What it do, Baltimore?

dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Hey strutters,I am going to be in Baltimore for a convention starting this weekend, and I'm wondering what music and cultural sites I should investigate. Naturally, if there's a good record store I'm down to visit, but my digging will probably be pretty limited because I will be very busy and staying without a car in downtown Baltimore. Are there any museums or historical locations that are not to be missed, if say, I had an afternoon off? Also, food / restaurant suggestions are welcome, I know very little about the cuisine there and I'm always up to taste an area's signature dish.thanks!

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Baghat Vinyl ?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    hit up fells point, there's few stores (the best in b'more imo) plus you're right next to the harbor, aqaurium, inner harbor shops etc..

be careful of the crackheads tho..

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    hit up fells point, there's few stores (the best in b'more imo) plus you're right next to the harbor, aqaurium, inner harbor shops etc..

be careful of the crackheads tho..

What did bubs ever do to you?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    True Vine
    Suprimo
    My Own Guru
    Normals

those are the shops worth checking. Can be great or terrible depending. All are pretty centrally located - True Vine and Normals are relatively close to each other and Suprimo/Own Guru are right around the corner from each other.

Not much flea market action to speak of.

I'll be in DC Saturday for the show there, but I'll be in Charm city tomorrow if you're around Tom. PM if you want to get together.

As far as dealers, holler at Dave (Baghat) through his site. He's got joints, and is pretty centrally-located. Carl is out of the game.

I'll be risking my life, as always, tracking something in west Baltimore trying my best not to look like a cop (never works).

I like Baltimore

Oh btw there is a museum on the east side called Great Blacks in Wax. Never been, but I've always kind of wanted to just off the title alone.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I'll be risking my life, as always, tracking something in west Baltimore trying my best not to look like a cop (never works).

Probably better to look like a cop than like some white dude with a pocket full of cash trying to buy records.

I usually look like that, too.

No worries, it's pretty much par for the course. Won't be the first time

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I'll be risking my life, as always, tracking something in west Baltimore...

I like Baltimore

carey street dimes?

if you go to own guru ask Al to see the secret stash behind the counter. tell em nigel sent you lol.

I'll be risking my life, as always, tracking something in west Baltimore...

I like Baltimore

carey street dimes?

if you go to own guru ask Al to see the secret stash behind the counter. tell em nigel sent you lol.

I know Rutberg.

I wouldn't rate Guru over True Vine though. Whole collections versus stock bought from other record shops. There's really no comparison. And they won't waste your time haggling over VG- black jazz.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Carl is out of the game.

4 REalz?Dag.

Unfortunately yes. I heard he is sick so if you know him or someone who knows him feel free to extend your best wishes.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Fuck man, sick? Sheet, that's terrible. Will do. Where is Legend anyway? RWM galore?

• The Visionary Art Museum is pretty damn cool, if you have time. If you like beer, Baltimore Brewing Co. (DeGroen's) is a good spot for local beer/grub, but may have closed down, I have not been to Balt. for ages. Brewer's Art is definitely around, excellent Belgian suds and good food. Bertha's in Fells Point for local pub/famous mussels may be worth a stop. I love Baltimore!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Probably better to look like a cop than like some white dude with a pocket full of cash trying to buy records.

Digging costumes?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Bertha's in Fells Point for local pub/famous mussels may be worth a stop.

yes! bertha's mussells w/ 6 diff. sauces + a natty boh tallboy.

JP: cosine on truevine.. last time back home they just got in a fat hiphop/latin collection.. 1st KMD LP for 6$? larry harlow ogs for 1/6 market?

BRING IT ON..

there's another spot up on roland that's a vintage clothing shop but dude always has a decent selection of psych and obscure 80s isht. sturgis antiques is the name i believe.

Yeah man them dudes got that work.

I didn't know you were from Baltimore... feel free to PM any other secrets

Other than a mega-rarity I found at Rutberg's shop last year my best score was at Patapsco market believe it or not.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Haha... people in my neighborhood used to always mistake me for a cop.

One time a guy tried to sell me a knife like, "You need this--you work construction, right?"

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Thanks for the tips, everyone.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I didn't know you were from Baltimore... feel free to PM any other secrets

haha, next time i'm back home we should connect for an eastern shore haul.. essex is what's up.

Other than a mega-rarity I found at Rutberg's shop last year my best score was at Patapsco market believe it or not.

yeah rutberg has heat. his pricing can be a bit off.. like you said, haggling for vg- black jazz is always fun. typical dialogue:

AL: you know about this one? (hands me a gene russell)
    ME: don't you know i live in dante's neighborhood?
    AL: it's got breaks on it
    ME: kinda marked up tho, i'll do 10$
    AL: but it's black jazz!

so far the heatest heat has come from suprimo (his 45 rack is untapped), the alexandria/dc fleas, or guru (got a both worlds "dontcha hide it" last time)

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I know Rutberg.

I know Rutberg.

Dude you are not up on the current mode of sherpa gear and cake box hats.

Truly next level gripper gear.