What the hell happened to Maxwell?

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Honestly. The guy drops 3 platinum albums (one 2x) in 6 years, and then disappears for 6 years completely. R. Kelly becomes an unstoppable force with his blue-suited midgets, urine, and utterly impossible lyrics.Maxwell's got this new thing called Black Summers' Night (sic), which has been slated to drop for over a year now, and is supposed to be a trilogy (one album coming each year between 2007-2009). I've never really been a fan, but his old albums used to make shit work. I don't know about this. Will the ladies still love this man like they used to? On the sound clip, he sounds disturbed. Is Maxwell the new Tom Scholz? Syd Barrett? Skip Spence? Your thoughts, please.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    One of the stories that I heard was that Maxwell is gay and on the latest album that was slated for release in the early 2000s, he pretty much was open about his sexuality and it was a major theme on the album. Fearing that Sony didn't want him to completely alienate his fan base in one fell swoop, the shelved it and put all his projects on that back burner. This is the first I'm hearing about "Black Summers' Night."

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i hope he got fat.

fat maxwell for 2007!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    And just like that, this thread comes to a screeching halt...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    One of the stories that I heard was that Maxwell is gay and on the latest album that was slated for release in the early 2000s, he pretty much was open about his sexuality and it was a major theme on the album. Fearing that Sony didn't want him to completely alienate his fan base in one fell swoop, the shelved it and put all his projects on that back burner. This is the first I'm hearing about "Black Summers' Night."
    this is the story. i think that more money would be made by releasing the album than to continue shelve everything he makes.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    this is the story. i think that more money would be made by releasing the album than to continue shelve everything he makes.

Damn, sounds like he's in the semi-retirement home with D'Angelo and Cody Chesnutt.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The alleged "gay" album, considering how many albums, advanced or otherwise, leak in some form, NOTHING surfaced from this project.

Was it actually a "gay" album, or him coming out? Depending on what you read, but most likely it wasn't. He apparently wanted to try something unique, along the lines of Prince. One report indicated that Maxwell had already submitted the masters to Columbia, and people at the label were iffy, uncertain if something with "this hot topic" would work, especially for an artist who has always had a huge female following.

Allegedly, Columbia passed on the project, but Maxwell was adamant about getting it out. That never happened, and Columbia allegedly told him to come up with another project. They never gave him an ultimatum, but then again the story never tried established itself.

Was the tactic done by Maxwell? Was it a publicity stunt made up by Columbia in order to keep interest for an artist who hadn't released new music in awhile? Either way, it backfired, and the sad thing is that Maxwell has waited another two years to come up with something that was meant to replace the "gay" album. At this point, I don't think fans will care if the new album is about a lust for MILF robots, they just want something new. I think once the album drops, in whatever form, with whatever theme, he will continue to answer the questions about why the huge gap between albums. In soul music, one extra year out of the spotlight means you're one step closer to being on a cruise ship tour with Kenny Latimore, and you'll be on Shanachie releasing your music as "jazz".

Let's hope Columbia gives the album the proper push it hopefully deserves, and not give him the Wendy & Lisa treatment.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Damn, sounds like he's in the semi-retirement home with D'Angelo and Cody Chesnutt.

Depending on whom your ask, it might actually be spelled ChesnuTT. True story. Or maybe the "graphic designer" of The Headphone Masterpiece had something to do with that. One of the least competant final products ever.

On topic, though: If the rumor is true (are those mens' or womens' hands on Maxwell's be-moistened chest?), then this is really interesting: Instead of promoting a major artist on their roster, Sony simulatneously gets a case of homophobia and fails to find a way to spin it in order to market a known commodity. Ridiculous. Granted, I don't believe in stuff like this unless it bears itself out to be true - name a rapper in the last 15 years that hasn't been accused of being gay - but Maxwell's market is the ladies. If Joe Rapper came out of the closet, his career would be over. But Maxwell? Probably not - Luther wasn't singing about other men, but folks knew. Maxwell'd probably have to lyrically hide his light under a bushel a bit, but he'd survive perfectly well. I'm just a tad boggled at the total lack of promotion on Sony's part for this album/albums.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Depending on whom your ask, it might actually be spelled ChesnuTT.

I believe this has been covered already. Those familiar with his music may refer to him as 'nuTT.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The alleged "gay" album, considering how many albums, advanced or otherwise, leak in some form, NOTHING surfaced from this project.

Was it actually a "gay" album, or him coming out? Depending on what you read, but most likely it wasn't. He apparently wanted to try something unique, along the lines of Prince. One report indicated that Maxwell had already submitted the masters to Columbia, and people at the label were iffy, uncertain if something with "this hot topic" would work, especially for an artist who has always had a huge female following.

Allegedly, Columbia passed on the project, but Maxwell was adamant about getting it out. That never happened, and Columbia allegedly told him to come up with another project. They never gave him an ultimatum, but then again the story never tried established itself.

Was the tactic done by Maxwell? Was it a publicity stunt made up by Columbia in order to keep interest for an artist who hadn't released new music in awhile? Either way, it backfired, and the sad thing is that Maxwell has waited another two years to come up with something that was meant to replace the "gay" album. At this point, I don't think fans will care if the new album is about a lust for MILF robots, they just want something new. I think once the album drops, in whatever form, with whatever theme, he will continue to answer the questions about why the huge gap between albums. In soul music, one extra year out of the spotlight means you're one step closer to being on a cruise ship tour with Kenny Latimore, and you'll be on Shanachie releasing your music as "jazz".

Let's hope Columbia gives the album the proper push it hopefully deserves, and not give him the Wendy & Lisa treatment.

Ouch, but true. I don't think it was anywhere near a publicity stunt. There was no publicity at all - "leaked" or otherwise. Cosmo hadn't even heard about the new album, and he seems to be abreast of the real world.

The more I observe American pop culture, the more I believe that our general perception of Necessary Machismo is getting goof-tastic. Between the extremes of over-wrought PC and God Hates Fags are real people that hardly ever get talked about as people. Rappers like Busta Rhymes treat homosexuality as if it's on par with child sacrifice or bestiality. They're fucking speechless for the first time in their public lives. Who's wearing the Santorum mask now? I mean, rap music sets daily standards in unintentional homoerotica - 50's album covers seem like they're better suited for promoting laser hair removal or black stud pron. But pure comedy arises when grown, straight men who cannot have an album without violent metaphor writ large and value their cred more than life itself just freeze up when it comes to discussing homosexuality. It's undeniable.

• He apparently wanted to try something unique, along the lines of Prince.

He apparently wanted to try something unique, along the lines of Prince.

He apparently wanted to try something unique, along the lines of Prince.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    you'll be on Shanachie releasing your music as "jazz".

that made me spit out my coffee.

...and that's the funny part...any white rocker who was in the closet would probably flaunt it openly on their next record, and their audience would probably stay the same as before (if not get bigger). But Maxwell is working for a far more conservative crowd, and if he let the world know about his sexual orientation, he's definitely gonna wind up recording for Koch like Oleta Adams and all them other has-beens...he can drop hints like Luther (no last name needed, ya'll know I'm not talking about Ingram or Allison), but he can't be up front about it like the Indigo Girls...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    if he let the world know about his sexual orientation, he's definitely gonna wind up recording for Koch like Oleta Adams and all them other has-beens...

Hey Pickwick,

Oleta Adams is a lesbian? I have a Gospel album of hers from about '97 or '98. Wow, that's crazy!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ..but are homosexual love songs going to be the next big hitters on your local commercial radio stations? even here in san francisco, where gay men are complaining that too many straight people are moving into their neighborhood, i dont think a song about two men making love at home with candles lit and champagne still bubblin would get much play on KMEL.

might fly in some areas but even here in the bay i know dudes who are openly homophobic (or closeted depending on how you view their reactions).

its 2007 yall... get over that shit.

• ...and that's the funny part...any white rocker who was in the closet would probably flaunt it openly on their next record, and their audience would probably stay the same as before (if not get bigger).

You sound from Rob Halford's experience.

if he let the world know about his sexual orientation, he's definitely gonna wind up recording for Koch like Oleta Adams and all them other has-beens...

Hey Pickwick,

Oleta Adams is a lesbian? I have a Gospel album of hers from about '97 or '98. Wow, that's crazy!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh, no, definitely not (to my knowledge! )...I just needed some kind of symbol for a former R&B hitmaker who you don't hear as much from these days, and just like Johmbolaya mentioned Kenny Latimore, I came up with Oleta Adams on that same tip.

And as fickle as soul music can be, if Maxwell waits any longer between records he's gonna be doing the same oldies circuit as Latimore (Kenny - not Benny) and Adams...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont know if he should return. The last album wasnt all that. And there was a BIG drop in flavor once Stuart Matthewman left the fold. I saw him in concert right before that last album dropped and Maxwell killed it.
    I never heard women scream like that before, unless its my bedroom.....

Honestly. The guy drops 3 platinum albums (one 2x) in 6 years, and then disappears for 6 years completely. R. Kelly becomes an unstoppable force with his blue-suited midgets, urine, and utterly impossible lyrics.

Maxwell's got this new thing called Black Summers' Night (sic), which has been slated to drop for over a year now, and is supposed to be a trilogy (one album coming each year between 2007-2009). I've never really been a fan, but his old albums used to make shit work.

I don't know about this. Will the ladies still love this man like they used to? On the sound clip, he sounds disturbed. Is Maxwell the new Tom Scholz? Syd Barrett? Skip Spence? Your thoughts, please.

Or even worse, Al B. Sure!.

If you recall, that brother just disappeared. Most people start fading from view after the hits stop coming, or if they take too long between records, but Sure! just collected his money and split while he was on top.