amy winehouse related

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
so, first of all, i owe the finding out of this artist to someone on this site who mentioned her when lilly allen came up,,,whoever u are thanks. i didnt think much of her at first to be honest, but godamn if i didnt bump her album in my mp3 player everyday for 3 weeks later, i can't remember which post. i listened to both of her albums...the latest one kicks the first one's ass by far, minus a couple of singles. in toronto they had a show for her and i was pissed, because i didnt get tickets for it in time, but they added a second show, and i got tix, so i'm happy. have y'all listened to the second album, what do u think? im extremely interested in how the live band will sound...and for those that have caught her live before (most likely u UK'ers), how did they perform? are they a regular rotation band that tours with her? anyhow, i got my tix and i'm happy and can't wait. her voice reminds me of that show with the nanny...frans something...i dont know something like that.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    so, first of all, i owe the finding out of this artist to someone on this site who mentioned her when lilly allen came up,,,whoever u are thanks. i didnt think much of her at first to be honest, but godamn if i didnt bump her album in my mp3 player everyday for 3 weeks later, i can't remember which post. i listened to both of her albums...the latest one kicks the first one's ass by far, minus a couple of singles. in toronto they had a show for her and i was pissed, because i didnt get tickets for it in time, but they added a second show, and i got tix, so i'm happy. have y'all listened to the second album, what do u think? im extremely interested in how the live band will sound...and for those that have caught her live before (most likely u UK'ers), how did they perform? are they a regular rotation band that tours with her? anyhow, i got my tix and i'm happy and can't wait. her voice reminds me of that show with the nanny...frans something...i dont know something like that.

I don't think Winehouse is The Truth??? or anything but I dig her new album. Mark Ronson and Salaam knock out some very solid retro-soul tracks. Somewhere, Sharon Jones should be wondering why all these white British chicks are biting her steez

• damn,someone was hyping this up to me tonight. mark ronson/salaam remi production. ima try to hearit

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think the first person who mentioned her on here was aser
    "he can only hold her" off her latest is the shit

damn,someone was hyping this up to me tonight. mark ronson/salaam remi production. ima try to hearit

Here's my fave song off the CD: "Addicted." I think Remi did this? I don't have my liners in front of me right now.

• damn,someone was hyping this up to me tonight. mark ronson/salaam remi production. ima try to hearit

Here's my fave song off the CD: "Addicted." I think Remi did this? I don't have my liners in front of me right now The mp3 I downloaded has the song name only.

• I like her new album (well, recent as of November), but whoever mastered it must have had cotton in the ear. That brickwall mastering crap is just shit to me. I doubt the US pressing coming out next month will be any different. I hope the vinyl isn't that bad. Or is it?

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    too much brown in her vains

damn,someone was hyping this up to me tonight. mark ronson/salaam remi production. ima try to hearit

Here's my fave song off the CD: "Addicted." I think Remi did this? I don't have my liners in front of me right now The mp3 I downloaded has the song name only.

Don't test me advance gangsta.

I still have deadstock Rawkus gold.

It is Remi, btw.

• white British chicks

[eyesrolling] dude Ol*ver, Winehouse is Jewish. it's not the same thing. [/eyesrolling]

white British chicks

[eyesrolling] dude Ol*ver, Winehouse is Jewish. it's not the same thing. [/eyesrolling]

Is this where we invoke Matisyahu?

BTW:

• DOPE.

• How does a Jewish chick from the UK have a southern accent?

How does a Jewish chick from the UK have a southern accent?

Ask Joss Stone (minus the Jewish part).

• How does a Jewish chick from the UK have a southern accent?

the brits are masters at that impersonation thing. haven't you ever heard those goofy british accents they're always trying to front with?

How does a Jewish chick from the UK have a southern accent?

the brits are masters at that impersonation thing. haven't you ever heard those goofy british accents they're always trying to front with?

• I remember Mark telling me that he used the Dap Kings on a lot of the album so that makes sense.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    my dj friends, corny co-workers, the record reviews, and now you lot...
    i feel like the only person in the world that can't get into her music
    maybe her annoying single 'fuck me pumps' from the first LP permanently turned me off?
    but nothing about her music resonates with me
    not the over-the-top production or singing
    not her grating voice
    not the 'retro-soul' sytle
    NOTHING

ps - she just won the brit award for best female solo artist
    psssshhhhhtttthfffft

I remember Mark telling me that he used the Dap Kings on a lot of the album so that makes sense.

Ha - well now it all makes sense. I didn't notice Gabriel Roth's name the first time around (b/c I wasn't looking for it) but yeah, the Dap-Kings players are on several of the songs. I knew they backed her at her show in NYC but I just figured that was some, "I'm in town and need a band" thing.

• the brits are masters at that impersonation thing. haven't you ever watched the wire?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

That shit aint brown!

also

I have to take credit for posting about Winehouse in that Lily Allen thread.
    Sinse then though, she's everywhere over here, and I've become pretty sick of 'er.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

the brits are masters at that impersonation thing. haven't you ever watched the wire/lost/heroes/without a trace/Oz?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Also, there's plenty of live clips over on youtube if you wana hear what she's like live. IMO the band are tight, it depends on how wasted she is in regards to her performance.

• Not to get off point but this is filmed in my local area...We drink in some of the pubs in this movie, althought most of them have had a lick of paint since back then...

Get Carter...

• I remember Mark telling me that he used the Dap Kings on a lot of the album so that makes sense.

They're also on the Lily Allen album too, or at least did "Smile (Version Revisited)". I like the work Roth did on the Brooklyn Boogaloo Blowout album, I think if Nick Rossi does a new album, he should work with Roth on production.

• This boot comes highly recommended by yours truly

http://www.ifmusic.co.uk/catalog/product.php?products_id=5866

And that picture above is meant to have had the gak photoshopped in.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    i think the first person who mentioned her on here was aser
    "he can only hold her" off her latest is the shit

Yeah.. Aser luvs that gurl. The dude is even trying to get rid of Leaf tickets to go see her. I'm hoping she will sing a song just for him.

Thx Aser for putting me onto her. Good stuff.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the dap-kings are going to be her backing band for the US tour in march. They will also be playing together at south by southwest.

I'm pretty sure the dap-kings are going to be her backing band for the US tour in march. They will also be playing together at south by southwest.

Awesome. I'm waiting to see her in LA at the Roxy.

• As mentioned, this picture was supplied to various newspapers, but when it appeared in the The Sun, mysterious white powder had appeared all over her nose! Just in their photo, amazing!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

That shit aint brown!

Ha ha - quite a few rumours that the newspaper in question photoshopped the white stuff onto that image. Either that or all the other publications who used it took the white off...

Live, she's great. First album sucks, second one is good. I think she's going to get better over time.