what’s your limit?

2»

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    My breaking point is usually about a bill.

Ditto. Only spent that much twice so far. More important than a limit for an individual record these days, is a monthly budget for spending on records. With a family and mortgage, keeping down how much I spend a month is the most important thing to me right now. Too many bills, too many bills.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I only spend mad bread on a record when it's (a)not re-issued and (b) none of the Homies have it on MP3.

Otherwise... If it's a US record, I try to just locate the artist and con him out of a bunch of sealed copies.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Most I've ever dropped is $100 (though I've bid higher than that and lost). Only a couple of things I'd go higher than that for.

same here, although I think the most I have paid straight $$ amount is still around $75, and now for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I have long realized that I am a strictly mid-range record baller- I would rather have 8 or 9 later press/Liberty or 70s press Blue Notes that I need than one deep groove OG mono (but I like finding these for under $50 when I can).

Otherwise... If it's a US record, I try to just locate the artist and con him out of a bunch of sealed copies.

Obviously I'm kidding.

My ceiling is around $200... I paid that for Syl Is it Because I'm Black and Harlem Pop Trotters. This is after I hustled a lot of $3 LPs for $30... so it's not so painful departing with the cash if it's in the PayPal account.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I do not know limits.

$318 most I've ever paid.

I've paid $100 or a little over maybe 4 times.

Other than that, I keep my spendings humble. I seem to find a decent amount of rare records anyway.

ayo!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

ayo!

It was for a Queen 12", not Travolta.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    no limit if i have extra money. most spent with one person is around 3g. stein.

My friend spent $5,000 one one direct buy last year. Flipped it in one sale a week later for $85,000. I can't even talk about what was in it, because it is totally isane.

NICE

I think around $200 is my limit now. If it's any more than that, I figure I can find a copy for cheaper. Dependant.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    a local boston funky jazz LP

Which one might I ask?

I only put limits record to record although the most I've ever successfully paid was around $100. I keep losing Stark Reality auctions:D

DJ Ferrari

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    a local boston funky jazz LP

Which one might I ask?

I only put limits record to record although the most I've ever successfully paid was around $100. I keep losing Stark Reality auctions:D

DJ Ferrari

How much does a VG+ Stark Reality LP go for these days ?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    My friend spent $5,000 one one direct buy last year. Flipped it in one sale a week later for $85,000. I can't even talk about what was in it, because it is totally isane.

I'm curious to know just the tip of the iceberg...

I was the second highest bidder at $475.

DJ Ferrari

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

yeah, this is when a record starts to seem more like a piece of plastic & less like a sacred object for me. Also, paying big money is anti-climactic for me - the real joy comes from finding that super dope record you never even knew about in the stack of $2 records you just brought home, etc...

Yup. Plus, everytime people post what they spent that $100 on, there's *always* one or two joints that I copped for $1.

• we were spending g's on records records we'd never heard for years, way before ebay took off.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Yo

I got kids and a mortgage I am straight thrift store and I love it! I cannot afford to and never have messed with ebay....(trades keep getting more and more tempting!)
    I will consistantly dropped $20 at my local spot but it's usually on something that I know will get a lot of use. A lot depends on what the purpose of a record is (If it is something I want to sample and will get a lot of listening play I will drop $20). But I have had good luck and found somethings at thrift stores that I would have shelled out more for in a groove store or on ebay. I just let the cards fall....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

yeah, this is when a record starts to seem more like a piece of plastic & less like a sacred object for me. Also, paying big money is anti-climactic for me - the real joy comes from finding that super dope record you never even knew about in the stack of $2 records you just brought home, etc...

I totally agree with all of the above.

Sure, it's more satisfying to find a record for a dollar, but I don't limit myself to finding records that way. I'm a realist and a busy guy and in today's digging game with my schedule, I wouldn't have much if I didn't pay the price for some of my records.

I'll pay big bucks for records I know are dope and keep the digging for stuff I don't know about because I rarely find something I'm after for nice and cheap in the field.

To each his own, though.

DJ Ferrari

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    paying big money is anti-climactic for me - the real joy comes from finding that super dope record you never even knew about in the stack of $2 records you just brought home, etc...

Exactly....
    My boy (who's crate's and knowledge I deeply respect) broke his three diggin factors down to me like this (in order of importance):
    1. Knowledge: the more you know the better you Dig.
    2. Consistancey: The more your in the field (thrift stores, garage sales,stores, etc) the more of a chance you have to come up.
    3. Luck: Some times the dope ish falls right into your lap ( ever hit a thrift right after a decent collection was just donated...these are the times of affordable come ups!)

I don't know I was feelin it when he broke it down to me.. I'm sure the twelver of Grolsch had nothing to do with it.

• i just bid more on a record than i ever would have dreamed.
    do you cats operate with any kind of standard limits
    of what you'll pay for a grail?
    how about more run-of-the-mill raer?

curious...

The pure acting of paying blood on a record not the problem.

Everything really starts when you have the whole thing
    at home and suddenly bills come out of nowhere to be paid ...

(believe it: cars are jealous!)

• Options
    I just paid $900 CDN for a record yesterday...but I'm selling it..and it's worth $4000+US

For one I kept, $550 for a rare studio 1 blank 12".

K.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

2. Consistancey: The more your in the field (thrift stores, garage sales,stores, etc) the more of a chance you have to come up.
    3. Luck: Some times the dope ish falls right into your lap ( ever hit a thrift right after a decent collection was just donated...these are the times of affordable come ups!)

3 black crack commandments right thurr
    but saying, the pricey itch is hard to ignore

• Options

Stay ahead of the curve.

K.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    paying big money is anti-climactic for me - the real joy comes from finding that super dope record you never even knew about in the stack of $2 records you just brought home, etc...

Exactly....
    My boy (who's crate's and knowledge I deeply respect) broke his three diggin factors down to me like this (in order of importance):

I don't know I was feelin it when he broke it down to me.. I'm sure the twelver of Grolsch had nothing to do with it.

You forgot:

4. Scared money don't make money.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i just bid more on a record than i ever would have dreamed.
    do you cats operate with any kind of standard limits
    of what you'll pay for a grail?
    how about more run-of-the-mill raer?

curious...

The pure acting of paying blood on a record not the problem.

Everything really starts when you have the whole thing
    at home and suddenly bills come out of nowhere to be paid ...

(believe it: cars are jealous!)

yo kraut, you know i love you...but you need to get up on the strut more and work on that english . this last post was reeaalll cryptic.

carry on

I just paid $900 CDN for a record yesterday...but I'm selling it..and it's worth $4000+US

For one I kept, $550 for a rare studio 1 blank 12".

K.

extraballerdoubleplus rightttherrr

You forgot:

definitely scared money dont make none. dont on sit on that monay foolios. buy women records real estate while the bills are green. (hahakiddin on the womin)
    just know when the deals good. mortgage against the house of you feel it.

i paid a lot for stark rerality off the bay, and havent regretted it for a second.
    ive paid 100+ many times. more than i could possibly count. usually after getting a paycheck and wanting to treat myself to something. shit, i know someof yall work hard and deserev it. i dont feel like too much of a chump for shelling out since i try to seek out those dollar bin miracles.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

You forgot:

definitely scared money dont make none. dont on sit on that monay foolios. buy women records real estate while the bills are green. (hahakiddin on the womin)
    just know when the deals good. mortgage against the house of you feel it.

i paid a lot for stark rerality off the bay, and havent regretted it for a second.
    ive paid 100+ many times. more than i could possibly count. usually after getting a paycheck and wanting to treat myself to something. shit, i know someof yall work hard and deserev it. i dont feel like too much of a chump for shelling out since i try to seek out those dollar bin miracles.

I can feel ya! If you wanna drop skrill on a record.... Do that shit I just havn't been compelled to drop a bill on something and probably won't anytime soon. If I was stackin more bread I wouldn't give a fuk. But that ain't my case...Plus my MPC has been broke to shit for a year.. Still works but my shift key is pretty damn broke..