anybody evar rig up they electric meter steal

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
somebody showed me this rig where they put a spoke up through the joint that spins and run free all weekend.

Comments

• That doesn't sound very Gaia friendly to me.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• our electric bill is around $210 every month

is that nuts or is this normal for a circa-1908 flat?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    our electric bill is around $210 every month

How big a place do you have? Is the AC running all the time?

• on the older models you could pull the circular meter [with the glass casing] out and put it back in upside-down and it would make the meter start running backwards... no shit, we used to do this all the time in Ecuador until we once forgot and got a bill that was negative.

• we don't have an AC. it's a 3-bedroom, 1 bath with a living room, dining room & eat in kitchen.

i am suspicious that the restaurant in our building is stealing electricity from us. our bill doesn't even fluctuate during winter months which is kinda weird. am i being paranoid? is that even possible? i lived in a 4-bedroom place before this and our electricity was never that high

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    we don't have an AC. it's a 3-bedroom, 1 bath with a living room, dining room & eat in kitchen.

i am suspicious that the restaurant in our building is stealing electricity from us. our bill doesn't even fluctuate during winter months which is kinda weird. am i being paranoid? i lived in a 4-bedroom place before this and our electricity was never that high

Honestly, that seems way too much, but I don't know much about US $$$. There could be a flaw with the meter that is tacking some of the energy usage of the restaurant on to your meter. I know people who've owned properties that had the same problem. First, learn how to read your meter, if you don't know how. There are guides on google/yahoo that can help you make sense of the numbers. The age of the building would be a factor to me in that fixtures are probably not energy saving - balasts, etc. I'm thinking faulty meter, tho. Call the electric company & try to get a reading & see if they'll tell you what the previous tenant paid on average. By law in Quebec, they have to tell you this. Don't know about the states. Heating is expensive, especially if your place is old. Do you have electric heating? You're in Cali; Do people ever have to turn on the heat there? That electricity bill would be high in Quebec with your electric heat blasting all winter.

• we don't have an AC. it's a 3-bedroom, 1 bath with a living room, dining room & eat in kitchen.

i am suspicious that the restaurant in our building is stealing electricity from us. our bill doesn't even fluctuate during winter months which is kinda weird. am i being paranoid? i lived in a 4-bedroom place before this and our electricity was never that high

Honestly, that seems way too much, but I don't know much about US $$$. There could be a flaw with the meter that is tacking some of the energy usage of the restaurant on to your meter. I know people who've owned properties that had the same problem. First, learn how to read your meter, if you don't know how. There are guides on google/yahoo that can help you make sense of the numbers. The age of the building would be a factor to me in that fixtures are probably not energy saving - balasts, etc. I'm thinking faulty meter, tho. Call the electric company & try to get a reading & see if they'll tell you what the previous tenant paid on average. By law in Quebec, they have to tell you this. Don't know about the states. Heating is expensive, especially if your place is old. Do you have electric heating? You're in Cali; Do people ever have to turn on the heat there? That electricity bill would be high in Quebec with your electric heat blasting all winter.

it's gas heating and our building was built in 1908. i have no idea how to read the meter but thanks for the tip. i'm going to do some research.

• at one point while that restaurant is busy... open your fusebox and turn everything off... then go check if your meter is still running. your answer should be right there.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    we don't have an AC. it's a 3-bedroom, 1 bath with a living room, dining room & eat in kitchen.

it's gas heating and our building was built in 1908. i have no idea how to read the meter but thanks for the tip. i'm going to do some research.

210.00 is wild. I don't pay for heating & my electric bill is around 60.00 per month in a 2 bedroom with full kitchen.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ours was $350 last month. 3000 square feet. electric heat. cca 1920 stucco house.

no. not gonna happen.

crazy. thats why im ready to get simple.

• at one point while that restaurant is busy... open your fusebox and turn everything off... then go check if your meter is still running. your answer should be right there.

excellent idea!!

thanks much

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    speaking of bills, my phone bill came today and was almost four hundred fucking dollars. I have no idea why and I am not happy.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    our electric bill is around $210 every month

there are a couple of factors that willaffectyour electric bill, two important ones are your location and the state of your wiring. if you live in manhattan then your bill will be higher than average. if you have antiquated,dilapidated wiring than your bill will be higher because you won't be making efficient use of electricity. bottom line though, $210 is outrageous. how many kilowatt hours do you normally rack up? look at your kwph usage and compare it to a neighbors.

I'm in a similar flat. $230 was the highest bill we ever got. Last month was $100 but a lot of that has to do with the fact that we're hardly ever home.

YO!

are you on commercial electric rates?

thats out of hand, serious. i have liced in 1920s building since like 1992 and NEVER had a bill that high even when i was in a commercial building.you do need to do the fusebox/meter test...is the business below your landlord?

i think someone from the utility company would even sit and discuss this with you if you called them(a pain in the ass itself)