VH1: "Blinged"

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Did anyone catch this last night? It's all my buddy at work has been talking about. They took Raekwon, Paul Wall and TV Johnny to Sierra Leone diamond mines. Very eye-opening from what I understand. I'm sure they'll be replaying it, maybe even tonite. Sounds very Strut friendly.

Comments

• it made Raekwon cry.

It was fairly interesting. I just thought it was silly that they were going over there to learn about serious issues and talk to people in shitty situations and Raekwon is wearing a shirt with a huge picture of his own face with coke all over his nose.

At the same time, Rae was the one most affected by all of it.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    it made Raekwon cry.

I wish i had vh1 still.

• I've never pegged him as an intellectual giant, but goddamn, Raekwon is even dumber than I thought he was.

He sounded his most ridiculous when they were in the studio with Sierra Leone's number one rapper and he was prattling on about how hard he had it growing up--"second-hand clothes and all that, son!" Dude is in a country where toddlers have had limbs amputated, but because he had such a rough childhood, he needs to treat himself to diamonds.

But a close second was the scene with him showing his diamond chain to the guys who work the mine (for food and roughly $2 upon finding a diamond) because he wanted them to see the fruits of their labor?

I thought Paul Wall came off pretty good, and Tego seemed cool enough (even if I still don't know why *he* was asked along). Is he popular in Sierra Leone?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/wayw/060908/

^^New nagl graemlin?

(ok this is barely related but i was looking for an excuse to post this/i dont have cable)

You can see clips from it on the vh1 site.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've never pegged him as an intellectual giant, but goddamn, Raekwon is even dumber than I thought he was.

He sounded his most ridiculous when they were in the studio with Sierra Leone's number one rapper and he was prattling on about how hard he had it growing up--"second-hand clothes and all that, son!" Dude is in a country where toddlers have had limbs amputated, but because he had such a rough childhood, he needs to treat himself to diamonds.

But a close second was the scene with him showing his diamond chain to the guys who work the mine (for food and roughly $2 upon finding a diamond) because he wanted them to see the fruits of their labor?

In every interview I've ever seen/read with him, he always ends up getting heated trying to express some non-point.

• Ugh.

"ZOE: Mine is really ghetto."

Plaese to stop.

Did you notice "Sierra Leone's number one rapper" had a diamond stud ear ring.He didn't seem conflicted in wearing it and discussing the issue.

• In every interview I've ever seen/read with him, he always ends up getting heated trying to express some non-point.

"Ca'I say dis one? Ca'I say dis one? DOMINATION, BABY."

Did you notice "Sierra Leone's number one rapper" had a diamond stud ear ring.He didn't seem conflicted in wearing it and discussing the issue.

My wife pointed that out, too. I'm guessing it was a fake diamond; it's hard to imagine that dude is really paid like that.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    In every interview I've ever seen/read with him, he always ends up getting heated trying to express some non-point.

"Ca'I say dis one? Ca'I say dis one? DOMINATION, BABY."

My wife pointed that out, too. I'm guessing it was a fake diamond; it's hard to imagine that dude is really paid like that.

For what it's worth, I suspect that also holds true for Raekwon.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Man, VH1 has kinda been killing it. White RApper, now this.

• Man, VH1 has kinda been killing it. White RApper, now this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GEEKING FOR TONITE'S EPISODE.

• working late sucks.