Kings of Reggae

meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
What a disappointing sleeper. Disc 2 (sting international) digs a little deeper, but Rodigan's disc should be called "Roots 101" or some shit...The Harder they Come? Police and Thieves? Great songs, but come on...Pretty much all readily available album cuts...yawn.http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=730003906626&itm=2Disc 1 (rodigan)1. Satta Massa Gana - The Abyssinians2. To the Foundation - Dennis Brown3. Back to Aftica - Aswad4. Marcus Garvey - Burning Spear5. Dreamland - Marcia Griffiths6. Freedom - Chuck Fender, Richie Spice7. Caan Hold Us Down - Daddy Rings, , Barrington Levy8. Messenger9. Police & Thieves - Junior Murvin10. Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff11. Police in Helicopter12. Big Ship - Freddie McGregor13. Come Down Father - Beres Hammond14. Splashing, Dashing - Garnett Silk15. Two Sevens Clash16. Blackheart Man17. FishermanDisc 2 1. Caress Me Girl - Dennis Brown2. Love I Can Fell [80s Version]3. Mi Have Fi Get You - Josey Wales4. Informer - Coco Tea5. Work Us So Hard6. Over Me7. Roll Call8. Tempa9. Lazy Body10. Here I Come - Dennis Brown11. Fattie Boom Boom - Ranking Dread12. Rude Boy - Sammy Dread13. M16 - Lone Ranger14. Trouble You a Trouble Me - Ini Kamoze15. Arleen16. Stylee17. Shaggy and Rayvon Show - Rayvon,

Comments

• Who buys reggae cd compilations anyways...

Most of those Studio One comps on Soul Jazz were really good. The Bullwackie ones too.

Most of those Studio One comps on Soul Jazz were really good. The Bullwackie ones too.

Yeah great for when I'm doing my homework with some ganja

• The soul jazz comps are pretty similar to the comp listed, a bunch of songs youve heard before for the most part with maybe like a track or two you really need (roots 2 and the studio one woman are maybe the exception) the new one with screw gone a northcoast is the same story. Dont get me wrong I like souljazz doing great sounding studio one repops, but the catalog is so deep, we dont need the obvious stuff (thats what 80's heartbeat comps are for)

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Who buys reggae cd compilations anyways...

...the same people who still buy and sell vinyl

• The soul jazz comps are pretty similar to the comp listed, a bunch of songs youve heard before for the most part with maybe like a track or two you really need (roots 2 and the studio one woman are maybe the exception) the new one with screw gone a northcoast is the same story. Dont get me wrong I like souljazz doing great sounding studio one repops, but the catalog is so deep, we dont need the obvious stuff (thats what 80's heartbeat comps are for)

Dude, how can you compare studio one tracks on soul jazz comps (most of which were singles) to readily available album cuts that any asshole can get from borders or barnes and noble? Those soul jazz cuts are really not available elsewhere. But two sevens clash or blackheart man or police and thieves or Satta Massagana...C'mon. that shit has been available since it came out...Soul Jazz is unearthing some gems...David Rodigan, unfortunately, did not. He is the "King of Reggae," but he doesn't show it on this one.

• yeah meistro is on point - the soul jazz catalogue runs deep

• for example...Soul Jazz just released this: Studio One Rub-a-Dub
    Now I am not a David Rodigan "king of reggae" but I feel I know a fair amount. This shit is DEEP. Don't know a single cut but I'm sure it's all heat...

My Conversation
    - Cornell Campbell
    Screw Gone A North Coast
    - Lone Ranger
    Danger In Your Eyes
    - Judah Eskender Tafari
    Minister For Ganja
    - Rapper Robert & Jim Brown
    How Could You Leave
    - Freddie McGregor
    Give Love
    - Barry Brown
    White Belly Rat
    - Len Allen Jnr
    Forgive Them
    - Johnny Osbourne
    Natural Mystic
    - Jennifer Lara
    Happiness
    - Horace Andy
    Pirate
    - Rapper Robert & Jim Brown
    Keep On Moving
    - Willie Williams
    Jah A The Creator
    - Papa Michigan & General Smiley
    Empty Belly
    - The Ethiopian
    No Mash Up The Dance
    - Earl 16
    Forward To Jah
    - The Jay Tees
    Natty Chalwa
    - Lone Ranger

• this Rodigan bloke has a soundclash up on his site, its not too bad, no police & thieves but

http://www.rodigan.com/intro/selecta/audiofiles/rodigan_dubplate_jan07.mp3

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Thanks hugh sounds good.

• Prolly really not worth a return post-pissing contest but here goes...

If you think souljazz comps run deep then by allmeans go buy them, however most people that have been into buying reggae for I dont know, 10 years + already have all that stuff, and the idea that souljazz is sitting on the studio one vaults putting out another tune that was/is/and has been easily available is sort of a let down. I guess people need to start somewhere, Im not mad at 'em. It would just be neat if they dug deeper. Like I said the roots two and the studio one woman had a few suprises, but most of them have one song you want and a whole bunch you dont need. And as far as the who buys reggae comps question with an lame ass answer like, people who buy and sell records??? Im sure that comp would never come out on record, so for that reason alone your response was ghey.

• pablescooter, nothing wrong with a continued discussion of things, but the weak sauce slanders can stay with you .. as it is the comp in question is available on vinyl, I just checked

if you're well familiar with the studio one back catalogue good for you, relative to some of the 'Kings of' tracklisting, the soul jazz comps certainly run deeper, especially if you live somewhere where there was never a huge cache of studio one OG's in the first place (Australia/NZ in this instance) .. I even know guys out here with heavyweight collections that scoop soul jazz comps on the regular, if you want to chin stroke over the tracklists go right ahead, meistro's point was that the 'kings of' tracklisting had some pretty 101 cuts on it & I agree ... and not to pick on 'Police and Thieves' but that for example was a massive tune and can be found on lots of comps from the 1970's, and those for what its worth even made it onto the shelves out this way, i.e. the 'This is Reggae Music ' series

• coming from a reggae novice stand point i've found the souljazz comps a top notch introduction to good ish, the 500% dynamite comp and studio one funk getting serious rotation right now.

anybody check oput the blunted in the..... series on antidote? mixes by madlib, shortkut & the nextmen, all

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    coming from a reggae novice stand point i've found the souljazz comps a top notch introduction to good ish, the 500% dynamite comp and studio one funk getting serious rotation right now.

anybody check oput the blunted in the..... series on antidote? mixes by madlib, shortkut & the nextmen, all

Having a SoulJazz S1 comp is better than having no access to S1 music at all, but their treatment of the S1 catalog has got to count as one of the most massive wasted opportunities in the history of music reissues. Just scandalously bad.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    this Rodigan bloke has a soundclash up on his site, its not too bad, no police & thieves but

Thats Sir David Rodigan to you.

Rodigan murks you and everyone know.

• SoulJazz S1 comp has got to count as one of the most massive wasted opportunities in the history of music reissues. Just scandalously bad.

• coming from a reggae novice stand point i've found the souljazz comps a top notch introduction to good ish, the 500% dynamite comp and studio one funk getting serious rotation right now.

Having a SoulJazz S1 comp is better than having no access to S1 music at all, but their treatment of the S1 catalog has got to count as one of the most massive wasted opportunities in the history of music reissues. Just scandalously bad.

please elaborate. unscrupulious business practices, holding back gems, ??

• Having a SoulJazz S1 comp is Just scandalously bad.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    What you've missed is that he broke most of those acts in the UK. He was almost single-handedly responsible for giving most of these artists international airplay for the first time. Rodigan has also done a forces radio show for years, broadcasting all over Europe reaching millions of people. And for the uninitiated, that comp's a pretty good reggae primer. Don't hate on Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrodigan.

• What you've missed is that he broke most of those acts in the UK. He was almost single-handedly responsible for giving most of these artists international airplay for the first time. Rodigan has also done a forces radio show for years, broadcasting all over Europe reaching millions of people. And for the uninitiated, that comp's a pretty good reggae primer. Don't hate on Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrodigan.

Too right, I'm not sure its possible to stress just how influential David Rodigan is. Hes the John Peel (or Keb Darge to put it into SS perspective) of reggae. Of course hes unknown outside the UK or Europe so you'll get people from Kentucky who just need to be told. If they don't care to listen to the they can stay

Have a listen to the mix posted because its basically a huge tribute from a whole heap of reggae artists past and present.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    From my experience of the reggae dancehall scene (apart from a soundclash), its not raer obsessed like the funk or northern scene.
    I mean, you'll hear a dj drop a common Bob Marley tune in their set and the crowd will go crazy for it. Now if you drop some common James Brown tune, at some funk nights, chances are, it'll have the exact opposite effect.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    From my experience of the reggae dancehall scene (apart from a soundclash), its not raer obsessed like the funk or northern scene.
    I mean, you'll hear a dj drop a common Bob Marley tune in their set and the crowd will go crazy for it. Now if you drop some common James Brown tune, at some funk nights, chances are, it'll have the exact opposite effect.

So true, people want the classics....
    Every danchall set is gonna hit Stalag, Sleng Teng and so on.

• From my experience of the reggae dancehall scene (apart from a soundclash), its not raer obsessed like the funk or northern scene.

That's fine. And I'm dissing Rodigan AT ALL. Dude is a legend, no doubt. My only point is that the tracklisting of his disc does not really live up to the rest of the the "Kings Of____" series. They are good legendary tracks - some of the most famous of the genre - but it looks like some college trustifarian mixtape. Sure he broke some of the artists outside Jamaica, but I cannot even begin to imagine how deep dude's collection is...I just wish (and I guess expected) that he would have dug a little deeper for this one.

It is one thing to hear classic songs you have heard a million times get played by djs - I do like hearing the reggae classics. It's another thing entirely to go out and buy them.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    meistromoco - I wasn't really disagreeing with you. Just saying that he's obviously taken a different approach to compiling his tracklist. He hasn't come at it from a 'diggin' perspective. Its not the same thing as, say the Muro mix, where its pretty much all about the raers. Rodigan has compiled a list of artists who could be called the 'kings of reggae'.

• Having a SoulJazz S1 comp is better than having no access to S1 music at all, but their treatment of the S1 catalog has got to count as one of the most massive wasted opportunities in the history of music reissues. Just scandalously bad.

How so? And what would've been better considering a) the massive catalogue and b) the current market? Curious to hear.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    That Rodigan dubplate mix is serious shit. I would love to check out one of his nights in London sometime.

• That Rodigan dubplate mix is serious shit.