Digging in London

BabylonWillFallBabylonWillFall 11 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Yo what places in london are cool to dig with a portable vestax???alot of places i been are kinda funny about using a portable in their shop....holla

Comments

• Unfortunately quite a few place don't keep the records in their sleeves. Makes using a portable pretty tricky...

• BlowFlyBlowFly 89 Posts
    Portables are best taken to the markets - Portobello on a sunday is quite good. There is a bald guy called Mike under the bridge who is pretty good. He usually keeps his best stuff outside of the boxes hes got on display.

Some other guys usually come down as well, including the guy with the ??1 box of 7s. Get there early.

On saturday there is the Croatian guy with the dark hair and the overcoat. He might have a player already, but hes happy to let you use a portable - helps to sell records innit?

There are some guys with stalls close to the main road - they all suck - unless you wanna pay a fortune for some Jean Michell Jarre or are looking for a copy of 5000 volts of Holt.

Don't go to the hipster guy further up Portobello Road - hes trying to flog ??5 lps for a 10er and is into seriously suckful music. The guys up on Golbourne road are a waste of time unless you like trawlign through loads of Rod Stewart and Classical LPs.

The reggae guy who is sometimes opposite honest jons can be pretty good.

• yea thats blessed info... never been to portobello, always thought it was full of trendy fags... (no homophobic)

i will head down this sunday and peep that shit... im down for some 7" lots...

peace fam

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Gerald Jazzman in Camden Market on Sats/Suns has some heat.

• BlowFlyBlowFly 89 Posts
    Its full of trendy fuckers but at least its not East London.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Yo what places in london are cool to dig with a portable vestax???

alot of places i been are kinda funny about using a portable in their shop....

holla

Hi

The people at Vinyl Vulture did a diggers guide to London.
    I think it can be useful. If you want, peep it at:

The Diggers Guide to London

Peace

• Just remembered a spot in Wandsworth in South West London. It used to be called Sound Source Records but changed hands a couple of years ago. You might find some heat there but from what I remember it ain't cheap.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That guide needs updating. Mole Jazz is now on Great Marlborough Street, above the classical record spot next to the Coach and Horses. Rustla hasn't been at Spitalfields for at least a year now (at least not on Sundays) and I'm not sure Vinyl Junkies is still open, though I may be thinking of another spot there.

A couple of places that aren't on their map; Selectadisc on Berwick Street is good for cheap reissues, bargain price hip-hop (I saw double vinyl Supreme Clientele for ??7 in there recently) and sundry other oddities. There's a guy on Spitalfields market that has loads of 45's and LPs. It leans to the pop/rock side of things, but he has plenty of jazz and soul as well. You'll need to dig, but I usually find some good stuff there. Also, Rat Records on Camberwell New Road used to be great, but I've not been for a couple of years now. Get the tube to Elephant & Castle or Oval, and take any bus to Camberwell Green. When I used to go there regularly, the thing I liked most about it was that shit was priced to sell. They didn't carry a lot of super-raer shit, but I'd scoop some nice bargains on the reg. Unless they've changed their pricing policy, don't expect to pay much more than ??7-8 for anything that isn't a wall piece, and often a lot less. Sound Source in Wandsworth was still there six months ago - good for Modern Soul, as is Soul Brother down the road near East Putney railway station, although they don't exactly give anything away there - lots of raers at raers prices.

• blessed man ima go check camberwell today even... thats in my area...

peace

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

except he hasn't been at Camden Market for a year or so. online only now...

• Hi guys,

has anyone been to Haggle Vinyl on Essex road? I can also recommend Disque on Chapel Market near Angel, good for picking up re-issues and double vinyl comps etc at reasonable prices, nice for stuff you missed on picking up when it came out plus good for new releases to, friendly guys, always happy to let you listen to a rack of stuff.

cheers,
    James (reppin' Dalston)

ps. the pricks out east very much live in and around old st. Lots of cool, chilled, friendly people in whitechapel, mile end, hackney, dalstons, and good bars here and there with no fins or mullets if you know where to look - West London still gets the gas face!

• Been to Haggle Vinyl, but found it a little to pricey... maybe I'm just a cheapskate

Check out Flashback on Essex Road (near Haggle) for some potential cheapness.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    haggle vinyl has a good selection but too expensive for me. they have a site here:

http://www.hagglevinyl.com

where's the rustler these days? still around?

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    The vinyl exchange in Notting Hill is good for new promos, but for old records the prices can be crazy, VG Promised Heights - ??80 anyone? They do mark things down the longer things are in the shop though. recently got 'So Much Trouble On My Mind' 45 for ??2, not too bad.

There's also a DVD / Movie branch further down the road, where they keep all the (80s) librarys and over priced OSTs.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Gerald's landlord got silly with the rent so Jazzman's online only these days but Camden market still has a couple of stalls in the Stables Market area. Also check out Across the Floor in Inverness Street in Camden, although like someone else said a lot of places only put the covers out in the racks...

If you get time try Alan's Records in Finchley - a 25 minute tube ride plus a 5 minute walk from the centre. Nothing else up there but Alan's is great. Tons of stuff to sift through and you always pull something nice. Never what you were looking for but nice all the same.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    Nothing else up there but Alan's is great.

yeah, Alan's a nice guy. i live not far.