped into a hole in the ground - the shit was shaking so violently, i actually lost my footing...i look up and the trees are swinging back and forth...a minute later, folks are straight bugging, "the bay bridge fell down..."

ya'll know the rest of that story. what was that shit...a 8.9 (damn!)

• I am but freaked myself.
    How often do you guys feel earthquakes out there?

I really want to head that way, and I have read some articles of the mayor saying "they are prepared for earthquakes"

But how are you really prepared for that?

Lots of small earthquakes recently, but none that did any damage. If THE BIG ONE strikes then Gavin Newsom's bland assurances will mean very little.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Foreally, though. Shit lasted like 10 seconds.

Felt like a quick jolt to me.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    4.4 apparently, Concord was the epicenter.

Concord is always starting shit.

• Foreally, though. Shit lasted like 10 seconds.

Definately one of the longest quakes I can remember (was here for '89). Every quake is like a flashback for me. Not cool.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm having flashbacks.

LA has been too quiet for too long

• LA has been too quiet for too long

I hope all this activity just means we're avoiding the Big One in the long run.

Maybe I should have a special box of raers next to the emergency kit in case of a quick evacuation.

• autezautez 404 Posts

a few factoids about the 89 world series from wikipedia

-Out of respect for the earthquake victims, the Athletics weren't allowed to celebrate their World Series victory with champagne.

-According to Tim McCarver, when the earthquake hit, he and his broadcasting partners Al Michaels and Jim Palmer immediately grabbed a hold of what they preceived to be the armrests. In reality, the announcers were clutching on each others' thighs and they were left with bruises the next day. Years later, Al Michaels would boldly admit his strong belief that had the earthquake lasted much longer than 15 seconds, he would've gotten killed.

-Following the earthquake, ABC went with a rerun of The Wonder Years for about 15 minutes before returning.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Last one I felt was a couple of years ago. Around 9 am I was awakened by the shaking and creaking of the building. I actually yelled out loud. It stopped and I fell back asleep. Forgot all about it till a day later I remembered. I wondered if it was a dream so I looked it up on the web. Turned out that it was a pretty small one, centered at La Cienega and Sunset, about a quarter mile from me. It was just a little startler.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    So glad I don't have to deal with those things in NYC. I don't know what we have that Cali people are glad they don't, but whatever it is earthquakes have to be worse.

I don't know what we have that Cali people are glad they don't

potential future :5pager:

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    So glad I don't have to deal with those things in NYC. I don't know what we have that Cali people are glad they don't, but whatever it is earthquakes have to be worse.

It's not what you have, it's what you don't.

I keed.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My wife is in Oakland right now. She called me a lil while ago and told me how she was sitting at a red light and her rental car started shaking something serious.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    earthquakes dont really phase me

My wife is in Oakland right now. She called me a lil while ago and told me how she was sitting at a red light and her rental car started shaking something serious.

coulda been a scraper bumpin a slumper.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I was at the World Series in 1989 (Candlestick upper deck) and thought I was going to die. Then I was in Los Angeles in 1994 for that one. California is still paradise to me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

coulda been a scraper bumpin a slumper.

She thought it was AC Transit at first.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    If the big one hits I'm toast becauase I'm two blocks away from the Berkeley fault line. In fact, it might even be down my block.

• from the shake.

my lady called me while i was playin cards askin me if i felt it, but i didnt feel ish. she got shook to her eastern-bones, flippin out.and she's south of me? oh well, i missed another one.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    Lots of small earthquakes recently, but none that did any damage. If THE BIG ONE strikes then Gavin Newsom's bland assurances will mean very little.

I'd rather have lots of small ones, takes the tension off "the big one." I'm just glad noone got hurt.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I'm having flashbacks.

LA has been too quiet for too long

Totally, not much else makes you feel more alive huh? I like how the adrenaline gets pumping up and around a 4.0. All those 6er's in the early and mid 90's in L.A. seemed all to often..almost like clock work for awhile every summer always in the early mornings. We had a little shake a few months ago here in Portland...not like So. Cal though. It just quicky reminds you how small and powerless you really are all while scaring the shit out of you and giving you a good ride. They are fun until someone gets hurt or your stereo bites the dust. Most natural disasters are strange and wonderful in their own way though.