Has da 'Strut had a real discussion...

2»

Comments

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Robin Thicke puts pressure on R&B artists to step it up.

Do you really think Alan Thicke is raising the bar in Rhythm & Blues?

Call me disconnected, but I actually do think that Robin Thicke has got talent. I am really not into most contemporary R&B though. Raphael Saadiq, D'Angelo and a couple others are pretty much all I can take.
    I think folks that use rap instrumentals to make R&B should listen to Thicke's album and rethink their approach for the sake of their genre.

Those videos are souless mall r&b. If that's your cup of tea, mediocre singers w/ MOR music. Do you.
    Gettin asshurt about Singing over Hip Hop instramentals is about 20 years too late.

Trust me, I don't care that much about singers over hip hop to be asshurt. I just wanted to start a discussion about white R&B singers. With the way things are now, I think we are witnessing a more accepting reception to the proliferation of these artists. I figured I'd see if anyone that there was any short-term or long-term effects to this.

MOR or not... it's still interesting that he wasn't effective enough to come out in 2003, but now he is. I'm wondering what is so different today.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Call me disconnected, but I actually do think that Robin Thicke has got talent. I am really not into most contemporary R&B though. Raphael Saadiq, D'Angelo and a couple others are pretty much all I can take.
    I think folks that use rap instrumentals to make R&B should listen to Thicke's album and rethink their approach for the sake of their genre.

Those videos are souless mall r&b. If that's your cup of tea, mediocre singers w/ MOR music. Do you.
    Gettin asshurt about Singing over Hip Hop instramentals is about 20 years too late.

Trust me, I don't care that much about singers over hip hop to be asshurt. I just wanted to start a discussion about white R&B singers. With the way things are now, I think we are witnessing a more accepting reception to the proliferation of these artists. I figured I'd see if anyone that there was any short-term or long-term effects to this.

MOR or not... it's still interesting that he wasn't effective enough to come out in 2003, but now he is. I'm wondering what is so different today.

This is not Alan Thicke's first album. Call me when the "Local Black Exp" supports Alan Thicke the way they support R.Kelly & Mart J Blige.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    ... about the neo-Elvis effect of Justin Timberlake?

Inform me about this "neo-Elvis effect". As far as I know, Justin Timberlake considers himself a pop artist. He dabbles in what one could categorize as "soul", but are you suggesting that people are going to think that Justin Timberlake will be considered the king of soul music? I would think that even he would reject the notion.

Let me go on the record that this term emerged from barbershop talk. I can't say I really believe JT is anything like Elvis. I think that's why the "neo-" was added though. All the same, I agree. I don't think he would try to assume such a title.

I got what you were saying though. I appreciate your response. It's post like yours that make me continue to read this forum.

And on Timberlake filling a void, I know dude got serious play in my car, my computer and my Walkman. I had been looking for an album like his - an actual comprehensive piece of good pop music - for a long time.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

This is not Alan Thicke's first album. Call me when the "Local Black Exp" supports Alan Thicke the way they support R.Kelly & Mart J Blige.

I know this is his second album. I actually have both of them. Dude decided to stay with one flavor this time around. A Beautiful World was all over the place. I think dude has the chops to stick around for a bit.

PM them digits... and I'll holla. My grown-and-sexy co-workers may have something to say about that.

• i'm not really deep in the r & b game but i think the JT singles off the new album have both been awful.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i'm not really deep in the r & b game but i think the JT singles off the new album have both been awful.

^^^^^^THINKS JT SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A GUEST SHOT FROM CAPPADONNA

• Awwwright, my two cents -

What struck me as wierd about the Robin Thicke CD was that more than JT, adults were buying it. At the store I work at Robin Thicke is our #1 selling R&B CD, right above the new Whispers and Gary Taylor. So there has to be something there because it's not just a teeny bopper fad, I mean most people at our store buying his CD are lifelong R&B buyers. I've personally never listened to it but I get a lot of comments on it like "there's at least five or six good cuts on here" or "you can listen to it all the way through". Those comments are two problems with most major label pop and R&B releases, only one or two good cuts with the rest filler bullshit, and too many solid R&B vocalists putting MCs rapping all over their songs to try and cross over. JT sells well at our store but mostly to younger (teens and 20s) R&B listeners as opposed to Robin Thicke who has even got the grown and sexy crowd picking up his CD.

There have always been white artists who cross over, from Tommy Good to Gino Vanelli (go ask your mother). I think R&B fans are dedicated and more open minded than rock/pop fans and will give a white artist a spin if its smooth and slightly soulful, more so than rock listeners. That's why there are more white soul crossover acts than black rock bands. With the amount of solid contemporary R&B releases that appeal to adults dropping, more white artists will cross over. I see hardcore R&B listeners buying Swing Out Sister, John Mayer, Zero 7, Steely Dan, Everything But The Girl, older heads copping the Rascals and the Doobie Brothers, Michael McDonald, Rare Earth, etc. I just don't see race as being as big of an issue with black listeners as it is with white listeners. That's why white audiences make a huge deal about white rap, R&B, reggae and jazz artists who have street cred more so than black people give a rat turd about black rock bands.

Anyways, from Michael McDonald to Micheal Franks to Gino Vannelli to George Michaels to Jon B to Robin Thicke, sometimes white boys can bring it, and when they do, black audiences listen. I think of it as more of a statement of open mindedness and appreciation of the arts regardless of race rather than the "Elvis" syndrome. Motherfuck him amnd John Wayne.

Oh yeah, and say any of that race shit in regards to Teena Marie in Detroit and you're bound to get hurt.

SONIC

• Good morning everyone. Just thought of something. Why is there a window underneath the stairwell? I mean, other than the obvious "so we can see what you're not looking at" statement?

• Robin Thicke

"Lost without You" is a great song.

• Robin Thicke puts pressure on R&B artists to step it up.

Umm in LA they support it very well. He is not a breakout hit, but we can't keep it in stock. Thicke has quietly made a name for himself and the "Local Black Experience" out here is definately supporting him. It surprised everyone and really happened about a month after his album was released.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    What struck me as wierd about the Robin Thicke CD was that more than JT, adults were buying it. At the store I work at Robin Thicke is our #1 selling R&B CD, right above the new Whispers and Gary Taylor. So there has to be something there because it's not just a teeny bopper fad, I mean most people at our store buying his CD are lifelong R&B buyers. I've personally never listened to it but I get a lot of comments on it like "there's at least five or six good cuts on here" or "you can listen to it all the way through". Those comments are two problems with most major label pop and R&B releases, only one or two good cuts with the rest filler bullshit, and too many solid R&B vocalists putting MCs rapping all over their songs to try and cross over. JT sells well at our store but mostly to younger (teens and 20s) R&B listeners as opposed to Robin Thicke who has even got the grown and sexy crowd picking up his CD.

part time dc record store clerks cosign this whole paragraph.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

part time dc record store clerks cosign this whole paragraph.

Yup, I can attest to the south side of Chicagos L.B.E. supporting the fuck out of Robin Thicke. We've sold 40+ copies to the grown and sexy R&B crowd in the past few months.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I really don't know shit about JT or RT but I can tell you that I had never heard of Thicke until my brother-in-law, who has done some background vocal work for Luda and others, told me about him. Brothers are feeling this.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    One of my co-workers was telling me that Amy Winehouse sounds better than Joss Stone, but he'd rather listen to Joss since she's killing Amy in the looks department every day and 10 times on Sunday.

I dunno, if it were me, I'd consider it a draw. Winehouse has this "gap-toothed-Sarah-Silverman" thing going on that I find appealing. Even in some candid, unposed picture that catches her in the middle of a sentence, I'd get next to that. And never underestimate the power of the tank top...
    I copped her recent album and I think she looks like a pirate in all her recent photos.

Amy Winehouse used to look stupid hot. She had that North London Jewish Princess thing going on, with a bit of Camden soul girl thrown in as well. She became a bit of a UK gossip magazine fixture when some photos of her were published where all those curves had disappeared and she looked pretty emaciated. I'm not feeling her tattoos at all - they make her arms look like the back of a toilet door. She's got a good voice, though - I thought she was biting Erykah Badu when she came out, but her new record sounds like she's finding her own voice. She writes a pretty worldly lyric for a woman not long out of her teens as well. Shame the video for "In My Bed" isn't on Youtube.

Getting back on topic, there's nothing particularly unique about what Justin Timberlake does. Elvis did it, the Beatles and the Stones did it, Michael McDonald did it. I like his records, personally. I don't see him doing some "Extensions of a Man" type shit anytime soon, but for what it is, it's pretty much state-of-the-art.

As for Robin Thicke, he didn't show up on my radar until "Shooter" off "Tha Carter II", which was dope to me on some "Meters vs White Album-era Beatles" vibe. Lots of the soul/r&b stations in the UK, like Choice or Solar, are bumping shit off that new record, though, especially the cut w/Faith Evans.

Amy Winehouse used to look stupid hot. She had that North London Jewish Princess thing going on, with a bit of Camden soul girl thrown in as well. She became a bit of a UK gossip magazine fixture when some photos of her were published where all those curves had disappeared and she looked pretty emaciated. I'm not feeling her tattoos at all - they make her arms look like the back of a toilet door. She's got a good voice, though - I thought she was biting Erykah Badu when she came out, but her new record sounds like she's finding her own voice. She writes a pretty worldly lyric for a woman not long out of her teens as well. Shame the video for "In My Bed" isn't on Youtube.

Getting back on topic, there's nothing particularly unique about what Justin Timberlake does. Elvis did it, the Beatles and the Stones did it, Michael McDonald did it. I like his records, personally. I don't see him doing some "Extensions of a Man" type shit anytime soon, but for what it is, it's pretty much state-of-the-art.

As for Robin Thicke, he didn't show up on my radar until "Shooter" off "Tha Carter II", which was dope to me on some "Meters vs White Album-era Beatles" vibe. Lots of the soul/r&b stations in the UK, like Choice or Solar, are bumping shit off that new record, though, especially the cut w/Faith Evans.

That song she did with Ghostface makes me want to stab myself in the ears.

• but have you heard the Cappadonna collab?

but have you heard the Cappadonna collab?

Damn, I just knew you were gonna ride for this girl.

There is something reassuring in how unerringly bad your taste is.

And, no, I haven't heard the Capadonna collab. Is it "nice!"?

• but have you heard the Cappadonna collab?

Damn, I just knew you were gonna rid for this girl.

actually I never checked for this Winehouse chick beyond the joint Nat put on his tape. I mean, an "artist" that hasn't worked with Faboulous isn't really worth my time.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Robin Thicke

i'll admit i've only heard the single thats out now. i saw the video a couple times on vh1. but ill investigate further to see if i missed something.

• Amy Winehouse used to look stupid hot.

"Used to" is right - just peeped a newer photo in the March issue of Spin (Fall Out Boy on the cover)...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

finally got around to hearing thicke album beyond the singles and it is (mostly) fire. what was the normally-respectable batmon clowning on this?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Soul Strut really isn't a good place to discuss modern R&B.

Seriously--I think only about half a dozen people on here check for it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    What are you guys talking about music for?!?!!! Can't we talk about this instead?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Robin Thicke

Yeah, Thicke has such a strong voice. I'd place him right next to Teddy Pendergrass.