Anyone else bored with sniping?

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I'm thinking about going back to the days of bidding my absolute max like five minutes into a seven-day auction--just to make things a little more spectacular.

Comments

• im bored w/ snipers. i never have, prolly never will, though i do wish i had sometimes.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I'm thinking about going back to the days of bidding my absolute max like five minutes into a seven-day auction--just to make things a little more spectacular.

I have seen some Japanese dudes do this. They exert their bidding dominance with an iron fist and they actually discourage competition. I have had French and UK bidders later lament something to the effect of ... "I wanted to win more but with _____ in the auction it was pointless to keep bidding"

Of course you'll need the sheer will and huge bankroll of those mysterious Japanese cats (with the private user info) to pull this off.

I have to auto-snipe because if I don't I'll forget to bid. I mean I could be watching an auction with 2 mins to go, switch windows, bam, I forgot to bid.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Wow I didn't even know a thing as an auto-sniper existed.

• I have seen some Japanese dudes do this. They exert their bidding dominance with an iron fist and they actually discourage competition.

Thats what i used to do, but now I rarely bid on anything. Most of the stuff I get on ebay I just buy outright. If I really want something, I usually just email the seller and ask to buy it outright and they just end the auction.

• Wow I didn't even know a thing as an auto-sniper existed.

i like waiting til the last 10 or 15 min and then bidding my absolute max. I tend to always end up winnig the item, but paying to the last dollar of my max bid, when i use the jap-cat methood. It sometime is NAGL. If youre planning on bidding alot then it is easy to forget about auctions. I think sniping is a great tool for potheads and work-a-holics who are busy and forgetful. I can see how it takes part of the fun out of the whole process. I have never used it because i don't bid on enough things to need it but

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

That's what I do. I stopped using ebay for 18 months and just started again. If I see a record, I put down my maximum bid no matter how early it is and wait for the email to see if I've won or not. I don't watch the item and if I lose then that's fine because it was more than I would have wanted to pay. When I get sniped (about 30% of the time) it's usually by the same two or three people. But I make them pay.

• When I get sniped (about 30% of the time) it's usually by the same two or three people.

sayin. same couple of cats ALWAYS. even once at least the same guy on the same record. dood, share the love. c'mon. sheesh

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

That's what I do. I stopped using ebay for 18 months and just started again. If I see a record, I put down my maximum bid no matter how early it is and wait for the email to see if I've won or not. I don't watch the item and if I lose then that's fine because it was more than I would have wanted to pay. When I get sniped (about 30% of the time) it's usually by the same two or three people. But I make them pay.

Yeah, that's how I do it as well. For a while, I was winning on a pretty regular basis, but I haven't actually won an auction in probably a couple years now. Then again, I also tend to bid low.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

I have to auto-snipe because if I don't I'll forget to bid. I mean I could be watching an auction with 2 mins to go, switch windows, bam, I forgot to bid.

i've done that so many times. i started using esnipe a couple months ago and it's been great.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I use this one.

http://www.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

This is almost the same.. but better than just bidding your max. With this you can bid your max and then just forget about it. You'll either win or you won't, but by not instigating a bidding war early you might come out with stuff cheaper this way.
    Or not, in the end it's going to come out the same 90% of the time whether you bid your max or snipe - but maybe %10 of the time it will pay off.

I use it, like I said, mainly because I'm real forgetful.

Also if your computer or internet went down when the auction was ending you would still get your bid in (same as if you went Max Bid at the start though).

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

...but do you know about ePeek?

Truly

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Truly

That's the one that lets you see what the reserve is, right?

Then you got eVoyeur and a couple of other joints to see what other peoples' max bids are.

I really don't even see how these little dudes stay in the game.

• gtfooh

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Truly

That's the one that lets you see what the reserve is, right?

Then you got eVoyeur and a couple of other joints to see what other peoples' max bids are.

I really don't even see how these little dudes stay in the game.

faux' comments somehow went perfectly with his avatar... i can just hear that Wire guys voice.. heh heh

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I still usually snipe the old fashion way... which saves me quite a bit of money as I almost always forget to bid.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Snipping
    Been there/done that!
    No more!!
    I just watch shitty bids from now on & figure out how much some records are selling for!!

• buy it now = sellers best friend

• i'd say 90% of the auctions that i win are sniped. there is a psychological aspect of it that if you bid early someone will try to outbid you even if it is higher than they want to bid. if you do it at the end no one has time to push themselves higher than they'd want to go.

i know i've seen items that had people bidding on them that caused me to bid higher than i'd want to bid, just to win the item.