New Orleans spots

kemskems 120 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I'm heading up there this weekend, but i'll be with my old lady so I won't have time to be serious, but anything close to downtown or the french quarter that isn't going to try and cut my arm off and has some good stuff would be greatly appreciated. Gracias.

Comments

• if you're not afraid to spend money Jim Russells; if you just want to see a load of split seam recodds - Rock & Roll Collectables.... Paging Aleit!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Close to downtown.

hmmmm...

In the quarter there are only two shops left:

New Orleans Music Factory: (the records are upstairs: actually not a terrible selection although stock doesn't rotate that often. I've found some amazing records there though

Rock N' Roll Collectibles: no idea what's going on there these days. I haven't been in there since months before Katrina. I would recommend if you do plan on going there, bring trades with you. The pricing structure is akin to trying to decipher the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Jim Russell's - a little ways uptown but certainly accessible from downtown - always something to dig through there although not sure what they're buying these days.

If you had time for a daytrip, i'd highly recommend heading out to Goldmine's in Gulfport, MS - about a hour drive. I always have a blast there and despite lack of shoes and stogey smoking, the owners are really nice people. i stop whenever i'm out that way.

that's really it outside of thrift stores / fleas on the weekends.

good luck!

• If you have a saturday/sunday, drive an hour to Baton Rouge for the Baton Rouge flea market, it's something like 40 acres. treated me decent when I was a LA resident, but not a good spot if you're a

• Close to downtown.

hmmmm...

In the quarter there are only two shops left:

New Orleans Music Factory: (the records are upstairs: actually not a terrible selection although stock doesn't rotate that often. I've found some amazing records there though

Rock N' Roll Collectibles: no idea what's going on there these days. I haven't been in there since months before Katrina. I would recommend if you do plan on going there, bring trades with you. The pricing structure is akin to trying to decipher the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Jim Russell's - a little ways uptown but certainly accessible from downtown - always something to dig through there although not sure what they're buying these days.

If you had time for a daytrip, i'd highly recommend heading out to Goldmine's in Gulfport, MS - about a hour drive. I always have a blast there and despite lack of shoes and stogey smoking, the owners are really nice people. i stop whenever i'm out that way.

that's really it outside of thrift stores / fleas on the weekends.

good luck!

isnt music factory the one in the quarter w/ all the 7"s from T**** three way slidin in?

goldmines is clutch, Richard and Kimberly are hella boss. They brought a buncha stuff from their storage after the storm to replace a bunch of wax that got tossed when the roof got messed up. cond. is spotty on alot a pieces though.

jim russells is a joke unless you wave paper in his face, even then,

• i found some joints in jim russels. gold cup,scram,etc
    him and his pop strike me as sheisty though, but thats a snap judgement

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i found some joints in jim russels. gold cup,scram,etc

i've bought more at Jim Russell's than i care to recount.
    there are records all over the place there.
    go in the shop
    look to the heavens
    and know that records weigh above you.

Shadiest dudes i know.
    Impossible to deal with.
    but both are hardly in the shop anymore.

hairybelafonte:
    not sure what you mean.
    i certainly know a guy known as three way but no T**** in the name.

goldmine's is the shit.
    i absolutely love that shop.
    used to go once a month
    usually at least a half day/all day thing though.
    they always offer me a soda or drink when i come.
    on a few occasions, they've even picked up a sandwich for me for lunch.
    good folks.

• i found some joints in jim russels. gold cup,scram,etc

i've bought more at Jim Russell's than i care to recount.
    there are records all over the place there.
    go in the shop
    look to the heavens
    and know that records weigh above you.

Shadiest dudes i know.
    Impossible to deal with.
    but both are hardly in the shop anymore.

hairybelafonte:
    not sure what you mean.
    i certainly know a guy known as three way but no T**** in the name.

goldmine's is the shit.
    i absolutely love that shop.
    used to go once a month
    usually at least a half day/all day thing though.
    they always offer me a soda or drink when i come.
    on a few occasions, they've even picked up a sandwich for me for lunch.
    good folks.

triple- theres joints there for sure (int. city?, yada yada) but doods just too much to deal with (or not enough dependin how you look at it) but
    sheeeeesh. anyway, gold cup,scram, whatchoo tryn to say....
    ps-whatsa deal on aeiou3?

ari- i've picked up tons upstairs at music factory that had t3w or tw on the deadwax in greasepen/??? and the guy was telling me they were comin outta eddies. i dunno where i got the t from, prolly from the grapes..

WHOS GOT AN ARRTHUR DILLON FOR ME????

• kemskems 120 Posts
    I'll probably just try and hit up the two that are still located in the quarter. Thanks to all who replied. It's definitely appreciated. Peace.

• WHOS GOT AN ARRTHUR DILLON FOR ME????

still got that one - PM me some trades.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    What about spots to see some good live jazz?

• What about spots to see some good live jazz?

I saw some face-melting double bass clarinet action at this place called The Dragon's Den, which was located above a restaurant w/ a rickshaw out front on the street that is the eastern border of the French Quarter. They say it was once an opium den and I believe it.

• kemskems 120 Posts

I saw some face-melting double bass clarinet action at this place called The Dragon's Den, which was located above a restaurant w/ a rickshaw out front on the street that is the eastern border of the French Quarter. They say it was once an opium den and I believe it.

gracias amigo.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

unfortunately, i don't know if they've opened up again since the hurricane.
    great spot, used to know the guy that ran the bar upstairs and stop in there late nights.

but the hey-day of the Den was long over... the owners would not fix it up, stock the bar, hence they lost a lot of business.

good spot for jazz?

go to Donna's on Rampart
    used to always be something good going on there.

or you could go to Vaughn's in the Bywater.
    sure something's jumping over there.
    maybe kermit ruffin doing his weekly thing again.

• Hey
    I'm heading out there in April.

Where's Jim Russell's ??. Anybody got an address??

Thanks
    Mo

• kemskems 120 Posts

unfortunately, i don't know if they've opened up again since the hurricane.
    great spot, used to know the guy that ran the bar upstairs and stop in there late nights.

but the hey-day of the Den was long over... the owners would not fix it up, stock the bar, hence they lost a lot of business.

good spot for jazz?

go to Donna's on Rampart
    used to always be something good going on there.

or you could go to Vaughn's in the Bywater.
    sure something's jumping over there.
    maybe kermit ruffin doing his weekly thing again.

Thank you so much. All of your help is greatly appreciated.

• Wasn't there a place called Magic Bus in the French Quarter?

edit: found it:

631 Toulouse St
    New Orleans, LA 70130
    (504) 523-3727

I thought I remembered picking up something there. It was a few years ago, though.

• Where's Jim Russell's ??. Anybody got an address??

superpages.com

cats are mad lazy

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Wasn't there a place called Magic Bus in the French Quarter?

edit: found it:

631 Toulouse St
    New Orleans, LA 70130
    (504) 523-3727

I thought I remembered picking up something there. It was a few years ago, though.

magic bus left with the storm.
    owner is now out in texas.

• BigBBigB 30 Posts
    Magic Bus: never reopened

Dragon's Den: new management, now with a coffeeshop on the first floor instead of the Thai rest. still some interesting live jazz and eclectic stuff.

Jim Russel's sucks on principle.. don't like the dudes. Find a record you like and get it priced.. fun. One time I walked in and they meekly told me there was a buy one get one half price sale.. maybe you will get lucky.

there's a new rec shop in town.. just opened. don't remember the name. friends say its good. on bayou st. john i think.

virgin never reopened.. tower's shut down = no more places in the quarter to buy new music... not that's what you wanted, but FYI.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    Where's Jim Russell's ??. Anybody got an address??

superpages.com

cats are mad lazy

not lazy man, just actually work when i'm at work. no computadora at home. Hence the minimal amount of posts since joining this site in 2004. Thanks again to everyone for the help. I'm flying tomorrow. Peace.