what’s your limit?

merlemerle 39 Posts
edited June 2005 in Record Collecting
i just bid more on a record than i ever would have dreamed.do you cats operate with any kind of standard limitsof what you'll pay for a grail?how about more run-of-the-mill raer?curious...

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    There are a couple I'd pay $300 for if I could afford it. But I can't, so I won't.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    there is a record i said i'd never pay over $$$ for...but after being outbid by more than $100 on several occassions i now realize i'll just have to break bread.....

so,yes i have limits but on few occassions i will ignore my limits

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i haven't spent more than 20 bucks on something (my collection definitely shows that) but i would have no problem spending a few hundred as long as it was something i really liked.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The sky.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    When I have the money to blow, limits mean very little.

I just got paid for some side work I'm doing and knocked off some serious wants. An extremely rare free jazz album from ohio, a local boston funky jazz LP.... the work is a pain in the ass, so why shouldn't I get some fun out of it.

I can't always spend like this. Plus if times ever get rough, the albums will probably have increased in value, if I ever needed to get rid of em.

• The sky.

Rey you're scaring me with your new slimmed down look.

Why are your Pm's off btw? I wanted to send out a gift (leisure related) and need your addy.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've yet to break 100, but that is pure luck. I know of a couple things I'd pay maybe 200 for if & when I have that kinda money to spend on a record.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The sky.

Rey you're scaring me with your new slimmed down look.

Why are your Pm's off btw? I wanted to send out a gift (leisure related) and need your addy.

I don't know why my PM's are off...strange. I just tried to PM Raj to fix the problem but apparently his are off also. I PM'd you.

The slimmed down look is a summer thing.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    no limit if i have extra money. most spent with one person is around 3g. stein.

• My breaking point is usually about a bill.

• merlemerle 39 Posts
    i think mine is about $200,
    but i have to really want it
    and it must be extra minty.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts

My friend spent $5,000 one one direct buy last year. Flipped it in one sale a week later for $85,000. I can't even talk about what was in it, because it is totally isane.

My breaking point is usually about a bill.

yeah, this is when a record starts to seem more like a piece of plastic & less like a sacred object for me. Also, paying big money is anti-climactic for me - the real joy comes from finding that super dope record you never even knew about in the stack of $2 records you just brought home, etc...

My friend spent $5,000 one one direct buy last year. Flipped it in one sale a week later for $85,000. I can't even talk about what was in it, because it is totally isane.

JESUS!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    The sky. However long until my parents check the credit card statement

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I agree with a lot of people here. When there is money to blow, and a record has to be had, I'll go as far as I can. But that in itself is rare, so I will have a limit on how far I'll go.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    so far the most ive dropped is $50, but i would drop any amount as long as it's not overpriced and ive got the money to spend

• Most I've ever paid for one record is $30 and I can't see myself paying more than $20.

Most I've ever paid for one record is $30 and I can't see myself paying more than $20.

inverse ???

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

JESUS!

yes, GAME OVER

me: $100 or so.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    for a record you can make 2000 off, you'd be a fool if you saw one for 1000, had the bread, know a guy who'd give you the 2000, and you didn't buy it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    saying but how often do you see $1000 LPs? saying

I did pass on a $500 LP that I could have bought at $300. Oh wells.

for a record you can make 2000 off, you'd be a fool if you saw one for 1000, had the bread, know a guy who'd give you the 2000, and you didn't buy it.

not all of us are so BOLD[/b]

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

not all of us are so BOLD[/b]

raise up

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    most i ever paid for a record was a little over a bill and i had no problem. most i ever bid was a little over 3 bills and i still didnt with taht shit.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    The Stark Reality joint might just make me wanna go cold get stupid and spend a little...$ ?

• My breaking point is usually about a bill.

yeah, this is when a record starts to seem more like a piece of plastic & less like a sacred object for me. Also, paying big money is anti-climactic for me - the real joy comes from finding that super dope record you never even knew about in the stack of $2 records you just brought home, etc...

I agree with that. My limit is 100 euros, but I don't have the same pleasure with the record when I paid this.. so I did it maybe 2 or 3 times..
    In opposite I really regret the few dollar bin LPs I sold to gain big money..

I could pay more than 100 for a record which value is far more than that, but I will probably not keep it! Just grab big money from it.

• Most I've ever dropped is $100 (though I've bid higher than that and lost). Only a couple of things I'd go higher than that for.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Most I've ever dropped is $100 (though I've bid higher than that and lost). Only a couple of things I'd go higher than that for.

a benji is my limit most of the time, highest ive ever bid is 250...