Edan appreciation

ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I just listened to Beauty and the Beat again (after two spliffs) and all I can think of is what a creative dude he is. He gives nerdy white cats like me hope His beats always seem to inspire me to experiment with all different kinds of wax. Anybody else dig him ?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yes that lp is ill
    if this is backpaker shit them let's climb the mountain
    psychadelic hop
    i hope he never "makes it" so we keep getting good releases like that one
    also he is sick live with the cutting and rapping at the same time
    sheesh

• Yeah I want to see him live badly, but living where I live and being too young to drive (15) makes it virtually impossible. I'm sure the folks don't want to drive ten hours for a hip hop show . I've seen videos of the cutting/rapping and it's dumb fresh..Only other cat I've heard does that is J-Live, who also deserves a thread haha. I'm anxious as hell for a new release - Any word on him dropping anything soon ?

• For anybody still on the fence about this cat's lyrical mastery - http://youtube.com/watch?v=b4Bos_Q1MsE

Skip up to about 14 minutes into it when they get off the stage and just rhyme back to back - His flow is unparalleled right now IMO. Insight/Dagha ain't bad either..

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    His flow is unparalleled right now

Where did you people come from?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    someone on soulstrut dissed him
    and on cue he showed up like

"hey mousey ...before you ride off into the sunset on your harley smokin a marlboro........

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"hey mousey ...before you ride off into the sunset on your harley smokin a marlboro........

Actually, that was me - and I wasn't dissing him, I
    was making fun of the erotic digger fiction that was
    taking place in the thread ala "I saw Primo eating a
    $6 cupcake while digging one-handed at The Thing" -
    and he didn't show up "on cue" so much as find the thread
    3 months later and revive it ...

... having said all that, I did get a laugh out of his
    response, I couldn't deny the comedy of it, and I took my
    lumps ...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    His flow is unparalleled right now

Where did you people come from?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I must have missed this. Anyone have a link?

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    edan the dj. hes the beeeessssst! (but seriously, he is)

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Edan is

• edan the dj. hes the beeeessssst! (but seriously, he is)

I agree Fast Rap is my shit, but as a rapper/producer I

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Here's a good quote

This is performance is simply legendary. LEGENDARY! straight into hip hop anals

Why is dude wearing a tie to his hip hop performance? These tunes are ok. Nothing earth shattering here.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    Why is dude wearing a tie to his hip hop performance? These tunes are ok. Nothing earth shattering here.

the same reason he used to wear (what i hope was) a wig.
    thats just his thing. i hope that doesnt change your opinion of his music.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    *shrug

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    PS that wasn't a wig

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    PS that ISN'T[/b] a wig

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i saw him perform in a cub scout uniform.
    he is fun to watch dj and rappin at the same time. funny dude.

id love to sample psych, but my mcs look at me weird when i do.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    run that shit is pretty funny
    otherwise i'm ok sleeping

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    he was in my dream last night, not joking

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Yeah I want to see him live badly, but living where I live and being too young to drive (15) makes it virtually impossible. I'm sure the folks don't want to drive ten hours for a hip hop show . I've seen videos of the cutting/rapping and it's dumb fresh..Only other cat I've heard does that is J-Live, who also deserves a thread haha. I'm anxious as hell for a new release - Any word on him dropping anything soon ?

im a big fan. one the few hip hop artists i check for. "beauty and the beat" is up there with "paul's botique" and "three feet and rising" for me.

ive seen him live with dooley "o". he won't disapoint even though i think dooley "o" stole the show on the mic.

i know people on the board will have mixed feelings about edan. even if you can't get away with his voice or rhymes you have to give his production props.

my faves are "sing it shit face" and "mc's smoke crack (remix)" as well as liking "beauty and the beat" lp. infact both his lp are worthy.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ANYBODY UP ON HIs first album Artchitecture?
    i like it.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

ive seen him live with dooley "o". he won't disapoint even though i think dooley "o" stole the show on the mic.

Saw the video footage of that tour & two things really struck me:
    1. Edan's performance (2 MC's back & forth, echobox, acoustic guitar, theremin, kazoo, etc) really kept it moving and was very interesting/engaging.
    2. His fans were singing along to that "Colors" song like it was MOP's "Ante Up" or somthing! The UK audiences knew every word to every one of his songs.

P.S. Dooley had, uh, NO stage show at all in comparison.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i hope he never "makes it"

HARSH

• ANYBODY UP ON HIs first album Artchitecture?
    i like it.

not as good as prim plus and not a patch on beauty, crazy raw sounding though, also sounds like his nuts hadn't dropped yet. seen him live twice, once with insight & once with dagah, the latter being the best gig i've been to in a very very very long time. saw dooley-o the same night, as much as i liked his album and enjoyed seeing him live, in retrospect his show wasn't up to much at all. yeah edan is a pretty big deal over here (british isles) mainly because hes signed to a uk label (lewis).

anyway, he da man

• edan a good dood

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

I must have missed this. Anyone have a link?

least i can do after downloading your entire album

• Edan is one of the illest of this decade if you ask me, but where is he now?...

Beauty & The Beat was my favourite album of 2005..but it's been a while since we heard from him.

• ANYBODY UP ON HIs first album Artchitecture?
    i like it.

Artchitecture's all right. Got nothin on his other three releases though..

• Edan brings out the low-post counters.

I really liked "Run That Shit"

• i need to listen to beauty and the beat more, but "clinical rymes" is absolutely ridiculous. id check out a live show in a second