Dubstep

2»

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    dubstep= drum and bass

Easy listening = Jazz

Haha...no but seriously it is all about the elements.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    It's mainly all about bass though.

That??s saying a lot!

Well that's the philosophy. One main element, and anything else goes. Of course there are guidelines but at the same time it's encouraged that people drift away from them.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Parson/Crisp Arson + company from Austin, Texas

http://texasdnb.com/crisparson/Parson_-_Tractor_Pull-2006.zip

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's just drum and bass right....

I didn't know people still cared about that stuff.
    Remember when they called it "jungle"?

you are right. Dubstep is nothing else than drum and bass at a lower speed. Anyway, defining styles of dance music (especially originating from London) has always been hilarious. You can have a great time if you simply ask people about the difference of Jungle and DnB or speed garage and house or broken beat, grime, dubstep, breakbeats, hardcore

I guess you're not wrong in saying Dubstep is slowed down d&b, but then you could say d&b is just sped up hiphop. The old d&b scene has definately adopted dubstep, which isn't surprising seeing as the d&b scene was pretty dead.

as for the rest, here goes..

Jungle - early form of d&b

DnB - when the music and scene moved away from its beginings (jugle,house,hardcore), they wanted to classiffy it as something seperate/new.

Speed garage - more of a buzz word really, for 2step.

2step/UK garage - the music has a familiar stepper beat. As a reaction against the darkness and common violence of the dnb scene, the garage/2step scene was all about having a good time. This was reflected in the music.

House - there are many variations of house, (from US style garage, to Hard Techno all get lumped under this banner) it would take too long and be very dull to explain.

Broken Beat - Heavily influenced by Us Garage, and born from the the ashes of dnb and acid jazz. Mixes ellements of all, but mainly defined by the freeform structure of the beat. Like taking a garage track and putting jazz drums behind it but keeping the 4/4 dance tempo.

Grime - A reaction against the light, fluffy, happy, 2step scene, the music turns darker, MCs get more 'lyrical' start talking about 'ghetto life'. The, now easy availability of simple music software/computers means that any ghetto yute can produce a track in his bedroom, and the music production values reflects this.

Dubstep - The whiteboi version of grime.

Breakbeats - never used this term

Hardcore - early rave music like Prodigy

hope that clears things up for you.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Maybe you guys should check out this board instead....
    http://www.anthems.com/board/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=3f051a6596eb24ecbd170723edd8f166

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

huh? I already knew the "differences".
    I simply wanted to point out that especially London and the related music press is world famous for inventing "new" music genres every year.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

huh? I already knew the "differences".
    I simply wanted to point out that especially London and the related music press is world famous for inventing "new" music genres every year.

Relax, the tongue was definately in the cheek.

But for the styles you listed I wouldn't say they were 'created' buy the music press at all. Most have clearly defined musical parameters and scenes. And they span a good 20 odd years.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    easy.

of course, it is not all the same and genre boundaries can be useful - to each his own.
    DnB, dubstep, grime, broken beat...= first of all BASS (not to see the wood for the trees)

All that shit sounds the same to me!

• for people who like hip hop you would probably want to check out a kid named "dj nappy"

he knows the dub-step sound can get boring, he has fixed this....but he is no cheap gimmick, the kid does some nice work even though he uses alot of other peoples beats

• Personally, I don't think Dubstep had fuck all to do with drum n bass.

This has changed recently, as there has been MANY a ship jumper of late,
    I'm not sure that the influx of (some jaded) ex D&B heads is what the music really needed, but it has been pushing some parts of the scene in an interesting direction.

I have had one ear on the evolution through house, garage, speed garage, 2 step, grime side of things for a while now, as there is always someone/something interesting cropping up every now and again, but the most interesting part of that evolution was listening to dubstep work its way out of the London grime sound. Those guys just kept stripping more and more away from grime until it started becoming something else.

I think Dubstep took a lot of it's influences from the same places as drum n bass did (the early UK reggae/dub sound system scene, hip hop, early 90's hardcore) hence the parallels that always get pointed out, but I think on the most part, the sound evolved quite independently of drum n bass.

my 2 cents anyway.

wow this thread is bringing out all sortsa peoples i never hearduh befoing.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    from talking to kode09 about it dubstep has more to do with Dub music then drum and bass. You have a lot of ex-dnb producers making it who were getting quite tired of the rigidity of the dnb formula that has become fairly set in stone at this point
    (aside from some sub-sub genres of dnb like the drumfunk stuff). Also you have a lot of ex-2step and grime producers making it that got tired of how those genres went much more mainstream. but kode was saying very specifically that the music has more to do with the sounds of the carribean then what was already there in london.

because of the backgrounds of many of the scenes early figures you have a lot of sonic similarities to dnb. that can make a person think its just slowed down dnb but it isnt. Dnb is between 160-178 bpm or so with a distinct drum pattern. dubstep, to me, doesnt have to even have drums (sign of the dub as an example) its all about a heavy subbass tone and *whatever else the producer finds necessary to create the intended feel of the track*. now, if that is by addition of sounds or by subtraction of commonly used sounds (such as drums which I mentioned before) then so be it.

I like the stuff. I think dnb is alright, I had a period of really being into it but its just bleh to me right now. dubstep is much more experimental to me and I like that. I think my interest will wain once the scene moves out of this period of figuring itself out and people that want to jump on the bandwagon just copy the lead dudes and everything starts sounding the same.....like dnb

there are us dubstep acts out there. I ran across some at boomkat.com