Budos Band just blew my mind

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Just walked through the door after 2 hours of ripping funk. Second set was scorching. Band is getting to record their next album so they played a lot of new material. I really dig what they are doing with Afro-Beat. In a fairness it's not even afro-beat per se. They set up like Africa 70s but musically it's straight American r+b/funk horn arrangements with latin and african rhythms. The new stuff is very adventurous, almost middle eastern sounding in parts. Great rearrangement of MY GIRL. I don't think I ever heard anyone fuck with the beat like that before. One of those sacred cows that gets played str8 because it's so good. ANyway, Seattle check these mofos out tomorrow night. Vancouver the day after.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    WHY MUST I CRY AND NOT BE 21. They hit SC on Sunday and I heard it was a dope show, killed me not to be able to go. Time to step up the fake ID game.

• love these dudes. the first track on their album is my jam!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Live is like the albumx10. Yeah, not really much afrobeat in there, Aynotchesh Yererfu (Ethiopiques cover) and Volcano Song are facemelters. And the first single. And they got braekz.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the album is the cover art if off the hook too.
    i love the first vocal track after the heavy guitar one.
    when he says millionaire its like a deutch/french/cuban accent

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Budos vocals are (to find)

• It's all about seeing these guys play in a bar the size of your kitchen, in danger of being accidentally smacked in the eye by one of the percussionists. Much love for the Lucky Cat.

Saw em play SOB's and they still sounded great but it just wasn't as.. palpable. that's the word.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Doug Fir, where they played last night, is one of the best venues I have ever been to. Sound is kicking, atmosphere is great. Sharon Jones absolutely blew the place apart last year.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    did they do any el michael's stuff?
    as far as recordings
    el michael's > sharon jones

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    as far as recordings

No El Michael's for you.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

It's all about seeing these guys play in a bar the size of your kitchen, in danger of being accidentally smacked in the eye by one of the percussionists. Much love for the Lucky Cat.

Saw em play SOB's and they still sounded great but it just wasn't as.. palpable. that's the word.

The problem with SOB's is those stupid pillars that probably hold the building up or something ... and $10 drinks.

Marc, GV was at the Cat last Friday big pimpin. We should coordinate next time.

• do anyone know how much it would cost to bring them to my neck of the woods, and whom i would contact?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    as far as recordings

apples and oranges rully. I mean Sharon can't play sax.

PS: I heard El Michels Affair is playing in NYC this weekend with .......... THE RUB DJs. Movshon vs Larry Graham.