Beautiful Woman & Morning Sickness

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I like those late 60s-early 70s Coryell records. That "At the Village Gate" record that some straight up Band of Gypsys-style power trio fire on them.

But if someone put out an album with a cover like that now, someone would be calling the authorities, straight up...

• daaaam thats fucked up. you saying teres pedophilic undertones? never once did that cross my mind,but of course now im gonna second guessing that cover every time.

still,there are some joints on this record that are unfuktwitable

• ytou ruined m ythread

• daaaam thats fucked up. you saying teres pedophilic undertones? never once did that cross my mind

Yeah, it's just some "back to nature" shit. Just like this cover:

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts

Tony I thought this was going to be a thread about you maybe being a new daddy...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Tony I thought this was going to be a thread about you maybe being a new daddy...

Tone clones running around West Philly? Haha, yes, that will be a great day!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Coryell is the fastest guitarist I have EVER seen. Big fan. Also dig this record:

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ytou ruined m ythread

Haha, that thought never crossed my mind. I looked at it like some natural human being/Adamn and Eve thing. I hope I don't look at it weird myself now - "Come children, to our compound in the woods..."

NAGL

Besides the break, "No One Really Knows" is a good song. The lyrics always tripped me out.

No one really knows why they hate themselves
    but it's all a simple matter, locked in your skull
    if you can't think about holy things
    things will make you more and more miserable
    find out how to know everlasting love
    get it in your head and don't let it go
    opening up the gates to insanity and vanity, all the time
    Will sizzle your brain....

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Tony found a box of them today and he's driving the price up for ebay

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Where were you guys back when the Szabo v. Coryell thread went down?? I felt like I was the only one sticking up for dude... I really dig the Lady Coryell LP too

• Coryell is the fastest guitarist I have EVER seen. Big fan. Also dig this record:

Colin Walcott, that guy seemed to be everywhere.

I always liked this album:

I bought it because it was a Flying Dutchman, on Atlantic. I later found out it had some J5 sample doodah, but who cares. "Gypsy Queen" on this is great, along with the song on side 2, "Call To The Higher Consciousness". I missed Coryell when he did a "homecoming" show in Richland, WA last year, but I heard he played a number of songs he recorded during this era. Oh well.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Where were you guys back when the Szabo v. Coryell thread went down?? I felt like I was the only one sticking up for dude... I really dig the Lady Coryell LP too

Sorry man, but it's Szabo all day for me. Coryell is definitley gifted on the technical side, but Szabo records I can listen to all the way through. I'm not really with the 9/13 time signature jazz/rock/fusion orgies that alot of Coryell records fall into.

• signature jazz/rock/fusion orgies that alot of Coryell records fall into.
    as long as it doesnt involve kids, i'll ride for larry

when i do got little tonys on the way, i guess i will have to start the same post in the same way.

• I'm not really with the 9/13 time signature jazz/rock/fusion orgies that alot of Coryell records fall into.

Then you would like what he's doing in the last 20 years or so, where his music is (arguably) as fluffy as his hair was back in 1971.

Coryell got very deep into the spiritual side, along with Mahavishnu and Devadip (I forgot what Coryell's name was), and I think it would have been cool if he had joined those two for that album.

I'm a Szabo fan as well, so I'm not comparing the two. In fact, why am I here?

• yeah for real...ima get out my damn house and ge a drink

peace!

• yeah for real...ima get out my damn house and ge a drink
    peace!

I might head to a nearby Wal-Mart and laugh at the people who are buying soap for their weekly shower.

Nah. I don't drink, but I wish there were other bars than country bars. I think everyone is playing "pull tabs" tonight.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    brilliant

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    brilliant

put b spears on it

• put b spears on it

No. Don't fuck with genius.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    brilliant

Dammit, I wish I thought of that!

Anyway I have an affinity for:
    IMG SRC=http://sudo.3.pro.tok2.com/Quest/cards/L/LarryCoryell/Fairyland.jpg>
    everything else by dude I sold.
    I'm a Szabo head like Day.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I really like this one too:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I really dig the Lady Coryell LP too

The version of "Cleo's Mood" on the tail of side 2 is fookin great. Those late 60s/early 70s LPs are good. When he does his stoner guitar noodling over a heavy rhythm section (e.g. Rainey/Purdie on "Fairyland") he kills it IMO. I think he's an excellent guitarist. And I'm very choosy when it comes to axe fondlers.

Don't sleep on his sideman game on this one:

I'm playing a lot of his stuff these days. Any other good Coryell appearences from that period that I should check? I remember having that Free Spirits album many years ago, but I wasn't feeling it back then, so I sold it.