wow...

paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
5 pager in the making I love the theory on how sagging pants orinated with gay prisoners showing they were ready and available for "action".You learn something new everyday.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "Like you preachers out there, who spreading the myth
    that young boys who slack they pants, pick that shit up from prison
    to let n***** know they homosexual.
    You and your f*gg*ot twisted mind know that ain't true, you sick fuck
    We wear our fucking pants big because our mothers were too poor
    to buy our size, so they had to buy two or three sizes up.
    Call it what it is n**** poverty, it's fucking poverty."

• From the wikipedia on "Sagging"

It was first popularized by members of Los Angeles street gangs, inspired by the common practice of forbidding incarcerated inmates from wearing belts. This style expresses a "tough guy" image for the wearer, and became a prominent element of hip hop fashion as gangsta rap became popular in the 1990s, and remains widespread today, especially with middle and high school students.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    orinated with gay prisoners

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

to buy our size, so they had to buy two or three sizes up."

ummmm...what??

i mean i'd understand a pair of hand me down from a big brother or something, but since when are bigger pants cheaper??

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

ummmm...what??

i mean i'd understand a pair of hand me down from a big brother or something, but since when are bigger pants cheaper??

They last longer because you don't grow out of them as quickly.

Same deal with shoes.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    that makes senses.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the author's intentions are clearly peaceful and positive but how out of touch can one guy be?
    you would think he would have done a bit more research before dropping that article

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

ummmm...what??

They last longer because you don't grow out of them as quickly.

Same deal with shoes.

i remember my mom saying "you better not wreck them pants because youre not getting another pair until next school year". i grew out of my pants ALL THE TIME. used to have to get patches on em cause i was not good at keeping my pants from getting ripped or torn. shit was wack. in 5th grade we started sewing rubberbands into the legs so at least my pants didnt totally look prepared for floods.

also, wearing three pairs of socks to fit into your payless/safeway supermarket shoes that you wear for two school years while kids were walking around in two or three different pairs of jordans. shit i remember when my parents got me a pair of reebok i was dumb happy to have a real brand of shoe. though i never had the problem of cats trying to jump me for my shoes. i guess not having money had its advantages every now and then.

not saying i was hella poor but my folks didnt have dough for more than that. not my whole life, but during my middle school years, when shit started to matter, like appearance, was difficult.

• in 5th grade we started sewing rubberbands into the legs so at least my pants didnt totally look prepared for floods.

Man, we were broke so I was always wearing some cousin's hand-me-downs or pants I had outgrown and getting that awful grade school taunt of "floods" thrown my way. Shit was traumatizing. Wish I had known about that rubberband move.

SONIC

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Stephen A. Smith was commenting on his radio show last week about how he respects Jason Whitlock, but that Whitlock has been coming down HARD on brothers lately. Apparently, he also wrote a column about the Las Vegas All-Star Weekend essentially saying that that it was full of blunts, booze, strippers, guns, etc. and that he was scared to leave his hotel room.

• What is up with the homophobic undercurrent in that piece?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Stephen A. Smith was commenting on his radio show last week about how he respects Jason Whitlock, but that Whitlock has been coming down HARD on brothers lately. Apparently, he also wrote a column about the Las Vegas All-Star Weekend essentially saying that that it was full of blunts, booze, strippers, guns, etc. and that he was scared to leave his hotel room.

He actually wrote a second weirdly contrasting piece about how if you're young and Black you "felt the call of Vegas in your loins" or some such foolishness.

This dude Dwill--whose blog I really like--did a pretty thorough ethering of him.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    5 pager in the making

I love the theory on how sagging pants orinated with gay prisoners showing they were ready and available for "action".
    You learn something new everyday.

That theory really oughta be in snopes.com by now.

• getting that awful grade school taunt of "floods" thrown my way. Shit was traumatizing. Wish I had known about that rubberband move.

"Highwaters, highwaters, can't be beat. 36 Inches off your feet!!"

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    From the wikipedia on "Sagging"

It was first popularized by members of Los Angeles street gangs, inspired by the common practice of forbidding incarcerated inmates from wearing belts. This style expresses a "tough guy" image for the wearer, and became a prominent element of hip hop fashion as gangsta rap became popular in the 1990s, and remains widespread today, especially with middle and high school students.

i went to high school in rural georgia in the mid 90s, it was called "bustin slack"

• From the wikipedia on "Sagging"

i went to high school in rural georgia in the mid 90s, it was called "bustin slack

We called it "bustin' a sag" here in South Carolina back in the early 90s..even now I hear it called that. I do hear "sagging" now though, too.